Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel like a bad doggy mum

• 06-04-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

For the first time since i got Cooper about 9mths ago i am making him sleep outside tonight :( He stole 3/4 of a pork back from the kitchen bench and i'm pretty sure it will go through him and it won't be pretty :eek: I'd rather not be cleaning up a mess at evil o'clock if i don't hear him in time so he is outside. It's not cold or wet and he has the shed with his bed but i still feel bad :(. Of course if he starts to whine or howl I'll let him in and hope for the best. Maybe he'll look on it as an adventure or a sleep out :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ooohhhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo!
    Poor Cooper! out there all night in the dark on his own!!!
    Oh your are a hard cruel doggy mum
    :D
    Let us know tomorrow if you lasted the night, or rather if Cooper lasted the night outside. My money is on the dog!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Er, what would making him sleep outside teach him. Unless he is used to sleeping outside this exercise is kind of pointless. He ate something you left within reach, maybe you should sleep outside to remind you not to be so silly :) ( I don't really mean this, but using this in terms of lesson learned).

Er, what would making him sleep outside teach him. Unless he is used to sleeping outside this exercise is kind of pointless..

You should probably re-read
    and i'm pretty sure it will go through him and it won't be pretty :eek: I'd rather not be cleaning up a mess at evil o'clock if i don't hear him in time so he is outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You're a owner not a mum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You're a owner not a mum

LeinsterDub, it's a turn of phrase that I think many pet owners and regular users here "get" without actually thinking that they're their pets' biological mothers.
    Let's not get into semantics here, huh?
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Chances are he won't sleep. :) you'll cave because you probably won't sleep either.

Your options seem to be:

Leave him outside, nobody sleeps, he's not used to sleeping outside, guilt is keeping you awake.

Leave back door slightly ajar, nobody really sleeps because he's too excited at being able to get in and out, you're worried about every little noise.

You sleep on the couch so if he needs to go out, you can get there in time. You both get an ok sleep.

I think the answer is obvious :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I don't think you're being a bad mum to him, I can understand where you're coming from. At least you didn't chuck him out as a matter of disciplining him for taking something that wasn't his, you have taken note of the weather and you have provided him with shelter/a bed. That's a lot more than some people can provide their dogs.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

VonVix wrote: »
    I don't think you're being a bad mum to him, I can understand where you're coming from. At least you didn't chuck him out as a matter of disciplining him for taking something that wasn't his, you have taken note of the weather and you have provided him with shelter/a bed. That's a lot more than some people can provide their dogs.

No, I dont think Mel.B is being a bad mum either - Im just thinking that if i turfed one of my lot outside to sleep cos I wanted to avoid having to clean up the expected nightmare mess, as Whispered said, no one is going to sleep tonight!! Mel.B/Cooper are well known on here, and Cooper is obviously one well cared for dog! Of course Mel.B you do know that sods law being what it is, now that Cooper is outside, he wont puke or poo AT ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I know the feeling.My dog had very bad diarrhoea and every morning there was
    a mess waiting for me,I just cleaned it up and got on with it.
    It was obviously stressing my dog out though,as I let her out last thing one night and she ran into the kennel and lay down in the bed I have inside it.
    I have her 6 yrs and she has never gone into it at all! It always has a bed in it as
    my JRT sometimes goes in during the day,other than that it's used for storage of brushes and balls.
    No amount of coaxing would get her to come out,so I left her there but the guilt!!
    To make it worse it was a windy cold night out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Surely it will be less stressful on the dog being caught out when he is outside rather than in the house where all the training means he knows that this is not where he is meant to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It depends on the dog. I have one who would rather be left out than have to go on the floor and one who would rather poo on my head than have to sleep outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Er, what would making him sleep outside teach him. Unless he is used to sleeping outside this exercise is kind of pointless. He ate something you left within reach, maybe you should sleep outside to remind you not to be so silly :) ( I don't really mean this, but using this in terms of lesson learned).

As bluewolf pointed out i was not punishing Cooper or trying to 'teach' him a lesson - he was outside because that much raw meat was going to upset his tummy and cause some explosive dirrorhea
    Whispered wrote: »
    Chances are he won't sleep. :) you'll cave because you probably won't sleep either.

Your options seem to be:

Leave him outside, nobody sleeps, he's not used to sleeping outside, guilt is keeping you awake.

Leave back door slightly ajar, nobody really sleeps because he's too excited at being able to get in and out, you're worried about every little noise.

You sleep on the couch so if he needs to go out, you can get there in time. You both get an ok sleep.

I think the answer is obvious :p

LOL Whispered! The guilt and the straining to hear if he was ok did keep me awake for a while. I've slept on the couch once when the stairs were being painted and never again so that thought really didn't cross my mind.
    aonb wrote: »
    ooohhhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo!
    Poor Cooper! out there all night in the dark on his own!!!
    Oh your are a hard cruel doggy mum
    :D
    Let us know tomorrow if you lasted the night, or rather if Cooper lasted the night outside. My money is on the dog!!! :D

I'm proud to say we both lasted the night :) i eventually fell asleep and Cooper didn't make a peep of noise all night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Now he'll be thinking he's a very clever dog, got a nice feed and a night outside with lots of interesting stuff to sniff, probably got to chase a few birds around in the morning.

Advertisement