Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby carriers/slings/wraps

Options
  • 06-04-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for one of the above. I briefly had a loan of a ring sling when my then wee munchkin was only two weeks old. I was coming to grips with being a new parent and then we had the joy reflux thrown in. I found the ring sling fiddly and wasn't confident wearing it so we made a trip to tony kealys where we were recommended a babybjorn. I had done little to no research on slings/carriers as I did not think it would be for me :p However, when faced with a baby who screamed when lying down and my husband being back at work I bought the first thing I saw! To be fair it got us through some bad days. I was more confident wearing it and she seemed better in it than the other one. I have done my research since and now know about hip positioning and crotch dangling etc but got to like having my baby close to me. The ease of getting the bjorn on and off was appealing too. From my research I think a soft structured carrier is what we are looking for but am open to other suggestions. I'm aware of the sling meets but there does not seem to be one local to us. I know that facing out is not ideal because of over stimulation but would like it as an option for occasional short periods as our baby seems to prefer this position even when we carry her in our arms. I've seen the Beco Gemini online and this seems to allow for this while allowing for a good carry position for baby. Just wondering has anyone any experience with this or similar that they recommend? We used enjoy walking in fields with my parents dog and are now confined to roads and lanes with the buggy, would be nice to use a carrier and get back to more interesting terrain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

I have a beco gemini :) love the thing. Its comfy for me and the baby, and i have used it in town, on the beach and in woodland. Easy enough to get on and off, takes a bit of practice to do on your own but its perfectly doable.
    I got mine when baby was about two months old i think. So far I've tried baby facing in and out when carried at the front. You can also use it at the side and back i think.
    I would defo recommend it. Not cheap but worth it if you're gonna use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Roesy wrote: »
    I'm in the market for one of the above. I briefly had a loan of a ring sling when my then wee munchkin was only two weeks old. I was coming to grips with being a new parent and then we had the joy reflux thrown in. I found the ring sling fiddly and wasn't confident wearing it so we made a trip to tony kealys where we were recommended a babybjorn. I had done little to no research on slings/carriers as I did not think it would be for me :p However, when faced with a baby who screamed when lying down and my husband being back at work I bought the first thing I saw! To be fair it got us through some bad days. I was more confident wearing it and she seemed better in it than the other one. I have done my research since and now know about hip positioning and crotch dangling etc but got to like having my baby close to me. The ease of getting the bjorn on and off was appealing too. From my research I think a soft structured carrier is what we are looking for but am open to other suggestions. I'm aware of the sling meets but there does not seem to be one local to us. I know that facing out is not ideal because of over stimulation but would like it as an option for occasional short periods as our baby seems to prefer this position even when we carry her in our arms. I've seen the Beco Gemini online and this seems to allow for this while allowing for a good carry position for baby. Just wondering has anyone any experience with this or similar that they recommend? We used enjoy walking in fields with my parents dog and are now confined to roads and lanes with the buggy, would be nice to use a carrier and get back to more interesting terrain.

I used a carrier and dear god the child still weighed a tonne! I don't think they are meant to be great either for baby's hips?? But I actually don't know much about them! My friend has a "moby wrap". It's a pity about the baby wearing groups as they would be able to give you the low down! I have heard of an Aussie ring sling I think it's called "walkabout"???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi Roesy, I have a Kinderpack for E and still wear her occasionally now at 3.5 on longer walks/hikes when she is getting tired near the end etc. It is brilliant. She is over 35 lbs and I can carry her for well over an hour up on my back in the KP, where I would have to put her down after 5/10 minutes if she was in my arms. We have a preschool size one but you can also get infant, standard and toddler sizes.

There are plenty of other alternative SSC's ones include the Ergo, Tula, Manduca, Connecta etc. They all tend to have quite a good resale value too if you wanted to change or size up etc. Have you tried a loan from the Baby Wearing Ireland Sling Library? Link here. It is a great service! There facebook group will give you the low down on local meet ups, not all may necessarily have a consultant in attendance but you can get some great advice from more experience wearing parents. There is also a list of baby wearing consultants who could meet with you and talk you through the range and try to help you find something to your for you and bubs! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the Ergo carrier but try go to a sling meet or sling library and try loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

There's a sling meet in Douglas on Wednesday and another one in midleton on saturday - could you make it to either of those?
    Otherwise would you think about a sling consultation? That's what we did in the end. There are just so many different ones out there... I thought I would like the manduka, but tried it and wasn't a fan. Got to try out a fair few, borrowed two for two weeks and ended up with a kibi that we love.
    The babywearing ireland Facebook group is great, there is a cork one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Cheers for the feedback people.

Wooha, Douglas isn't really good for me but I wasn't aware of the Midleton one. Still not ideal for us but the fact that its on a Saturday would mean I could drag himself along too as he now sees just how handy it is to be able put her a carrier and get on with things. Plus for when we get back to rougher terrain for walking it would be handy for whichever one we get to suit him too. The consultation is a good idea. That might be even more convenient.

I see Ergo are launching one that sounds like it would fit our needs but it will only be available in the State for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

If there's any way you could get to visit a sling consultant, I'd so recommend it.

I'd never in a million years have thought I was one of "those" parents, who wear slings/carriers, but as it turns out sometimes it's the only way you'll get things done! And it's so lovely to have baby so close to you. :)

I decided that, if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right. So I went to a sling consultant (€20) and bought a really great sling, the Fraeulein Hubsch at €120. Worth it to know that his neck and back and hips are being correctly supported. :) But different carriers suit different people! You really need to be "fitted" correctly with the right sling.

What I'm saying is that, while this carrier is perfect for me, it mightn't be the right one for you. It is so worth visiting a sling consultant, or at least going along to a sling meet!

Here are the details for the midleton meet:

11am, Sat 12th April in Midleton Concert Band Hall, St Mary's Rd (by the Catholic Church)

Wooha wrote: »
    Here are the details for the midleton meet:

11am, Sat 12th April in Midleton Concert Band Hall, St Mary's Rd (by the Catholic Church)

Where did you go for the consultation Wooha or did the person come to your home? Husband thinks that might be the way to go when we are looking for something to suit the two of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If you knew you wanted the new ergo one - ill be in the states in a few weeks!

Im in the market for a carrier thatll suit the hubby too at the mo. He doesnt like the KAri me wrap that we have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have an Ergo and it's very good. I was very lucky to get it for free from a relative who didn't like it. That said if I was buying one for myself now, based on trying them on at babywearing groups, I'd buy a Tula. They have wider straps and a higher back so, ime, they are better for wearing a toddler on your back and that way you'll get the most use out of it.

I didn't much like the infant insert on the Ergo, so rarely used that.I used a stretch wrap for the first few months and then graduated to the Ergo as he got bigger and ceased to need the insert. I also use/d a ring sling for things where I'd be sitting, like bus trips and visits to the baby cinema as once you get the hang of it, it's easy to adjust into different positions. So you can go from a front/hip carry to a lying down position for longer sleeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I would also say go for a consult, I had my eye on a connecta but after going for consult realised that a Kibi suited my needs much better. You do really need to try them on. They should never hurt your back if they are of good quality and used correctly. You can rent from the library as well to try them out.

Roesy wrote: »
    Where did you go for the consultation Wooha or did the person come to your home? Husband thinks that might be the way to go when we are looking for something to suit the two of us.

I got the consultation with Tracey.

http://www.slingtogether.com

She'll be there on Saturday too.
    We went to her place in Cork, but I think she would come out to your house too.
    I got the hubby to come along, and you can borrow two slings for two weeks so you can try them out for a while before you decide which one suits you best.

If you knew you wanted the new ergo one - ill be in the states in a few weeks!

Im in the market for a carrier thatll suit the hubby too at the mo. He doesnt like the KAri me wrap that we have

Thanks, my mother thinks my uncle is planning a trip back here from the states in the next couple of weeks so I'll can I buy and get one delivered to him if I don't find something else I like at a consultation or meet in the meantime.

Advertisement