Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More confused than ever! where to go! (Career:Graphic Design)

Options
  • 06-04-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guys...

I thought I had my mind made up where I wanted to go (Vancouver) but the more I'm hearing and researching about it, the more I'm starting to get turned off by it.

The cost of living is quite high, and there seems to be an awful lot of vagrants, drugs, crime and poverty. Now, I know all big cities deal with that, but it seems to be something that residents living there seem to bring up.

I'm going over there alone. I'm going to be 30 this month and I'm a Graphic Designer and I'll be seeking work in that field. I originally wanted to go to Vancouver because of the scenary, and the more laid back disposition of the city in relation to other Canadian cities. I also learned that Vancouver seems to be more of the "design hub" of Canada which would ideally suit my situation.

I'm doing up a financial plan at the moment, and I need to make a decision soon on exactly where I want to go as the plan will vary hugely depending on the destination I choose. Calgary is looking more and more desirable. It might not have the same amazing views, but it seems to be an ever increasing growing city and seems to have more going for it socially than Vancouver. Vancouver seems to have horrible humidity and rains 60% of the year. I'm Irish, but even we don't get that much. I guess I'm just still a bit baffled!

If anyone can provide some advice, or merely a point of view, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pyrosever

I am not well enough informed to help with your specific circumstances, but I understand and share your sentiments.

Personally, I’m planning to leave by the end of this month, so I’m very close to booking tickets, but haven’t decided on some key aspects. I’ve all but decided on Toronto for video production work (or whatever I can get in the interim), but as my finger approaches the trigger I’m second-guessing myself more and more. On the other hand, I’ve found that as time goes on, my research into most aspects of the move has been increasingly geared towards validation of a choice already made.

In my experience, you can never do enough research, but it’s unlikely that any one place will ultimately tick all the boxes. Eventually you’ve got to roll the dice, play the hand you’re dealt, and other such platitudinous idioms.

This is where my unhelpful rant ends. Hopefully someone else will share some advice that’s more useful to your circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 TrapBack

Career: Graphic design

Might be better to stay at home, go to college and get a real career.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    Hey guys...

I thought I had my mind made up where I wanted to go (Vancouver) but the more I'm hearing and researching about it, the more I'm starting to get turned off by it.

The cost of living is quite high, and there seems to be an awful lot of vagrants, drugs, crime and poverty. Now, I know all big cities deal with that, but it seems to be something that residents living there seem to bring up.

I'm going over there alone. I'm going to be 30 this month and I'm a Graphic Designer and I'll be seeking work in that field. I originally wanted to go to Vancouver because of the scenary, and the more laid back disposition of the city in relation to other Canadian cities. I also learned that Vancouver seems to be more of the "design hub" of Canada which would ideally suit my situation.

I'm doing up a financial plan at the moment, and I need to make a decision soon on exactly where I want to go as the plan will vary hugely depending on the destination I choose. Calgary is looking more and more desirable. It might not have the same amazing views, but it seems to be an ever increasing growing city and seems to have more going for it socially than Vancouver. Vancouver seems to have horrible humidity and rains 60% of the year. I'm Irish, but even we don't get that much. I guess I'm just still a bit baffled!

If anyone can provide some advice, or merely a point of view, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you :)

Vancouver is an incredible city. I've been here for 8 months now and I'm delighted I made the move.

Nightlife isn't the best but the positives far outweigh the negatives IMO. Not sure where you're getting the humidity issue from but I haven't heard or experienced it. I can also guarantee you that if last winter is anything to go by, it rains a lot more back home.

Not sure where you heard about the crime but you've been misinformed. There's only a small part of the city that's a bit dodgy (Hastings & Main area) but even at that it's v rare to get hassle. I've been around there a good few times and it's grand. Certainly safer than Talbot St!

Fair enough, the cost of living is high but if you network in the right way and you have skills you'll pick up a decent job. The wait is tough - I was without work for 4 months and I know people who had to wait over half a year - but if you're happy networking with anyone and everyone then you'll probably be ok.

I have no regrets - Vancouver is a brilliant place. All depends on your outlook, experience and goals, obviously, but I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

TrapBack wrote: »

I'm just going to ignore your completely useless comment and something you clearly know nothing about. It's nice to know you signed up just to post that. I have a Masters in Graphic Design. :rolleyes:

Shalamov wrote: »
    Vancouver is an incredible city. I've been here for 8 months now and I'm delighted I made the move.

Nightlife isn't the best but the positives far outweigh the negatives IMO. Not sure where you're getting the humidity issue from but I haven't heard or experienced it. I can also guarantee you that if last winter is anything to go by, it rains a lot more back home.

Not sure where you heard about the crime but you've been misinformed. There's only a small part of the city that's a bit dodgy (Hastings & Main area) but even at that it's v rare to get hassle. I've been around there a good few times and it's grand. Certainly safer than Talbot St!

Fair enough, the cost of living is high but if you network in the right way and you have skills you'll pick up a decent job. The wait is tough - I was without work for 4 months and I know people who had to wait over half a year - but if you're happy networking with anyone and everyone then you'll probably be ok.

I have no regrets - Vancouver is a brilliant place. All depends on your outlook, experience and goals, obviously, but I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Thank you! Would it be ok if I PM'ed you? It's always nice getting information from someone who's actually there at the moment! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Thank you! Would it be ok if I PM'ed you? It's always nice getting information from someone who's actually there at the moment! :)

No problem

• Site Banned Posts: 348 ✭✭Khomeini

Hello,

I can give you the contact details of Mansudae... might be an idea to try and see if you could ever work with them!

Best!

Khomeini wrote: »
    Hello,

I can give you the contact details of Mansudae... might be an idea to try and see if you could ever work with them!

Best!

Thank you, I sent you a pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I'm just going to ignore your completely useless comment and something you clearly know nothing about. It's nice to know you signed up just to post that. I have a Masters in Graphic Design. :rolleyes:

You're right to ignore that stupid comment. A friend of mine works as a graphic designer and he is on fantastic money. He worked on Godzilla, Spider-Man, the smurfs.
    Vancouver has a big TV and movie industry and is nicknamed Hollywood North.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

TrapBack wrote: »

How old are you? 12? Quite possibly the most moronic comment i've seen on boards... and thats saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Billyduk, please report posts you have a problem with and leave the mods deal with it as we see fit. Responding on thread only adds to the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I know a lot of Canadian designers out of work in Vancouver right now. Don't want to put you off cos at the end of the day a lot of finding work is luck. All the best where ever you choose.

btw I'm an artworker who lives in Vancouver and is well out of it.

Advertisement