Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Match Thread 9/4/14 k/o 19.45 RTE2/Sky

• 06-04-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

image_645x363px.jpg

A "matter of life or death" according to Pep.Nobody gave United a prayer in the first leg,can they confound the critics in the Allianz Arena on Wednesday night?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-1 or 3-1 Bayern head says

Heart says 1-1 win on pens. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Can Manchester United score? They always score. . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I thik Bayer will get the job done within 90mins, Utd will have to perform as good as they did last week and also they have to at least score.

Its going to a good game though, Utd arent out of this by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Head says 3-1 Bayern, heart says 1-0 United ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I thik Bayer will get the job done within 90mins, Utd will have to perform as good as they did last week and also they have to at least score.

Its going to a good game though, Utd arent out of this by any stretch of the imagination.

Ya agree think Bayern will go through.

At least we have a chance, even if its slim.

Best hope is 1-1(get to ET or Penos) or 2-2, but most likely few goals to Bayern 2-0 or 3-1 I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya agree think Bayern will go through.

At least we have a chance, even if its slim.

Best hope is 1-1(get to ET or Penos) or 2-2, but most likely few goals to Bayern 2-0 or 3-1 I say.

If Utd can nick the 1st goal, a defensive performance like last week will send the Germans scrambling, a lot of their play was in front of Utd and they very rarely threatened IMO.

Now, they could rock up, be in the mood and beat Utd by 3/4 goals but I dont think it will be that clear cut, Utd know they have to score even if Bayern go 1 up so I dont think that will change their approach to much.

AS it stands, Utd have a better chance than us of going through I reckon. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

if we actually made it to penos hope we would be able to take a few better ones than last time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Will rooney play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If Utd can nick the 1st goal, a defensive performance like last week will send the Germans scrambling, a lot of their play was in front of Utd and they very rarely threatened IMO.

Now, they could rock up, be in the mood and beat Utd by 3/4 goals but I dont think it will be that clear cut, Utd know they have to score even if Bayern go 1 up so I dont think that will change their approach to much.

I would be amazed if Chelsea go through... PSG score one and Chelsea need 4 to go through in normal time, can't see it happening ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Bayern will be very nervous. Man utd have a great chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I reckon United might get something outta this, but Bayern will still win. 2-1 Bayern.

Would not write ye off just yet.

I still think ye are the dark horses in the CL.

Its tough ask, but ye did it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

:gulp:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's too big an ask for United. I'd say it will be something like 3-1 to Bayern. Hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

There was a hint of arrogance about Bayern Munich for the first leg; not starting a natural striker up top, not starting Mandzukic, not starting Gotze... couple of boo-boos that could have resulted in a loss. Add in an overall languid performance that was very uninspired and a true form of "sterile domination", and Bayern looked nothing very special on the night.

That all said, you can be damn sure that Mandzukic and Gotze will both start this time out. I think Bayern underestimated United last time and it very near cost them dearly. I do not foresee them doing the same again. They will kick arse this time, or at least they'll try to. Another equally dead performance and United could seize some form of initiative.

I can see Bayern winning this... but not as comfortable as they might like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm just glad it's not already over and there's a reason to watch the second leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Typical Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Although everybody has them still as favourites I'm a bit nervous about this one. I have a fear United will put in another dogged performance and it will go to the wire. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have no idea which way this will go, Bayern already won the league and United have had such a poor season you'd think Bayern would be well ahead going into this game but they really weren't too impressive last week and I think United should have won.

Will they considerably up their game and put a few past United, it's very possible, we will need the performance of our season and a massive amount of luck to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

With three of their best midfielders missing, now is a great chance for Moyes and Utd to seize the initiative and be a bit bold on wednesday. Bayern will be vulnerable (I know they have able back-up in Kroos/Gotze/Lahm) but Bastian/Martinez/Thiago are huge losses. I believe Bayern are less mentally strong without the first two especially and United should try and avoid 'parking the bus' at all costs as that will play into their hands, and Gotze is not the kind of player we want to give time on the ball to pick a pass.

What may make this unrealistic is our inability to play a relatively high line due to rio/vida lack of pace at CB and our lack of mobility in MF unfortunately. Robben/Ribery could exploit this if not well marshalled by the fullbacks.

I fancy Welbeck to deliver on wednesday night. Feel this is his time. Ridiculously talented player and would love for him to shut a few of the doubters up, at least for a while.

Very difficult to predict a Utd win but I definitely think we'll score. How many I don't know..or how may we might concede..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I'd spoiler that Kew.

Dont look if you have not seen wrestlemania *cheers chagan;)
    If The Undertaker can get beat in Wrestlemania, United can get through in this tie

You'd have to favour Munich as Utd have to score so are bound to leave gaps in behind as they push up.

If they can keep Munich scoreless until halftime you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

United to be brought back down to reality. 5-0 Munich with Moyes "taking positives" from the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Eight Ball wrote: »
    United to be brought back down to reality. 5-0 Munich with Moyes "taking positives" from the result.

Not even Moyes is that PR inept to talk positives after a 5-0 spanking. Come on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

ricero wrote: »
    Will rooney play ?

We just don't know, but given it's United's possibly last game of significance you'd have to assume he will. May even play if not 100% fit.

Without him, I think they might struggle to score a goal, and hence are out.
    With him, you never know. A 1-1 draw would take it into extra time and make it interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think if United are to go through then Kagawa has to both start and turn up. The whole game changed when he came on for Giggs in the first half. It was also abundantly clear that the Bayern back four couldn't cope with Welbecks pace. If he could finish a single chance...

I don't think this is a game for Hernandez. For me, he needs the ball played in behind, which requires United to move it forward with possesion as opposed to the long ball to Welbeck. However, if Rooney really is injured, I can't see Welbeck holding the line on his own and Hernandez has shown he can actually score a goal.

I'm thinking United will mimic their Old Trafford line-up;
    De Gea
    Jones - Rio - Vidic - Buttner
    Carrick - Fellaini (Possibly Fletcher given how poor Fellaini was at home but I'm not sure if Fletcher has the legs for Bayern)
    Valencia - Kagawa - Welbeck
    Rooney (Hernandez if Rooney is out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I wouldn't play Hernandez in this game if Rooney is out. We're not going to have much of the ball so we need someone up top who can hold up the ball and bring others into play, Hernandez is just not good enough at this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As always midfield will be an interesting selection. Felliani has been utter dirt this last few games and doesn't deserve a spot, but will Fletcher be fit enough to play again after Saturday? Giggs isn't physically capable against a team like Bayern imo, and Moyes simply cannot turn to Cleverley yet again can he? He would get lynched if he did.

Look at those options, I really am sick and tired of us having such a horrible midfield selection. I'd replace the lot of them if it was up to me.

Hopefully its Carrick and Fletcher, but I think Felliani will play despite his poor form.

• Advertisement

I'd go for Fletcher and Fellaini, but I expect it to be Carrick and Fellaini.

Seems like Moyes has finally gotten over his Cleverley fetish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

bayern will kak themselves if utd score ... this aint over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

barone wrote: »
    bayern will kak themselves if utd score ... this aint over

Not if they already 4 up they won't :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not if they already 4 up they won't :D

302105.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Bayern aren't necessarily the strongest team mentally in these situations. They nearly imploded at home against an ordinary Arsenal side last year. Could get very interesting if United score early on.

I expect an early storm from Bayern , United to nick a soft one from a set piece. Bayern will spend the rest of the game pressing for an equaliser but for Fellaini to round Neuer and score the clincher in the 94th minute and prove all his doubters wrong ala Torres against Barca here's hoping :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

United to win on penalties, 55/1 on Paddy Power. Keep the faith!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Haha brought back down. I think we have been well and throughly been brought back to reality already this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Going to go for 3-1 to Bayern.

We will need a proportionate amount of Chelsea luck to knock Bayern out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I'd expect Bayern to produce the goods at home not like they were last week a little lethargic and lacking that killer instinct. People need to get the Arsenal away game out of their heads cos that game was already over by the time the gunners visited the Alliance arena - this is a different animal entirely. Pep will not play in second gear this time or risk going out by underestimating United.

Bayern will have a minimum of 70% possession much like the away leg, i'd expect them to go out and pull United apart who will put up a brave display in the opening 20 minutes, soon as the first goal goes in the game ends as United will need to chase it and Bayern should run out comfortable winners.

This game will be won or lost by Bayerns attitude on the night. It's one thing dominating a game from start to finish but another to show the guile and killer instinct to finish a team off. They are a different class than United in every department. If they blow this one it'll be the shock of the season by a long way.

Home win by 1 or 2 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

United score 2 bayern need 3. It's entirely possible united will get two and not concede 3.

I'm backing united.

scale.php?img=Ni8xLzAvNC8xLTg2NzYzNzEtNjEwNDcyOS5qcGc&ctype=1&v=4&q=81&xs=620&ys=383&sig=51d7cb73f58a5a503b9ef417659d6e6fe51405a3

• Advertisement

They are a different class than United in every department. If they blow this one it'll be the shock of the season by a long way.

Home win by 1 or 2 goals.
    De Gea is easily as good as Neur between the posts, in general and judging by this season's form. Has been Utd's best player. Also, Kagawa/Rooney would find a place in the Bayern squad in my opinion, perhaps not in the starting 11 but the Bayern are missing two or three key players. On his day Rafael is a match for any right back in the world, granted he's struggled at times this season mainly due to injury and poor form by the team in general.
    Personally I'd also argue that Welbeck is as good as anything Bayern have in attack but I'm too tired for an argument.

Bayern's defence showed itself to be vulnerable in the first leg, as is ours. Bayern are obviously superior in midfield and on the wings but with three important players out perhaps utd can compete there this time and hope to god to keep a leash on ribery and robben.

Bayern are still the better side no doubting that and in better form with a better system and confidence. But this is cup football and the difference in the two sides is not as vast as was believed before the first leg.

Your score prediction seems like an accurate one to be fair but you just never know. I wouldn't put anything past this Utd team. Even if a lot of them are past it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

K4t wrote: »
    De Gea is easily as good as Neur between the posts, in general and judging by this season's form. Has been Utd's best player. Also, Kagawa/Rooney would find a place in the Bayern squad in my opinion, perhaps not in the starting 11 but the Bayern are missing two or three key players. On his day Rafael is a match for any right back in the world, granted he's struggled at times this season mainly due to injury and poor form by the team in general.
    Personally I'd also argue that Welbeck is as good as anything Bayern have in attack but I'm too tired for an argument.

Bayern's defence showed itself to be vulnerable in the first leg, as is ours. Bayern are obviously superior in midfield and on the wings but with three important players out perhaps utd can compete there this time and hope to god to keep a leash on ribery and robben.

Bayern are still the better side no doubting that and in better form with a better system and confidence. But this is cup football and the difference in the two sides is not as vast as was believed before the first leg.

Your score prediction seems like an accurate one to be fair but you just never know. I wouldn't put anything past this Utd team. Even if a lot of them are past it!

I'll give you De Gea, he has been in good form this season so credit to him. How on earth anyone can say Kagawa would get into any top european side is questionable simply because the guy has been poor since he arrived at OT - blame the managers (I stress the plural) if you like but he has been a flop by any standards despite how good we have seen him before for Dortmund - Bayern could indeed do with a Rooney up front but play a different style of football that they do not need to rely on it.

Any player on their day can be a match for anyone but consistancy is key and if you were to place a guy like Lahm beside Raphael and compare, the pure consistancy of it makes it laughable - it really does - people can see his talent but isn't it 2+ season now he is called great only to be followed by ... but can be self destructive, blows his top? ... kinda like David Luis ... the guy needs to grow up and produce. Welbeck ... well, he is a poor mans striker and again falls into the category of "could make it" but probably will not. As a striker he is laugable, as a tirelessly working attacker his energy is worth applauding. He is in the same bracket as Johnny Walters or Elmander. Run about all day but don't score enough goals.

Anyway ... i do believe that the difference in the 2 sides is vast, in fact over the course of the season their form couldn't be more or a contrast as the current champions of their respective leagues, will the missing players affect them that is a possibility - i only say the scoreline will be by a goal or two simply cos Bayern under Pep will go out to score once and then kill the game off by passing the ball to death. Similar to how boring they were at OT at times but with more purpose as it sees them qualify by the final whistle.

It is still an intriguing encounter though, one i am looking forward to seeing. No team has ever been unbeatable on their day except possibly Barca under Pep, so it is not going to be totally 1 way traffic, it all depends if United can score with the 1-2 chances they will create, versus can Bayern score with the 8-10 chances ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

De Gea is on a par with Neuer exactly as phrased; between the posts. He's not anywhere near as good in commanding the box. He's just not imposing enough. I think on one on one's Neuer is also very strong.
    I like Rafael but hey we have lahm or Rafinha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Utd are going to do this aren't they?

DazMarz wrote: »
    There was a hint of arrogance about Bayern Munich for the first leg; not starting a natural striker up top, not starting Mandzukic, not starting Gotze...

You could argue the opposite, they were too respectful of United, and happy to take a draw away from home.
    They didn't buy into the hype that they would easily win 3-0 or 4-0, maybe they should have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Big ask, but stranger things have happened. Schweinsteiger is a huge loss to them, they will be a little nervous. They lost at the weekend too.

1-1. United on pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You could argue the opposite, they were too respectful of United, and happy to take a draw away from home.
    They didn't buy into the hype that they would easily win 3-0 or 4-0, maybe they should have

No, they shouldn't have bought into the hype. Many people seem so relieved that we didn't get a thrashing that they are ignoring the fact that the first leg was a perfectly good result for Bayern, one that they will be more than satisfied with. And they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

#Guardiola on his squad selection for #FCBMUFC: "We only have 14 first-team players so I haven't got too many options."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

mike65 wrote: »
    Utd are going to do this aren't they?

No..just like Tony Kroos is not coming either..

No all round...

Welbeck ... well, he is a poor mans striker and again falls into the category of "could make it" but probably will not. As a striker he is laugable, as a tirelessly working attacker his energy is worth applauding. He is in the same bracket as Johnny Walters or Elmander. Run about all day but don't score enough goals.
    Welbeck's been fantastic this season in a struggling Utd squad and usually performs and shows his class in big CL games too (Real away last season/1st leg in Munich) when a lot of other world class players often do not shine. He's a class act with more potential in his baby toe than the names you mentioned. Just needs to start fulfilling it which I think he has begun to do.
    Boskowski wrote: »
    De Gea is on a par with Neuer exactly as phrased; between the posts. He's not anywhere near as good in commanding the box. He's just not imposing enough. I think on one on one's Neuer is also very strong.
    I like Rafael but hey we have lahm or Rafinha.
    Exactly as phrased, De Gea is superior imo but I'll concede Neur exudes more confidence in commanding his area which comes from both experience and confidence in the players ahead of him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement