Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Match Thread 9/4/14 k/o 19.45 RTE2/Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They were easy to play against. If Chelsea get them in the draw, they'll beat them. Mourinho's Chelsea have the discipline and expertise to do what Moyes attempted to do over the two legs successfully and it will be a dreadful, dreadful tie.

Guardiolaball has always been susceptible to Utd's approach over this tie. Chelsea simply executed better two year's ago. Moyes and Utd got this spot on I must admit. They just couldn't finish the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    11/4 Evra anytime booking,printing money IMO...

As I thought,only highlight really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

rob316 wrote: »
    The world class rooney was great again.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Better effort from United than most expected. If they had a World class player up front to put away those two big chances it could have been a different story, although Bayern always looked like they had a few gears to step up if they needed to.

Must. Try. Harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Such a disappointing reult for us after taking the lead in the tie.
    We lost our concentration after scoring and we finally woke bayern up.
    We performed admirably over the two legs but the class of bayern came through in the end.
    Hopefully this is the end of evra at left back. Once again he was hopeless in defence and was involved in all 3 goals we conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dunphy: DeGea is ok when he's in goal.

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

That_Guy wrote: »
    Then why play him? If he's there, he's there. Thought 90 minutes for him was a bit much though in fairness to him.

I'm just second guessing Moyes but I suppose there was more of a chance of a brief moment of brilliance from Rooney than Hernandez especially given the way United were set out. It nearly worked with that chance in the second half but I don't believe the injury had anything to do with him missing. It was a poor attempt at a golden chance. I have to agree that 90 mins was too much especially given the fact he needed an injection to play at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Must. Try. Harder

You think he is world class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Where does dunphy come up with the financial figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Same place as an Anglo Exec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Well thats the last time we will see utd in the cl for the foreseable:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

His imagination just like everything else he says baby.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Must. Try. Harder

You mad bro?:D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Only just seeing the goals now. What in the **** Evra o_0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think what this has shown is bayern are not as good as some make them out to be. If you look at it, the result against Barca was incredible but aside from that they stuttered through to the final. Beaten by BATE borisov in the group stages and clung on against Arsenal at home in the same manner as they did tonight for the first hour. Dominant but not ruthless.

Incredible side? Yes.
    One of the best club sides in the world? Yes
    But invincible/unbeatable? No way.

All set up for a Madrid derby in the final now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He writes for a tabloid. He pulls them out of his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

nullzero wrote: »
    Truth is united fell asleep after scoring. Had that not happened it would have been a different game. Evra has to be done at United now.
    Reminded me of the 2nd leg against Real last season and Nani's red card. As soon as Utd conceded so quickly after the elation and relief of and excitement of Evra's goal it completely sucked the energy out of the team. Similar to Nani's red card against Real, this Utd team has always been mentally suspect and the whole team looked deflated and never recovered.

Utd had 2 great chances which Rooney squandered, Bayern took their 2 clear cut chances (Mandukic&Muller) and got a small bit of deserved luck with Robben's deflection.

Gotta take your chances at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Shame about the result, they gave it a right go against probably the best team in Europe for the next few seasons! That goal by Evra though! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

We are out but Evra has scored United's best ever European goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We are out but Evra has scored United's best ever European goals.

Whilst giving one of uniteds worst ever defensive performances.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Chris is talking to a disappointed peter smalling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

nullzero wrote: »
    Whilst giving one of uniteds worst ever defensive performances.

That's was the two faces of Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Very happy with that. It could have taken a wrong turn somewhere for sure, but in the end the better team got through.
    I'd be the first to agree with people who are unimpressed with Bayern. They look more static, more predictable than last year and they're not showing top form either. Not sure that will be enough to win this competition.

Madrid in the draw on Friday would be nice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Little boring, predictable perhaps. Evra wonder goal placed a cat amongst the pidgeons but class told in the end. Cannot give the ball away for 70% of the game and expect to win.

when you park the bus and win it is a great thing, when you park it and lose playing like that ... its plain awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Man gets hit by football
    http://twitpic.com/e0qyl7/full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

4-2 over the two legs is no disgrace. Utd played well and tactically set up to stop Bayern that almost worked. It was always going to be difficult against this Bayern side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

NukaCola wrote: »
    4-2 over the two legs is no disgrace. Utd played well and tactically set up to stop Bayern that almost worked. It was always going to be difficult against this Bayern side.

At 1-1 tonight you could see which way it was going to go. The whole game was spent with Bayern making Utd work,
    wearing them down, it's what Guardiola's teams do.

There's no shame in losing to Bayern, they are European champions and the best club team in the world at the minute.
    If Rooney was properly fit Utd had an outside chance. Bayern were just better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Great result for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Boskowski wrote: »
    Very happy with that. It could have taken a wrong turn somewhere for sure, but in the end the better team got through.
    I'd be the first to agree with people who are unimpressed with Bayern. They look more static, more predictable than last year and they're not showing top form either. Not sure that will be enough to win this competition.

Madrid in the draw on Friday would be nice now.

Pep sides are always at their weakest at this stage of the season for some reason.

Maybe this time it's because of winning the league already and not being able to lift their game for the tougher tests but Barca comparatively struggled for a couple of years in the 2nd round/quarters.

Also Madrid would be the biggest test by far to Bayern, the only superpower team they've yet to play in the KOs the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well done Bayern. Man utd had nothing but defence, whilst Bayern had defence and attack. There was no plan b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Liam O wrote: »

Also Madrid would be the biggest test by far to Bayern, the only superpower team they've yet to play in the KOs the last 2 seasons.

I'd fancy Madrid to do a job on Bayern,their pace on the break would pose serious problems for that Bayern defence which looks extremely suspect.

If you had the BBC up front for Utd in the last two legs ,they would easily have scored 4 or 5 goals with the chances Bayern gave up .

Big question is would Real try to engage Bayern in an open game or play on the break .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

If you had the BBC up front for Utd in the last two legs ,they would easily have scored 4 or 5 goals with the chances Bayern gave up .

Who. What. When. Where. WHY?

Ahhhhh, we all know what you type into your search bar when youre on youj!zz. Have a good evening you crazy cat mr anarchy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

it will be bloody interesting if its Real v Bayern! bear in mind Bayern have a good few players to come back in... I would give chelsea a reasonable chance against them, reckon they would be far better at executing the pretty much one and only strategy 95+% plus of teams in europe have to against them. If they score early or the other team has to come out of their shell though, they are ruthless. Reckon Pep will have learned a few lessons from the tie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Fudge You wrote: »
    Who. What. When. Where. WHY?

I meant this BBC ;Bale,Benzema,Cristiano .
    I dont think the BBC you were thinking of would be of much use on a football pitch :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I meant this BBC ;Bale,Benzema,Cristiano .
    I dont think the BBC you were thinking of would be of much use on a football pitch :)

Genuinely thought you meant the MOTD crew. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Liam O wrote: »

They beat Madrid on penalties on route to the final when Chelsea won, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Evertonisation of Man Utd continues, watching the highlights of those two games just reminded me of Everton under Moyes when playing better teams, defend hard giving up the ball hoping to hit on the break or from a set piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

They beat Madrid on penalties on route to the final when Chelsea won, no?

Yup, it looked like being the dream "Clasico" final but they beat real and we over turned Barca.

Both Bayern and Real have improved since then and if anyone knows how to beat Real its Pep, woudl be an interesting match up if it was drawn over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can not expect to beat the big teams or win this tournament without a some way decent midfield which united do not have, the game completely bypassed Fletcher and Carrick last night. You can be a bit dodgy at the back or a bit blunt up front but you really need a decent CM.

Even the Liverpool team that won it in 05 had Gerrard,Alonso and Hamann who would walk into the current united midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Evertonisation of Man Utd continues, watching the highlights of those two games just reminded me of Everton under Moyes when playing better teams, defend hard giving up the ball hoping to hit on the break or from a set piece

Indeed, just playing Bayern so should have went all out attack over the both legs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm with Dunphy, I thought Bayern were shyte over the 2 legs. Maybe it's just a temporary dip in form, but they looked so much better last year.
    Reminds me of Dunphy saying Ronaldo is shíte because he missed a shot when he could have passed. And ignores the 40 goals he got that season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Chelsea v Bayern, Fergie's United v Barca. Arsenal v Bayern. Chelsea v Barca. Jose's Inter v Barca.

Just a few other comparisons you could have chosen from.
    But no, lowest common denominator stuff obviously works better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

When did Moyes manage Chelsea, Barca, Arsenal or Inter?

• The Evertonisation of Man Utd continues, watching the highlights of those two games just reminded me of Everton under Moyes when playing better teams, defend hard giving up the ball hoping to hit on the break or from a set piece

Here,

have a look at last seasons champions league performances.

Do the math and the comparisons to this seasons performance and honestly tell me which one was better.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2013/clubs/club=52682/matches/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Was there another way tbh, to try to beat Bayern? As soon as man utd relaxed that defence, Bayern were in. Open play would have resulted in 10 nil to Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

When did Moyes manage Chelsea, Barca, Arsenal or Inter?

I never said he did :confused:

You are saying he's turning United into Everton, there's an argument there alright. You used last nights game as an example, that's beyond stupid.

Was there another way tbh, to try to beat Bayern? As soon as man utd relaxed that defence, Bayern were in. Open play would have resulted in 10 nil to Bayern.
    yeah, as soon as they scored I said to my brother here we go, I expected a quick response, not that quick however. I mean you cant not try to score until the 75-80th minute, but the match was just constipated for want of a better word. Will be interesting to see if Real play bayern, would it be in their DNA to not play attacking football? If they do, will it be evenly matched or will bayern stuff them? I dont think they are playing the blitzkrieg, ruthless football under Pep that they did under the previous manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    +1
    remember Barcelona last year, 2nd leg at home and all??
    Barcelona 0 - 3 Bayern Munich (agg 0 - 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah, as soon as they scored I said to my brother here we go, I expected a quick response, not that quick however. I mean you cant not try to score until the 75-80th minute, but the match was just constipated for want of a better word. Will be interesting to see if Real play bayern, would it be in their DNA to not play attacking football? If they do, will it be evenly matched or will bayern stuff them? I dont think they are playing the blitzkrieg, ruthless football under Pep that they did under the previous manager.

It'd be a goalfest. No point Real playing a defencive type of game, they do not even know the word and do not have the personnel frankly. It'd be a decent game cos both teams are vulnerable to good attacking play and good in possession. A proper game of ball, not what we witnessed last night which was a close 1 sided massacre ;)

• Idbatterim wrote: »

If given the space which Real Madrid will provide with there emphasis on attack then it will be a much more open affair between both teams.

Real Madrid can afford to attack more openly there squad is clearly stronger than ours in midfield.

will CR7 be back for Madrid? With him back I feel it would be a lot more of an even contest...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement