Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Match Thread 9/4/14 k/o 19.45 RTE2/Sky

Comments

• BNMC wrote: »
    Big ask, but stranger things have happened. Schweinsteiger is a huge loss to them, they will be a little nervous. They lost at the weekend too.

1-1. United on pens.

Good god not penalties, Our last two shootouts were awful if I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

De Gea is superior to Neuer? Ah jesus give it a rest...

• De Gea is superior to Neuer? Ah jesus give it a rest...

I agree he is better than Neuer, proven to be one of the best shot stoppers and the fact he is still so young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Good god not penalties, Our last two shootouts were awful if I can remember.
    True. Both losses.

2-1 v Sunderland and 4-1 v Chelsea in the Community Shield 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

BNMC wrote: »
    True. Both losses.

2-1 v Sunderland and 4-1 v Chelsea in the Community Shield 2009.

BUT

The one before them? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

De Gea is an incredible shot stop goalkeeper. He is not even close to Neuer when it comes to overall goalkeeping. Neuer is on another level. Just look at the first leg. He commands his entire box.

In time, yes, De Gea could be better than him but it's not today.

• MagicIRL wrote: »
    De Gea is an incredible shot stop goalkeeper. He is not even close to Neuer when it comes to overall goalkeeping. Neuer is on another level. Just look at the first leg. He commands his entire box.

Yes I agree, And I regress I should have said in time he could easily be better.
    He's essentially at the start of his career in keeper terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Yes I agree, And I regress I should have said in time he could easily be better.
    He's essentially at the start of his career in keeper terms.

Easily ... really? Easily be better than probably the best keeper in Europe?

Sweet jebus.

K4t wrote: »
    Welbeck's been fantastic this season in a struggling Utd squad and usually performs and shows his class in big CL games too (Real away last season/1st leg in Munich) when a lot of other world class players often do not shine. He's a class act with more potential in his baby toe than the names you mentioned. Just needs to start fulfilling it which I think he has begun to do.

Fantastic is word that is normally used for being really bloody good at something. If that is how you class fantastic your standards are obviously much lower than most. Still talking about the Madrid game a year ago just shows how bad he's in in real terms week in week out. Class act and potential ... potentially Welbeck could be a good striker if he could score another 20 goals per season. Rodriguez and Giroud have 13/15 goals each this season ... Welbeck has 9. Does that make Rodriguez 2 times better than a class act? World class perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

One win against Newcastle and United fans are claiming DDG is better than Neuer :) Welbeck will be better than Gotze next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fantastic is word that is normally used for being really bloody good at something. If that is how you class fantastic your standards are obviously much lower than most. Still talking about the Madrid game a year ago just shows how bad he's in in real terms week in week out. Class act and potential ... potentially Welbeck could be a good striker if he could score another 20 goals per season. Rodriguez and Giroud have 13/15 goals each this season ... Welbeck has 9. Does that make Rodriguez 2 times better than a class act? World class perhaps?

Your argument is totally retarded.

How many games has Welbeck played up front?

How many goals has Sterling scored this season in the league? Only 6? God he's fair shít if he's only scored 6 goals.

• Easily ... really? Easily be better than probably the best keeper in Europe?

Sweet jebus.
    Yea and whose to say he won't be or will be?
    From the evidance of his quick progression, his brilliant shop stopping ability, and his vast improvements in commanding the 6 yard box yes I believe so eventually.

Sweat jebus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

One win against Newcastle and United fans are claiming DDG is better than Neuer :) Welbeck will be better than Gotze next.

He is.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

De Gea better than Neuer is laughable. Welbeck is a donkey, runs around a lot, poor first touch, like bambi on ice with the ball at feet.

Bayern played exactly to plan last week. It's a Champions League quarter final, not a coca cola cup first round. They got the away goal and were comfortable. I expect tomorrow to be 2 or 3 nil to Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What are you on about???
    One person said he could go on to be better than him.
    How you extrapolated that United fans think he's better than Neuer after 1 game against Newcastle where he could have pulled up a stool and watched on I don't know :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

De Gea didn't even play against Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Johner wrote: »
    De Gea didn't even play against Newcastle.

Lol, that's right :pac:

Your argument is totally retarded.

How many games has Welbeck played up front?

How many goals has Sterling scored this season in the league? Only 6? God he's fair shít if he's only scored 6 goals.

Your reverse argument is flawed ... how many times has he played up front? Is he a striker or a defencive wideman? Take the blinkers off the guy is a really good defencive wideman that will run all day like a thoroughbred racehorse and looks really good while doing it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that as a striker he is poor at best.

Its like when Rooney runs back as far as his own box and makes a great interception and everyone lauds over him as brilliant - so bloody what - he is employed to score goals not make tackles and although its nice and great for the team as a whole his 300k paycheck is not cos he made an aggressive tackle after tracking back for 80 yards - its hitting the old onion sack - which he does. Welbeck is like a headless chicken that falls like bambi on ice instead of staying on his feet and actually giving a final product. He needs to score goals FACT.

but hey ... he will look world class against 80% possession tomorrow. Denial.

Yea and whose to say he won't be or will be?
    From the evidance of his quick progression, his brilliant shop stopping ability, and his vast improvements in commanding the 6 yard box yes I believe so eventually.

Sweat jebus.

Not saying he will or will not Mick, but to suggest that he will EASILY be is a little optimistic. That said the guy has come on really well since the tough first season and must be given huge credit for overcoming those first few games (Dunno if you ever seen the 1min video on all the crazy challenges that teams were putting in on him after they felt he was weak in the begining but it was crazy) so i am impressed he came back from that.

He has bulked up really well since the summer and his having a decent season. Shot stopping is something thats a given for PL keepers, most of them are excellent shot stoppers but to be the best keeper there is alot more to their games - just ask Joe Hart who thought he had it all until this season.

I just wouldn't say that becoming a world beater comes easy though. But he has given himself every chance. Should probably set his sights on being Spains no1 first.

• Not saying he will or will not Mick, but to suggest that he will EASILY be is a little optimistic. That said the guy has come on really well since the tough first season and must be given huge credit for overcoming those first few games (Dunno if you ever seen the 1min video on all the crazy challenges that teams were putting in on him after they felt he was weak in the begining but it was crazy) so i am impressed he came back from that.

He has bulked up really well since the summer and his having a decent season. Shot stopping is something thats a given for PL keepers, most of them are excellent shot stoppers but to be the best keeper there is alot more to their games - just ask Joe Hart who thought he had it all until this season.

I just wouldn't say that becoming a world beater comes easy though. But he has given himself every chance. Should probably set his sights on being Spains no1 first.
    I am optimistic when it comes to our number 1 so I would like to believe he will be. Fergie signed him @ only 21??. He has progressed so fast after a very tough first season. It's going to be hard for him to replace Cassillas because of his captaincy but his chance will come.

Joe Hart is still a fine Keeper and has since bounced back all for the better, his blip & drop to the bench made him a better keeper & look at his performances since he retained his first choice position.

• Advertisement

I am optimistic when it comes to our number 1 so I would like to believe he will be. Fergie signed him @ only 21??. He has progressed so fast after a very tough first season. It's going to be hard for him to replace Cassillas because of his captaincy but his chance will come.

Joe Hart is still a fine Keeper and has since bounced back all for the better, his blip & drop to the bench made him a better keeper & look at his performances since he retained his first choice position.

Crazy situation with Casillas at Madrid, he plays CL games and other lad plays League games! With Valdez out of the way for a time that might give De Gea a chance of getting in there. It brings out great confidence in keepers when they are also the International first choice as well. Brings them up a notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Crazy situation with Casillas at Madrid, he plays CL games and other lad plays League games! With Valdez out of the way for a time that might give De Gea a chance of getting in there. It brings out great confidence in keepers when they are also the International first choice as well. Brings them up a notch.

It's the usual snobbery from the Spanish national set up. They almost always favour Spanish based players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

MagicIRL wrote: »

Is it just that you dont see Neuer when he has his headless chicken moments?

Didnt he make a couple of stupid errors in the first leg actually? Certainly one off the top of my head anyway, he isnt a patch on the greats of goalkeeping, not yet anyway but he has all the attributes to get there

De Gea is also in that catagory, he has all the attributes, he is improving his control of his box, he already has phenomenal reflexes and instincts. Both could reach Buffon levels of greatness, but they are not there yet and neither are actually that much better then the other tbh

They are at quite a similar level right now.

Two chicken mcnugget sandwiches and suddenly the pool table in the back is square! Goalposts will be strawberries next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kryogen wrote: »
    Two chicken mcnugget sandwiches and suddenly the pool table in the back is square! Goalposts will be strawberries next.

I laughed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

****ing match threads.....

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bayern 1-7 Shinji United (Götze red card)
    Bayern 4-1 Shinji-less United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

3-0 Bayern. 2 Mandzukic 1 Kroos. Real Madrid in the semis, happy days. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hoping Utd can get through now tomorrow night.

Good luck lads.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hoping Utd can get through now tomorrow night.

Good luck lads.

You feeling ok?;)

• Advertisement

You feeling ok?;)

Could be the lack of oxygen up here in cloud 9 :pac:

Nah, I dont like Pep so hoping Utd get the job done.

I hope we draw Barca in the Semi's anyway, if they get there.

Could be the lack of oxygen up here in cloud 9 :pac:

Nah, I dont like Pep so hoping Utd get the job done.

I hope we draw Barca in the Semi's anyway, if they get there.

I like Pep myself, but see what you mean.

If we can get to half time 0-0 I be happy.

Could be a 4 or 5-0 drubbing, but think we will give Bayern a test.

I like Pep myself, but see what you mean.

If we can get to half time 0-0 I be happy.

Could be a 4 or 5-0 drubbing, but think we will give Bayern a test.

Ya never know in the UCL, tonight was an example of it.

If ye can manage a similar display to the 1st leg ye've a good chance.

Ya never know in the UCL, tonight was an example of it.

If ye can manage a similar display to the 1st leg ye've a good chance.

Got to take our chances this time though. We wont get 5 or 6 chances in this game, so the couple we do get will have to be taken.

If so then you never know.

Best hope for us is 1-1 and take it in ET, or somehow get 2-2.

BTW good win for ye tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

ManU will take courage from Augsburg's result (even though Bayern played a weakened side).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Utd and Chelsea supporters in a tree....bleugh! :p

Play tomorrow, Shinji will.

What worries me is that Welbeck is likely to be playing up front and if he misses an easy chance, I think we'll get 1 or 2 at least, I'll be fecking fuming. Please Danny, just put the ball in the damn goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

mike65 wrote: »
    Utd and Chelsea supporters in a tree....bleugh! :p

I should imagine its the mutual hope that Bayern are eliminated tomorrow night, all love will end after tomorrow night:D Chelsea would probably prefer united over Bayern in the semis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Play tomorrow, Shinji will.

What worries me is that Welbeck is likely to be playing up front and if he misses an easy chance, I think we'll get 1 or 2 at least, I'll be fecking fuming. Please Danny, just put the ball in the damn goal.

They should play Hernandez.

In a game like this, you need a clinical finisher. I'd trust Hernandez over Wellbeck.

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I should imagine its the mutual hope that Bayern are eliminated tomorrow night, all love will end after tomorrow night:D Chelsea would probably prefer united over Bayern in the semis.

I want Barca :cool:

Utd will do I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pep scores a bit of an OG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26914633
    Guardiola said: "If we are not in the final this club cannot deal with that."

He added: "If we are not in the Champions League semi-finals it would be a huge mistake for the new manager.

"They won the treble last season and I have got to be in that situation. If I don't, then it's not so good."

No pressure, like :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

ninja900 wrote: »
    Pep scores a bit of an OG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26914633

No pressure, like :pac:

Saw that...he sounds scared. Not sure it's the fight motivation?

They should play Hernandez.

In a game like this, you need a clinical finisher. I'd trust Hernandez over Wellbeck.

Hernandez doesn't have the same pace to cause problems to the defence on the counter though and his link up play isn't very good.

If roles were reversed and United were the dominant team with 60%+ possession then Hernandez would be ideal but we're going to be on the back foot tomorrow hoping to nick a goal on the counter or set pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Saw that...he sounds scared. Not sure it's the fight motivation?

Scared?? Hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Just woke up. Dreamt about the match. We went 2 up after 2 terrible mistakes from Neuer. Went in at half time that way. Came out with bayern flying and they got it back to 2-2 after 65 mins. Then the proceeded to throw everything at us. Battering us constantly with us holding on by the skin of our teeth and de gea making wonder saves.

The 89th minute we break on the counter. This time welbeck does chip Neuer.

So it has been written. We are gonna do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I said last week and I'll say it again, chicarito has to start in this game to give United their best chance.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I said last week and I'll say it again, chicarito has to start in this game to give United their best chance.

Doesnt hold the ball up well enough really, the brief breaks the defense get need to be maximised by having players up front who can retain the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

eagle eye wrote: »

As was Said he doesn't keep the ball and more importantly doesn't go looking for it, he's great in the box and a great finisher but on a night like tonight we can't afford to carry anyone (Fellaini are you listening!!!!!!)

I had a dream also, we went 2-0 thanks to a brace from Rooney and we held out,so put the car on donedeal this morning and hit my local bookies - can't wait! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I figured United could easily a result last week despite all the negativity from some quarters. Guardiola is notoriously conservative away from home in Europe and Bayern/Barca have consistently looked a different team when travelling.

Tonight should be pretty different though I reckon. Bayern will press harder, hold the ball for longer and generally be a more attacking side. I wouldn't rule United out by any means, they showed last week that they can be effective on the break. Still, this looks like it'll be a solid Bayern victory to me, they're a class above this current United side in both playing and management personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

tossy wrote: »
    I had a dream also, we went 2-0 thanks to a brace from Rooney and we held out,so put the car on donedeal this morning and hit my local bookies - can't wait! :)

Rooney wincast 20/1, get on!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement