Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Match Thread 9/4/14 k/o 19.45 RTE2/Sky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I just hope all the players go out there and enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

United 8/1 to win.. I'm putting €5 on that and €5 on 1-0 ( 30/1) United and €5 on 2-1 united (25/1) - I think we will do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I just hope all the players go out there and enjoy themselves.
    That's what it's all about at the end of the day.

The result is secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Heart says we can pull something out of the bag with the right team selection (Shinji, Fletch and Carrick behind Welbeck, Rooney and Valencia - and Evra nowhere near the team). No team is infallible and despite their unbelieveable quality in midfield, Bayern have no one in midfield that will sit in hold (mind you they might not need it).

If we are to do it then we need to be defensively inch perfect again and take the one or two chances that fall our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I figured United could easily a result last week despite all the negativity from some quarters. Guardiola is notoriously conservative away from home in Europe and Bayern/Barca have consistently looked a different team when travelling.

Tonight should be pretty different though I reckon. Bayern will press harder, hold the ball for longer and generally be a more attacking side. I wouldn't rule United out by any means, they showed last week that they can be effective on the break. Still, this looks like it'll be a solid Bayern victory to me, they're a class above this current United side in both playing and management personnel.

Yeah I think it was yourself I disagreed with and tbf you were spot on. Can't speak for other Utd fans but I'm definitely guilty of not watching a whole lot of Bayern this year. Hadn't realised how conservative they have gotten away from home under Pep .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

25u2zut.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Yeah I think it was yourself I disagreed with and tbf you were spot on. Can't speak for other Utd fans but I'm definitely guilty of not watching a whole lot of Bayern this year. Hadn't realised how conservative they have gotten away from home under Pep .
    Not commenting on your post, I just wanted to say your avatar is fantastic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

If United are still in the game after 60 minutes, I reckon Robben will start diving at the merest hint of a tackle, and Ribery will try to get someone sent off.
    Those two are right up there with Ramos and Pepe on my sh*tlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

NeVeR wrote: »
    25u2zut.jpg

But United are the ones who have to score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If United are at their very best and Bayern aren't we have a chance, but if Bayern hit that level tonight there's not much United can do with the difference in quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I expect Bayern to win comfortably by two or three goals. However, the Man U players are still the same who won the league last year and have seemed to be more up for this competition than the Premier League this season. If they can even keep Bayern level on the hour mark, then Bayern could get nervy.

Hopefully though, Bayern can score one or two early on to deflate Man U and win easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

fooooooooooootball

Our Year wrote: »
    fooooooooooootball

Brilliant post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Brilliant post...

I'm looking forward to the match obviously. Feeling tetchy eh. God love ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Brilliant post...

been better than a lot on here

I'm looking forward to the match obviously. Feeling tetchy eh. God love ya.

Feeling squeaky more like! :pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4rwuTkrNKc

One for the optimists. Jesus, I love Manchester United!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

fooooooooooootball
    You can add champions league before it next season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

thelad95 wrote: »
    But United are the ones who have to score?

Bayern also dawning the Barca colours for the occasion :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hoping for a goalfest!! 4-0 Bayern :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

United have never failed to score in away ties against German sides in the CL.

Heart

1-1 after 90 minutes, united steal it in the cruelest of fashion during the dying moments of extra time due to a dubious decision. :pac:

Head.

2-1 Bayern

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I will go for a 2-2 draw with United going through on the away goals rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I will go for a 2-2 draw with United going through on the away goals rule.

I wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

065cb8064b39d77691f4b59f9be1060c.png

Come On United

:D
    Am I doing this optimism thingy right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

user2011 wrote: »
    065cb8064b39d77691f4b59f9be1060c.png

Come On United

:D
    Am I doing this optimism thingy right?

Needs more airplane messages.

Think United can cause an upset tonight and it's one of those rare games that's built towards Moyes' kind of defensive football. If United can keep Bayern scoreless in the first half, it's all up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

#mufc XI: De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Vidic, Evra; Fletcher, Carrick; Valencia, Rooney, Kagawa; Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Neuer - Dante, Ribéry, Mandzukić, Robben, Boateng, Götze, Lahm (C), Müller, Alaba, Kroos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Evra :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

#mufc XI: De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Vidic, Evra; Fletcher, Carrick; Valencia, Rooney, Kagawa; Welbeck

If that's the actual team, Moyes has got it spot on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Nice one, Kagawa starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

posted the below in a wrong thread a minute ago, pasting it here.

I doubt they will make the mistake of not playing mandzucik again and isnt Dante coming back in for them? Im assuming united will play the same way again, hope to get a goal through set piece, counter attack, bit of luck or bayern mistake and if they dont, throw caution to the wind about the 70th minute. If bayern score first or early though, I can see a potential demolition job and I mean on the scoreboard, it will be a demolition job where it doesnt count, i.e. possession and chances, let see if they can muster more than "sterile domination" tonight...

Evra

Nooooooooooo :(

4-1-4-1 from Bayern? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Might put money on Robben to score, will make me less upset when Evra messes up. Though at least Evra's a set piece threat.

Eugh. Evra has one last chance to play like a Manchester United player tonight otherwise the years he was good will truly be forgotten.

Looking at the Bayern team I think Fletcher is a mistake. Fellaini's ability to hurt Bayern further up the field will be missed I think with not a lot protecting the back 4 of Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

not sure has it been posted but betfair are offering 3/1 for bayern to qualify to new customers. if Utd win tonight i wont mind losing €10, if they lose €30 will soften the blow

https://promotions.betfair.com/uk-sports-football-enhancedprice-social?rfr=799038&mpch=ads

• Timmyctc wrote: »
    Eugh. Evra has one last chance to play like a Manchester United player tonight otherwise the years he was good will truly be forgotten.
    This is the wrong choice, I'm so disappointed.

Back Robben to score first either that or he will provide first assist early on.
    If Evra gets caught in possession we are going to be ripped open on the right flank. FS I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Fletcher +1
    Kagawa +1
    Evra -2
    Ans = 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Liam O wrote: »
    Looking at the Bayern team I think Fletcher is a mistake. Fellaini's ability to hurt Bayern further up the field will be missed I think with not a lot protecting the back 4 of Bayern.

I'm guessing you have not watched a lot of Fellaini this year have you ?

I'm guessing you have not watched a lot of Fellaini this year have you ?

I have, and just like Cleverley he is floundering in a system that leaves Carrick's partner up against 2 or 3 opponents single handedly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Something like this then

Neuer
    Lahm Boateng Dante Alaba
    Kroos
    Robben Mueller Goetze Ribery
    Mandzukic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fletcher +1
    Kagawa +1
    Evra -2
    Ans = 0

Shinji_Kagawa_2459696b.jpg

"Bitch please. I am +2".

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is the wrong choice, I'm so disappointed.

Back Robben to score first either that or he will provide first assist early on.
    If Evra gets caught in possession we are going to be ripped open on the right flank. FS I hope I'm wrong.

I'm almost certain Buttner must be still carrying that strain. Otherwise Moyes is mad to not play him. Unless he's planning some crazy substitution masterclass :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I was expecting Lahm in cm with Kroos with one of Gotze & Muller at #10.

Is it brave or silly by Pep to be playing both of them? Guess we will have to find that out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I was expecting Lahm in cm with Kroos with one of Gotze & Muller at #10.

Is it brave or silly by Pep to be playing both of them? Guess we will have to find that out.

I guess he's expecting a defensive setup from United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

11/4 Evra anytime booking,printing money IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I guess he's expecting a defensive setup from United.

Probably yeah. If United have a decent start I'd say he'll take one of Gotze/Muller off for Rafinha , then stick Lahm in CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

dahat wrote: »
    11/4 Evra anytime booking,printing money IMO...

There won't be anyone to tackle when he's slowly tracking back from outside Bayern's box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Talking to Man Utd fans today they seem optimistic, with most of that optimism coming from the result and performance in the first leg and more coming from the results Arsenal and City have gotten against Bayern in the recent past. I think those fans are overlooking that Pep sets his sides up differently away from home in Europe and will have been content with a 1-1 draw and that the Bayern tonight will approach the tie differently than they did at OT, they may also be overlooking the importance of tonight, unlike against Arsenal or City, I highly doubt you will see any complacency from Bayern tonight. I'd expect a relatively comfortable passage through to the next round for the German club.

• Advertisement

I think we're all in agreement it's foolish optimism to be fair

We have nothing else at this point

That's a fairly attacking team from Pep, strange considering United are more likely to score on a counter attack, this season has shown if you sit back against United we look absolutely clueless about how to break the team down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement