Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Match Thread 9/4/14 k/o 19.45 RTE2/Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The last time Man Utd beat Bayern Munich in the champions league, Darren Gibson scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Talking to Man Utd fans today they seem optimistic, with most of that optimism coming from the result and performance in the first leg and more coming from the results Arsenal and City have gotten against Bayern in the recent past. I think those fans are overlooking that Pep sets his sides up differently away from home in Europe and will have been content with a 1-1 draw and that the Bayern tonight will approach the tie differently than they did at OT, they may also be overlooking the importance of tonight, unlike against Arsenal or City, I highly doubt you will see any complacency from Bayern tonight. I'd expect a relatively comfortable passage through to the next round for the German club.

Ah, but the blossoming flower of David Moyes will shine his guiding light through the tunnel of darkness that is Munich and cast his tactical light upon the mighty warriors of Manchester United. The football that they play will be effective and concise, frustrating the meticulous warthog of Bayern Munchen, led by their pontificating antihero Pep Guardiola, fresh from a recent stint at the leaders of football and Gods among men, Barcelona. etc etc etc. If and when United win I'm going to wax more lyircal than you have ever achieved in your life AiG and by jove I'm gonna make you love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Gary Neville is a what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Ah, but the blossoming flower of David Moyes will shine his guiding light through the tunnel of darkness that is Munich and cast his tactical light upon the mighty warriors of Manchester United. The football that they play will be effective and concise, frustrating the meticulous warthog of Bayern Munchen, led by their pontificating antihero Pep Guardiola, fresh from a recent stint at the leaders of football and Gods among men, Barcelona. etc etc etc. If and when United win I'm going to wax more lyircal than you have ever achieved in your life AiG and by jove I'm gonna make you love it.

:) I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

thelad95 wrote: »
    But United are the ones who have to score?

But... they always score!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I can't wait to hear Dunphy talking about Bayern's team, a few weeks back he was saying Kroos wasn't a CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Robben first goalscorer at 11/2 for anyone who wants to make easy money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I can't wait to hear Dunphy talking about Bayern's team a few weeks back he was saying Kroos wasn't a CM.

I find it impossible to even consider watching that panel.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I can't wait to hear Dunphy talking about Bayern's team, a few weeks back he was saying Kroos wasn't a CM.

Aye and United were finished as a team in 2007, then again in 09 and then when City won the league. He'll probably tell us he predicted United's poor season several years in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Come on United, you can do it!

• Advertisement

I hate him but you have to feel sorry for anyone whose face is slowly melting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Big test for Moyes' United. He set them up very well in the first leg. Bayern missing a few key players so won't get a better opportunity to go for it. 1-0 United. Vidic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Looking forward to this game.
    I'd say this will finish 2-1 Bayern. Can see Robben and Kagawa scoring with Kroos or Gotze nicking the winner on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Nice to see Giles is in. Always enjoy his input.

Looking forward to this game.
    I'd say this will finish 2-1 Bayern. Can see Robben and Kagawa scoring with Kroos or Gotze nicking the winner on the night.

How do people come up with these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Giles - "I think it's possible, Bill"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Unfortunately I will be watching the Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona game, which I expect to be far more of a contest and produce a higher quality of football so I may miss your waxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nervous but it should be a good game

United need to have players pressing Kroos hard, it looks like Pep has him playing as that middle piece in the decagon of triangles. Make him make mistakes and we could get some chances

Neeson wrote: »
    Giles - "I think it's possible, Bill"

The Prophet has spoken! And It shall be done.
    Unfortunately I will be watching the Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona game, which I expect to be far more of a contest and produce a higher quality of football so I may miss your waxing.

Ill post you it. I imagine you only except letters printed upon goat skin with the finest Peruvian ink, delivered by carrier pigeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The Prophet has spoken! And It shall be done.

Ill post you it. I imagine you only except letters printed upon goat skin with the finest Peruvian ink, delivered by carrier pigeon.

It would be preferable if you could arrange for your carrier pigeon to arrive at the break of dawn, I am swamped day and night. However I fear that, given the level which Bayern Munich are at, such an adoringly constructed soliloquy may not be given the chance to be constructed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

United can't afford to sit back like last week with the attacking team Bayern have out, Take it to them, 2-1 united, Set pieces are crucial.

sea_monkey wrote: »
    How do people come up with these?

Just based on head to head matchups.
    Evra's been Utd's main liability in defence all season - Robben will definitely get shooting chances when he goes walkabout.

Kagawa almost always performs against Bayern. I can see him been vital on the counter-attack for United and will benefit playing in the channel between Lahm and Boateng.

Bayern's other main avenue of goals in games where they maintain possession high in the opponents half has been shots from outside the 18 yard box.
    Kroos has already put a few away from the edge of the box in the Champions League this season.
    Gotze also ghosts into the box from deep and is bound to get one good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Come on united. Massive test for us.
    Keep the faith and just believe.
    2-1 to united!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Poop the pants time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just realised Rio isn't playing actually, not too happy about that. Smalling has been hot and cold even at CB this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Evra :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I don't get the love for Giles! Spends most of his time on the fence and when he does get off it and is wrong he has the same excuse of "I can only say what I see"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Think this will be close 2-1

Fcuking Evra already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Safe to say Bayern will shade the possession stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

WHY YOU NO SHOOT ROONEY!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pass it Rooney ffs!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gotta be quicker than that Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ah, wtf Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fcuk sake Rooney! Give it to Kagawa!

• Advertisement

Rooney poor there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

ffs Rooney, Kagawa was wide open :mad:

Rooney should have made more of that. Did well to take it down but should have hit it on his right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ah Rooney have to do better there.

Rooney left foot, left foot !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hon big Phil!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Wat Rooney?

I thought he was just toying with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He has to shoot there. Very unlike Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jesus Carrick has been caught on e ball three times already. Needs to wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bad from Rooney...don't think he realised how much time and space he had.

Ribery is giving Cavani a run for his money as the most useless player in the quarters.

Carrick is so so bad at keeping the ball against a high pressing team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Ya Carrick wake up ffs

Ribery's not as suited to a team that use slow possession based build-up play.
    He made hay last year with the direct counter attacking style Heynckes used. Especially against Barca

Evra's a waste of a jersey. Kagawa's got his work cut out trying to watch Lahm and Robben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Wasn't far off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement