Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Match Thread 9/4/14 k/o 19.45 RTE2/Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liam O wrote: »
    Obviously embarrass United so he can laugh in the match thread.

Bit harsh. I have been nothing but complimentary towards utd in this thread so far.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Has the ref lost his whistle or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He has plenty of time. This is going perfect for him and his gameplan right now, United get in at 0-0 against a clearly frustrated and blunt Bayern and he'll be delighted as should all United fans.

Why would Bayern be frustrated? They go through as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Robben really should have passed that. Lucky for us he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Watch the abuse lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

This is turning this into a rugby match. Hard to believe this is the quarter final stage both sides are playing some terrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Good first half by united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

welbeck off Adnan on plz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

This is brutal on the eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Half time, happy days! Game still very much alive and well :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Best thing about that half was my doritos and salsa dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Eight Ball wrote: »
    The referee is giving Bayern nothing at all.

Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Pep has forced a style that doesn't suit Bayern on them. They were far more effective as a fast breaking counter attack team.
    That one chance Robben at the end of the half was down to them breaking from a United mistake at midfield.
    United could easily nick a 1-0. All it takes is one set-piece.

Nolars wrote: »
    welbeck off Adnan on plz

Welbeck's workrate has been class and going forward, his pace is basically all we have going for us. He's one of few players actually linking up. I swear people just post this every game he plays for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This is really desperate stuff to watch. Bayern have no end product at all. United to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

welbeck off Adnan on plz

Welbeck has been gick in the tie as a whole.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

welbeck off Adnan on plz

What? Valencia off maybe. No way should Utd be taking off one if their very few outlets IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Reminds me of a lot of Chelsea games in Europe. Get 10 behind the ball and hope to nick something on the break or from a set-piece. Wouldn't surprise me at all if united get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm not Valencia's biggest fan cause of his one footedness but my god, Robben makes me wanna kick my tv and I'm a United supporter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why would Bayern be frustrated? They go through as it is.

Because they've had all the ball and haven't been able to trouble the United goal. United need to continue to keep it tight and then go for it with 25-20 minutes to go, if they go toe-to-toe with Bayern they'll be smashed. It's a game perfectly suited to Moyes defensive nature for once and his tactics are working perfectly thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Best thing about that half was my doritos and salsa dip.

Mild/Hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

niallo27 wrote: »
    Change things up a bit. They have tried the same thing for a game and a half and it's obviously not working.

Not working, who is winning so far???
    They have more of the ball, and have a clean sheet.
    And utd are playing so deep sure at one stage Rooney (the furthest player forward) wasnt even near the centre circle.
    Utd will come out second half and they need a goal. No more buses

Don't think I've seen a worse display from Robben ever. He's so easy to play against and offers Bayern nothing the way he's playing right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pep has turned a brilliant team into a disorganised, incoherent rabble.

If Utd score they go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Very much a nothing half.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Forget about getting a partner for Carrick, we need a whole new midfield next year.

°°°°°

mike65 wrote: »

That won the league in record time. That Pep character has to go surely.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Eight Ball wrote: »
    The referee is giving Bayern nothing at all.

Vidic yellow was ridiculously soft

Zero shots on target from either side, shocking game of football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Disorganised? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Pep would want to bring on the other ten players so Robben has someone to pass to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Atletico v Barca is on Sky1 and SS2.

There's a thread on it here too...

I like how the team that was due to destroy United prior to both legs are now ****e. I swear people fear they might spontaneously combust if they compliment United's defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

Fück me kroos plays beautiful football. Its not even that he's playing defensive WITH the defenders. More like he just slots in whenever a defender moves forward. Then you have alaba switching sides like he's Ronaldo and dante covering everything else. It will be seriously difficult for United not to concede let alone score

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

nullzero wrote: »
    That won the league in record time. That Pep character has to go surely.

Shhhhh some people are trying to create a narrative.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

rarnes1 wrote: »

It's like watching football Italia on channel 4 in the 90's. You know you should be watching but you're not exactly being entertained.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Don't think I've seen a worse display from Robben ever. He's so easy to play against and offers Bayern nothing the way he's playing right now.

I've seen worse. He had something like 25 shots in 3 Champions League finals before scoring in last years final v Dortmund. He was particularly wasteful against Chelsea in 2012.

He's got one trick - cut inside on his left and shoot. That's it. If he gets space on his left he's lethal - but if you channel him properly on his right foot as a back four he has no impact.

Pep would want to bring on the other ten players so Robben has someone to pass to.

Give over. Everytime he's had someone running off him or in space he's ignored them. He only ever passes inside the United half when he has absolutely no other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Does anyone else not give a monkeys that this is a dull and boring affair?? Frustrate the life outta Bayern, they'll open up in the second half wanting to prove a point and then the counter attack is on!

BELIEVE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Going to put a small amount of money on Bayern to qualify for next round, after the grand national I have been on a good losing streak :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Good performance from United so far. Very solid defensively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    This is really desperate stuff to watch. Bayern have no end product at all. United to go through.

it's turgid mourinhoesque football - ugghhh I don't think united fans want to their team to turn into a negative defense-minded team like chelsea, united are not about stealing 1-0 wins after playing with 10 at the back for most of the game, now I'm sure their fans would take a 1-0 win all day long but if that style of football continues then god help them watching that anti-football every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Munich have been very poor again tonight, how can they only have 1 goal against this man u side in 135mins???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bayern boring and predictable. United occupying all the space and cant break them down.
    This is a shadow of the team that thumped barca last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Munich have been very poor again tonight, how can they only have 1 goal against this man u side in 135mins???
    'Cos United have defended brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I like how the team that was due to destroy United prior to both legs are now ****e. I swear people fear they might spontaneously combust if they compliment United's defending.

hah! Sorry I didn't mean to reduce Utds role in this. They have done well closing down space, being resolute but that should not distract from just how pish Munich have been. They have players all over the shop.

If Utd can keep it tight until 70 mins or so they have a great chance.

Bayern's wingers need space in behind the Utd defense and they aren't getting it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Because they've had all the ball and haven't been able to trouble the United goal. United need to continue to keep it tight and then go for it with 25-20 minutes to go, if they go toe-to-toe with Bayern they'll be smashed. It's a game perfectly suited to Moyes defensive nature for once and his tactics are working perfectly thus far.

All they need to do is the exact same for 45 more minutes. Sitting back and being defensive is useless for United and I'm sure Pep is telling his team that. With 10-15 mins to go United will have to push forward and it's then that Bayern will find space. If Bayern keep possession and have the United players chasing shadows they'll be wrecked by the last 10-15, giving Bayern a double advantage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can i ask a question please? Am i right in thinking that if utd win by one or draw scoreless they go through? What happens if its a one all draw?

am i right that any draw of twoo all or over means Bayern go through on away goals? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

BNMC wrote: »
    Atletico v Barca is on Sky1 and SS2.

There's a thread on it here too...

Why dont you just argue the point, and say why its not a shocking game of football, instead of telling him to watch another match???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement