Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United Match Thread 9/4/14 k/o 19.45 RTE2/Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

rob316 wrote: »
    Bayern boring and predictable. United occupying all the space and cant break them down.
    This is a shadow of the team that thumped barca last year.

Barcelona played with a defensive line 30 yards further forward. United doing the right thing. Even if it hope on a prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

donfers wrote: »
    it's turgid mourinhoesque football - ugghhh I don't think united fans want to their team to turn into a negative defense-minded team like chelsea, united are not about stealing 1-0 wins after playing with 10 at the back for most of the game, now I'm sure their fans would take a 1-0 win all day long but if that style of football continues then god help them watching that anti-football every week

I hate this. There are more ways than one to play football. Effective or not effective should be the ways teams are judged. I'd rather my team defending like this when they need to and winning every game 1-0 than going out and attacking and getting spanked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

_74145143_021851090-1.jpg
    "Honestly ref, it's only taken me a couple of years to grow. Nice, isn't it?" :)

BNMC wrote: »
    Atletico v Barca is on Sky1 and SS2.

There's a thread on it here too...

ok

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Stheno wrote: »
    Can i ask a question please? Am i right in thinking that if utd win by one or draw scoreless they go through? What happens if its a one all draw?

am i right that any draw of twoo all or over means Bayern go through on away goals? Thanks

No you're wrong.

0-0 Bayern go through
    0-1 United go through
    1-0 Bayern go through
    1-1 extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Jernal wrote: »
    Barcelona played with a defensive line 30 yards further forward. United doing the right thing. Even if it hope on a prayer.

Making lemonade etc...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Can i ask a question please? Am i right in thinking that if utd win by one or draw scoreless they go through? What happens if its a one all draw?

am i right that any draw of twoo all or over means Bayern go through on away goals? Thanks

United go through with a 0-1 win after 90 mins or a score draw of 2-2 or higher on away goals
    A 1-1 draw at 90 mins brings it to extra time
    A 0-0 or a United defeat puts United out and Bayern through.

I think that's basically every scenario.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

0-0: Bayern go through
    1-1: Extra-time
    2-2 or above: Man Utd go through

Either team wins on the night and they go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United have made it past the dreaded 20 minute mark without scoring and have even made it past the 40 minute mark without a goal. Plain sailing from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Give over. Everytime he's had someone running off him or in space he's ignored them. He only ever passes inside the United half when he has absolutely no other option.

I'm taking the p*ss.
    I'm a Robben fan, but jaysus he's been dire tonight. Every single time, cut inside & shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fudge You wrote: »
    Not working, who is winning so far???
    They have more of the ball, and have a clean sheet.
    And utd are playing so deep sure at one stage Rooney (the furthest player forward) wasnt even near the centre circle.
    Utd will come out second half and they need a goal. No more buses

Do you think Munich are playing well honestly. They are not even creating chances.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm surprised how much Bayern are struggling here. Utd are definitely approaching the game in the way they need to in order to give themselves the best chance of progressing, but it makes for a dire spectacle overall when combined with Bayern's lack of ideas. If it stays scoreless for the next 20 mins and then utd try and open it up a bit more to score then it really could go any way really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    No you're wrong.

0-0 Bayern go through
    0-1 United go through
    1-0 Bayern go through
    1-1 extra time

is this a home game for Bayern? I thought it was a united home game 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'll credit united with good disciplined defending, but Munich seem to have no cutting edge or ideas where it counts, I.e in front of goal...

is this a home game for Bayern? I thought it was a united home game 😊

Yeah, Bayern are home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

John loves wrecking Bills head

Send the big men up.

nuxxx wrote: »
    John loves wrecking Bills head

Okie doke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I've seen worse. He had something like 25 shots in 3 Champions League finals before scoring in last years final v Dortmund. He was particularly wasteful against Chelsea in 2012.

He's got one trick - cut inside on his left and shoot. That's it. If he gets space on his left he's lethal - but if you channel him properly on his right foot as a back four he has no impact.

I think he is world class. And he has played at a top level for at least 9 years...
    I know many dont think hes much. But I love watching him. And Id say defenders hate playing against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Bayern parking the bus. Tut tut.. what a shite game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Smalling given a Rock bottom there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do you think Munich are playing well honestly. They are not even creating chances.

Well?
    Not great, but the way you are talking, bayern are getting a hammering out there. Do you expect a team to be 3-0 up at half time playing against a defence so deep like utd tonight.
    I think bayern are doing ok, and utd are defending very well.

I think he is world class. And he has played at a top level for at least 9 years...
    I know many dont think hes much. But I love watching him. And Id say defenders hate playing against him.

He's a very effective player, but he's not world class. If he had some impact of his right foot he would be.
    I used to love watching him when he played for Chelsea, but there are games where he frustrates the hell out of you as a supporter. He never looks for the pass - always goes himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Man U's bench is much stronger than FCBs.

At least you have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Rooney has been poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I've been a big critic of Phil Jones, but he's had a very good game so far, against Ribéry of all players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Nailz wrote: »
    I've been a big critic of Phil Jones, but had a very good game so far, against Ribéry of all players!

Jones is a serious player sick of arguing with people about that, Future United captain.

Nailz wrote: »
    I've been a big critic of Phil Jones, but had a very good game so far, against Ribéry of all players!

Anytime I've seen Jones at RB he looks far more comfortable defensively. He doesn't have much attacking threat from there but he's solid out like Ivanovic for Chelsea.
    Smalling looks a more natural centre-back of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

How all of a sudden have Bayern become so poor? It's like a pre season friendly the way they are passing it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Kagawa really is class in tight spaces.

• Advertisement

Well?
    Not great, but the way you are talking, bayern are getting a hammering out there. Do you expect a team to be 3-0 up at half time playing against a defence so deep like utd tonight.
    I think bayern are doing ok, and utd are defending very well.

I'm talking about both legs. They have created very little for the supposed best team in Europe. Utd don't even have to defend that well, just do the simple things right.

The funny thing is if we score you'd have to wonder what Bayern are going to do, they look like they haven't many alternatives

But we have to score...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Muller is like a young Eamon Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Jones MOTM so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I was delighted to see Kagawa start but he has been very poor so far. If it continues I wouldn't mind seeing Hernadez coming in for him and Rooney playing in behind the striker.

How did he get up after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That Manduzkic shot was going in I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why don't footballers wear cups? It wouldn't slow them down or anything.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Kagawa really is class in tight spaces.

That's what she said

Ba dum tish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Anytime I've seen Jones at RB he looks far more comfortable defensively.
    I always thought, if anywhere, that was his best position, still do not like seeing him play anywhere centrally though.

At least Kagawa tested the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A shot on target! Imagine that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

SHOT ON TARGET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Shot on target!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

For the fastest player in the world Valencia doesn't win many races.

• Advertisement

13zvjs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yup glad to see Jones having such a good game.

Have heard mates who support United slate him at times but he's had some tough luck with injuries and he's still developing. If he can perform like this more consistently then he's going to be a very important player for United

Having a stormer so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

YYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What a fúcking goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hahaha

What a goal. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement