Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catchy Fitness Log Title

Options
  • 06-04-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Basically my goals are to get fitter, stay lean and get even stronger. I usually play sport but as I'm doing the leaving cert I can't, so running and resistance training are all I have. I've been running a few weeks now but I want to start recording my progress to keep me on track.

Today's work:
    -Ran 2k in 8 mins.
    -Pull-ups: 6x8 @ bodyweight + 15kg
    -Push-ups: 5x10 @ bodyweight + 15kg

(Bodyweight is 70kg)

I'm trying to do fast pace running in little time rather than slow pace for 30 mins+.
    I've found in the past that the latter causes me to lose weight, including muscle. I also don't have access to a gym as you may have noticed but I make do with what I have and have made huge progressions so far and hope to continue to do so.

Well that's me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Went for a 3k run then finished it off with a few sprint intervals.

Pull-ups: 6x6 @ bodyweight + 22kg
    Push-ups: 4x10 @ bodyweight + 25kg

Went for 2k run of sprints/moderate pace.

Had pretty bad DOMS pretty much everywhere so going to take a rest for a day from everything.

Started to work out shoulders as they seem to be holding me back a bit in my workouts from time to time.

Push-ups: 4x10 @ bodyweight + 26kg
    Pull-ups: 6x6 @ bodyweight + 24kg
    Lateral raises: 3x10 @ 7.5kg each arm

Can't understand why lateral raises are so hard with such little weight, feels weird tbh. Could just be because I've never directly targeted shoulders before.

1k warm up @ 3:20 min / km pace
    Sprint intervals:10 x 8 second sprint 14 second rest
    1k cool down @ 4 min / km pace

Was close to puking after the intervals :D Hoping to do a 10 sec work / 15 sec rest next time.

Push-ups: 4x8 @ bodyweight + 27 kg
    Pull-ups: 5x5 @ bodyweight + 25 kg
    2x10 @ bodyweight + 13kg
    1x15 @ bodyweight
    Lateral raises: 3x15 @ 7.5kg each arm

Felt a sort of plateau coming on with the pull-ups so I decided to mix it up a bit. Think I just didn't have as much energy today due to the sprints last time, maybe need to up the carbs to sort this out or change the schedule.

• Advertisement

Pull-ups:
    2x10 @ bodyweight + 13kg
    2x8 @ bodyweight + 15kg
    2x6 @ bodyweight + 20kg
    1x5 @ bodyweight + 23kg
    1x4 @ bodyweight + 30kg

Lateral raises:
    4x20 @ 6.5kg each arm

Push-ups:
    2x10 @ bodyweight + 15kg (slow reps, 4 seconds down, 4 seconds up)
    1x15 @ bodyweight (explosive push-ups)

Was wondering why the raises were so easy, only realised afterwards I was only using 6.5kg :p , ready to try 8kg next time for at least 8 reps.
    Didn't do many push-ups today as I've injured my thumb so any resistance on it is somewhat painful.

LC finishes Friday, intend to start back at this then. Not in great shape atm, still as strong but my fitness is terrible. Going to go back to the method that got me fit when I was at my fittest and see how it goes.

Nothing else to do for two months except get fitter and stronger (and go on holidays). Should be good.

What better way to start off the summer than with a 10k run :D felt great, but unfortunately I was riddled with side stitches.

4.36km run in 17:15, avg pace 3:56. Had to stop once or twice with stitches so I'm taking that pace with a pinch of salt. Will do the same run again tomorrow hopefully.

Scratch that last sentence in the previous post, decided to get in a decent workout today as I won't have another chance until Thursday. Therefore I can't see a run happening for a few days :pac:

Bulgarian split squats:
    5x10 bw w/ 35kg each leg

Pull-ups:
    3x5 bw w/ 22kg
    3x5 bodyweight (lats just gave up :o)

Push-ups:
    3x10 bw w/ 12kg (slow reps)
    2x12 bw w/ 12kg (normal reps)
    1x15 bodyweight

Bodyweight is hovering around 66/67kg

• Advertisement

Ran 6-8km Wednesday and Today.
    Today also:

Pull-ups:
    3x5 bw w/ 25.5kg
    2x10 bw

Push ups:
    1x12 bw w/ 13kg
    2x8 bw w/ 13 kg (slow reps)
    2x10 bw (slow reps)

Tried to do some leg work but my quads are still fúcked from Monday. It's not normal soreness I think running Wednesday May have messed up my recovery. Will see what they're like tomorrow. Was hoping to start single leg deadlifts too, unfortunately it will have to wait.

It has been a while. I'm now in college and have started pre-season type stuff. My main goals for the winter are improving speed, speed endurance, explosiveness, and strength. I haven't decided whether or not to incorporate a full body program such as starting strength into my routine. I'm reading conflicting reports online about how squats can reduce sprint performance, which wouldn't be good.

Anyway, today I did the following:
    2km jog
    5x100m sprints (15 secs rest)

Will probably head over to the gym tomorrow as I finish early.

I may have rushed into getting back sprinting, still have a pain in my left hamstring near my knee when I bend it, think it'll be gone by the morning. If so I'll probably go for a run tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm now in at 9 on Mondays in college so going to the gym will have to be at 5, or later on in the evening.

Went to the gym today. Figured out some of my starting weights for starting strength. Bench will be 50kg. Going to head back tomorrow to figure out a starting weight for deadlifts, squats, shoulder press and pendlay rows.

Advertisement