Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented property near me have a caravan in the driveway with someone living in it!

Options
  • 07-04-2014 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭

So live in estate in lucan builder of the estate has let a number of houses throughout the estate one near me has eastern Europeans living in, they had another house further up the estate but left it recently, so tonight at around 9.45 they have just reversed a caravan into the driveway and they have people living in it! Is that legal? Have we a right to approach the landlord to get it moved? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm thinking that they've decided to live there "rent free", possibly not understanding the rental laws. Perhaps ask the builder landlord if he knows that there's a couple of people freeloading off one of his houses? Also enquire are they using the houses electricity (ie; have it hooked up through the letterbox)? One of those will probably get the LL to check the house out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So live in estate in lucan builder of the estate has let a number of houses throughout the estate one near me has eastern Europeans living in, they had another house further up the estate but left it recently, so tonight at around 9.45 they have just reversed a caravan into the driveway and they have people living in it! Is that legal? Have we a right to approach the landlord to get it moved? Any advice appreciated.

so what concern of yours is this? tempted to say myob as it affects you how?

ah you mean they are not renting the house? but they are. not your problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Nosy neighbour. MYOFB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note: Folks if you can't post constructively, then don't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To start with, you need to wait a few days and see how long your neighbours' visitors are staying for: every rental agreement lets people have occasional visitors, and there's nothing to say that such people must sleep in the house.

After that, if you believe the house is overcrowded then I guree you could express your concerns to the landlord about there being more people living in the property than he may have agreed to.

If he's not sympathetic, the you might approach the council re whether the on-site accommodation all meets rental standards and planning conditions for the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

To those saying MYOB, please, don't tell me if people decided to park a caravan in your neighbour's garden to live in it that you'd all be fine about it. What if your neighbours decided to start breaking cars (privately) in their front garden? Also none of your business? People can reasonably expect others not to do certain things in their gardens even though that's private property. The litter warden can fine you for litter on your own premises if it's visible from the public highway, similar story and right and proper.

Are you sure they're not just visiting?

murphaph wrote: »
    To those saying MYOB, please, don't tell me if people decided to park a caravan in your neighbour's garden to live in it that you'd all be fine about it. What if your neighbours decided to start breaking cars (privately) in their front garden? Also none of your business? People can reasonably expect others not to do certain things in their gardens even though that's private property. The litter warden can fine you for litter on your own premises if it's visible from the public highway, similar story and right and proper.

hreaking cars is somewhat different from this. will be interesting to see what the real law decides.

as i have no neighbours apart from the farmer who owns land up here and sprays slurry illegally..

i chose deeply rural as i would hate neighbours who watched like this. been there suffered that and would not have reacted as the op has....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is difficult to decipher your post OP so maybe you could clarify a couple of things.
    The builder of the estate retains ownership of a few houses in the estate which he lets out.
    One of these houses is near you occupied by E Euros.
    'they had another house further up the estate but left it recently' This is where I get confused. Who are 'they'. Is it the builder who owns the houses or were your neighbours renting 2 houses?
    'so tonight at around 9.45 they have just reversed a caravan into the driveway and they have people living in it!' Again who are 'they'? Have your neighbours vacated their house along with the other house? Which house has the caravan in it? Is the house with the caravan currently occupied?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

<incorrect advice>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

OK folks sorry out working not sure what myob means, just to clarify yes the tenents were renting 2 houses off the builder until recently, and various people in these houses seemed to move between houses, I noted a couple of weeks back they gave up the lease in one of the houses and then last night one of the guys across the road reversed the caravan into the driveway, I looked out later and could see some people inside in it this was around midnight. I'm not being smart just wanted to see if this goes against council laws or something ' they are only small 3 bedroom semidetached houses. They have a lot of cars which do block refuse collection access sometimes as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mention it to the landlord then as they are trespassing.

For your other issues you can ask the landlord to resolve them. Where the landlord does not resolve them you can file a complaint with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Its against planning laws for someone to have a temporary dwelling in their driveway with people living in it.

This is the Dun Laoghaire website but I am sure you'll find it on other planning websites as well. Planning laws tend to be national rather than local

Can I keep a caravan / campervan or boat in my garden without permission?
    Yes, subject to:
    Not more than 1 caravan / campervan or boat;
    No commercial / advertising use;
    Not used as a dwelling while stored;
    Storage not greater than 9 months in any year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

As already said it is against planning laws in most councils. It is completely the OPs business and has been deemed unacceptable in planning law. You can't move a caravan onto your driveway and have people live in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Graces7 wrote: »

i chose deeply rural as i would hate neighbours who watched like this. been there suffered that and would not have reacted as the op has....

So the OP is the villain in this scenario? You have got to be joking.

So the OP is the villain in this scenario? You have got to be joking.

lol. i did not say that!!! but i hate sticky beaks, period. cannot help but wonder if,,, oh forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol. i did not say that!!! but i hate sticky beaks, period. cannot help but wonder if,,, oh forget it!

This is not a place to judge other forum users - I have already asked you to post constructively or to not post at all.

If you ignore any further warnings, infractions will be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP maybe they gave up the lease because they are leaving the country. Perhaps they are going to travel with the caravan and don't leave till Wednesday and are staying with their friends till then

Folks is there any way to prove someone owns the house, speaking to some of the neighbours, they have already approached the woman who we know is the landlord she denies owning the house now, even though we all witnessed her showing potential tenants around the house last summer. I am going to approach her tomorrow I will probably get the same denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Folks is there any way to prove someone owns the house, speaking to some of the neighbours, they have already approached the woman who we know is the landlord she denies owning the house now, even though we all witnessed her showing potential tenants around the house last summer. I am going to approach her tomorrow I will probably get the same denial.

It will be recorded on the land registry but it will cost you €6 to see it. If you buy it online you should have the answer in a few minutes, even at night.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    It will be recorded on the land registry but it will cost you €6 to see it. If you buy it online you should have the answer in a few minutes, even at night.

Hi thanks for that so I went onto the PRAI site it brings up a map of our street, I think I'm looking at the right house I add it to the basket and it gives me the option to view Folio. Is that what I'm looking for? Will I be able to print it off? Or am I doing it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Hi thanks for that so I went onto the PRAI site it brings up a map of our street, I think I'm looking at the right house I add it to the basket and it gives me the option to view Folio. Is that what I'm looking for? Will I be able to print it off? Or am I doing it wrong?

Yeah, choose 'view folio' as you only want to find out who owns. You don't need boundary maps or anything. And my mistake, it's €5 not €6. They will email the folio to you as an attachment and you can easily print off the relevant pages. The folio will have a list of all the previous owners and when they bought, with a line through their details, the current owner will just be in plain text.

Thank you and got it back instantaneously owner is the builders family and has been since house built in 1999. Also handy to track other landlords as there are a good few rented houses on our street where the properties have fallen into poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pibs62

Hello there,
    may I add something?
    I am probably a bit older than you and I visited Ireland first 35 years ago and was living there 26 years ago for 4 years. I keep coming every year.
    Just to say, I`ve seen your country developing and it was normal for Irish guys to rent a caravan in front of houses. Families in the house needed the money and tenants were happy to stay for they had no jobs to pay higher rent. Nobody cared about it being legal, it`s a question of being in need and helping out each other.
    I understand, that you may lack this experience, living in modern Ireland today.
    Please just make shure first, that they are not just people like you and me, before you decide to be against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

What has breaking cars and littering got to do with someone sitting in a caravan ?

Are they having a rave in the caravan ?

How is the OP affected by this ?

Am I missing something here ?

What are they doing other than the usual watching tv/eating/sleeping.........

OK folks sorry out working not sure what myob means, just to clarify yes the tenents were renting 2 houses off the builder until recently, and various people in these houses seemed to move between houses, I noted a couple of weeks back they gave up the lease in one of the houses and then last night one of the guys across the road reversed the caravan into the driveway, I looked out later and could see some people inside in it this was around midnight. I'm not being smart just wanted to see if this goes against council laws or something ' they are only small 3 bedroom semidetached houses. They have a lot of cars which do block refuse collection access sometimes as well.

MYOB means 'Mind your own business'.

I cannot believe what I am reading. HOW do you have the time to 'notice' and 'note' so much about the business of these people ?

qdawg86 wrote: »
    What has breaking cars and littering got to do with someone sitting in a caravan ?

Are they having a rave in the caravan ?

How is the OP affected by this ?

Am I missing something here ?

What are they doing other than the usual watching tv/eating/sleeping.........
    If your neighbour was breaking cars in his front garden, would you have an opinion on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

there's an estate down the road from me with 4 caravans in 4 different for driveways.they have been there for well over a year. the houses are owned by private landlords but rented through the ras scheme.
    initially they were getting electric from the houses . now they have Jennie s.

the residence committee have tried everything to get rid of them but they are still there.

so there seems to be nothing you can do.

personally I'd be livid. back garden maybe but not front garden.

If your neighbour was breaking cars in his front garden, would you have an opinion on that?

Personally no I wouldn't. Unless they were doing it at an ungodly hour. However I am assuming that most people would have a problem with it and that's reasonable, as it's probably noisy etc and that would have an impact on you as a neighbour.

So again my question.....what has breaking cars got to do with someone sitting/watching tv/living their life in general in a caravan ?

They are two completely different activities with the potential to have two very different impacts on others.

• Advertisement

qdawg86 wrote: »
    Personally no I wouldn't. Unless they were doing it at an ungodly hour. However I am assuming that most people would have a problem with it and that's reasonable, as it's probably noisy etc and that would have an impact on you as a neighbour.

So again my question.....what has breaking cars got to do with someone sitting/watching tv/living their life in general in a caravan ?

They are two completely different activities with the potential to have two very different impacts on others.
    I own a property that I rent out. The neighbour took to parking a very large camper (converted IVECO van) in his garden, so that the camper blocked my tenant's sunlight completely in the afternoon. If you think parking high sided vehicles permanently in the drive is ok, go talk to my tenants! It is a nuisance and quite simply, people don't buy houses in estates for them to be turned into glorified halting sites!

Advertisement