Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented property near me have a caravan in the driveway with someone living in it!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

murphaph wrote: »
    I own a property that I rent out. The neighbour took to parking a very large camper (converted IVECO van) in his garden, so that the camper blocked my tenant's sunlight completely in the afternoon. If you think parking high sided vehicles permanently in the drive is ok, go talk to my tenants! It is a nuisance and quite simply, people don't buy houses in estates for them to be turned into glorified halting sites!

Yes very true, I didn't pay for my house to look out on a halting site across the road! Nothing like this to bring the neighbours together, Caravan was moved out of the driveway on Thursday night, so all good, we might start writing to other landlords on the street as some of the houses are in very poor repair!

qdawg86 wrote: »
    MYOB means 'Mind your own business'.

I cannot believe what I am reading. HOW do you have the time to 'notice' and 'note' so much about the business of these people ?

Yeah and I wish you would mind yours as you bring nothing to this thread maybe a landlord perhaps?
    Just to clarify, if you had young kids playing outside you like to know they are safe in that environment so you tend to notice a house full of men who don't say hello or goodbye to the neighbours and wear their hoodies up all the time! As was shown to terrible effect in Athlone, you really don't know who your neighbours are!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Qdawg86 please do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nothing like this to bring the neighbours together, Caravan was moved out of the driveway on Thursday night, so all good, we might start writing to other landlords on the street as some of the houses are in very poor repair!
    Yes, a common enemy brings everyone together. If you keep the drive, I'd say you could get some good done.

An idea would be to get someone to look at the houses in bad shape, and see if they can be done nicely cheaply. If the landlord thinks the repairs will cost them silly money, they won't do it.

yeah if we could get enough owner occupied houses to take an interest then we could track down the landlords through the land registry! Anyway thanks for all the help from most of the posters on this thread who gave me some good advice on what our rights are and what is and isn't allowed in situations like this. I'm sure i'll be back on here at some stage with another crisis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 upderebels

OK folks sorry out working not sure what myob means, just to clarify yes the tenents were renting 2 houses off the builder until recently, and various people in these houses seemed to move between houses, I noted a couple of weeks back they gave up the lease in one of the houses and then last night one of the guys across the road reversed the caravan into the driveway, I looked out later and could see some people inside in it this was around midnight. I'm not being smart just wanted to see if this goes against council laws or something ' they are only small 3 bedroom semidetached houses. They have a lot of cars which do block refuse collection access sometimes as well.

It is not illegal to have a caravan parked in your driveway for the purpose of storing it over the winter months, but it is against local bylaws to live in one parked in the driveway,
    Check with you're Laval council and garda,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

pibs62 wrote: »
    Hello there,
    may I add something?
    I am probably a bit older than you and I visited Ireland first 35 years ago and was living there 26 years ago for 4 years. I keep coming every year.
    Just to say, I`ve seen your country developing and it was normal for Irish guys to rent a caravan in front of houses. Families in the house needed the money and tenants were happy to stay for they had no jobs to pay higher rent. Nobody cared about it being legal, it`s a question of being in need and helping out each other.
    I understand, that you may lack this experience, living in modern Ireland today.
    Please just make shure first, that they are not just people like you and me, before you decide to be against them.

Its not something I recall and it was far from normal in Galway anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 upderebels

h2005 wrote: »
    Its not something I recall and it was far from normal in Galway anyways.

If i wanted to avoid paying water rates ,household charges and property tax ,I would love to stop paying my mortgage and give me house back to the banks , get a caravan and put it in my brothers driveway and live the good life,but having a wife, 3kids and a car loan to fund its not going to happen,the country would end up as a big trailer park,and if my neighbours did put a caravan in their driveway with people living in it I would be the first to complain them,
    Moto of this story is
    If you want to live in a caravan ,go to your nearest halting site,

Advertisement