Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change sons name????

Options
  • 07-04-2014 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I am getting married in July and will be taking my fiancé' name. My youngest son already has that name too but my oldest is 7 and from a previous relationship and wants to be the same name as us and I would like him to be too. However he still has visitation with his father. Is there any way of making this happen?? If so, how?? My H2B would love him to have his name also, we've been together since oldest just turned 1. He has my surname from birth

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can change his name through common usage, has the father got guardianship? He may not be happy about it but may agree if you chat to him and explain it's important to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StaceyT

January wrote: »
    You can change his name through common usage, has the father got guardianship? He may not be happy about it but may agree if you chat to him and explain it's important to you all.

No he doesn't have guardianship and is not on the birth cert, I know he won't agree as he is constantly calling him by his surname even tho nobody else does and he's known as my surname, also he's very thick and stubborn 😪

So just basically start calling him what I want wen I'm married??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, in ireland it's common usage, so you start putting it on his school documents, credit union accounts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It can be changed on the birth register or by deed poll.
    Can't link to citizens information as I'm on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

As far as I'm aware once his mother (you) has registered her marriage to another man then he should be able to legal legally use the surname of the husband.

Not an expert.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Advertisement