Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

Duke Nukem : Forever and Colonial Marines are both mediocre games but they're nowhere near as bad as most make them out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No sarcasm. I love Harvest Moon and Run Factory. Great series of games with loads of charm. Pity I don't have the time to put into them anymore.

I'm on my second last day of college before I get three months off before giving birth, I have a funny feeling I'll turn into a farming nut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

anyone who does not like or respect Mario , zelda , metroid and other nintendo ips have no credibility talking about videogames

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

anyone who does not like or respect Mario , zelda , metroid and other nintendo ips have no credibility talking about videogames

lol

Neverhood was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Difference between like and respect.

I respect how those games changed things and inspired others etc. But the little bits of Mario I've played was good, but not great, seeing as how it was many years after release that I played them.

I respect those games. But I would probably never choose to play any of them these days. And their importance as IPs (bar Mario) has diminished greatly over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Daith

Nintendo would be better going 3rd party and allowing others to worry about hardware specs and online systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Daith wrote: »
    Nintendo would be better going 3rd party and allowing others to worry about hardware specs and online systems.

Worked well for Sega

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Mass Effect 1 was by far the best of the series.

The Gamecube was the best console of its time.

Uncharted is a completely average and unimaginative series of games.

The videogame industry would benefit massively from a 10 year ban on all sequels and reboots.

It could also possibly benefit from a short ban on all shooters.

Alpha releases are as much of a scam as anything the big AAA publishers try to pull and they're only tolerated because it's mostly done by indie devs.

The Simpsons Tapped out is utterly woeful as a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Shift 2 is on sale now in the PS Store.

It's a fiver on the xvmarketplace site. Seriously tempted to get it again, one of the best racers I've ever played. I miss the Underground series, all these new NFS's are shallow shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

C14N wrote: »

Alpha releases are as much of a scam as anything the big AAA publishers try to pull and they're only tolerated because it's mostly done by indie devs.

I couldn't agree any more. I've paid for four early releases on steam and regretted every one of them. Its really my own dumb fault. Fool me once etc. The worst thing is that these games are apparently unable to be criticised because they aren't finished. "Early Access" should read "Avoid at all costs". The games I fell for are DayZ, Rust, Castle Story and War for the Underworld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Grimebox wrote: »
    I couldn't agree any more. I've paid for four early releases on steam and regretted every one of them. Its really my own dumb fault. Fool me once etc. The worst thing is that these games are apparently unable to be criticised because they aren't finished. "Early Access" should read "Avoid at all costs". The games I fell for are DayZ, Rust, Castle Story and War for the Underworld.

In DayZ's defence, the developers posts this front and center of the store

“DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Mass Effect 1 was by far the best of the series.

The Gamecube was the best console of its time.

Uncharted is a completely average and unimaginative series of games.

The videogame industry would benefit massively from a 10 year ban on all sequels and reboots.

It could also possibly benefit from a short ban on all shooters.

The Simpsons Tapped out is utterly woeful as a game.

Not an unpopular opinion at all especially in terms of story and RPG elements.

Another opinion:

The pacing in the modern Battlefield games is terrible being a mixture between Call Of Duty and ARMA, both games which I really enjoy, also Black Ops was probably my favourite Call of Duty being more balanced and innovative than any of the others in the series especially any of that newer ****e.

Not an unpopular opinion at all especially in terms of story and RPG elements.

Really? I thought it was generally agreed that 2 was the best. Allow me to make it more unpopular:

The Mako sections in Mass Effect 1 were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Didn't play the 1st one but the 3rd is the best for me (even with the ending)

I enjoyed both but my god is the gameplay boring in ME2. At least it's improved on a lot in ME3.

I went straight from 2 to 3 so I could instantly see it was a big improvement in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

tok9 wrote: »
    Didn't play the 1st one but the 3rd is the best for me (even with the ending)

I enjoyed both but my god is the gameplay boring in ME2. At least it's improved on a lot in ME3.

I went straight from 2 to 3 so I could instantly see it was a big improvement in that area.

you are missing out.

The original mario karts has never been bettered by any other in the series

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm pretty sure multiple preferences for every Mass Effect have been voiced here :pac: (although I seem to be almost alone in my fondness for part two :()

Generally speaking, it's actually gotten to the point where I wouldn't have a clue what general consensus about individual games was if it wasn't for threads like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm pretty sure multiple preferences for every Mass Effect have been voiced here :pac: (although I seem to be almost alone in my fondness for part two :()

Generally speaking, it's actually gotten to the point where I wouldn't have a clue what general consensus about individual games was if it wasn't for threads like this!

To confuse you even further, I think the entire series is mediocre. Tried 1 and 2. Neither could hold my attention until the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Grimebox wrote: »
    To confuse you even further, I think the entire series is mediocre. Tried 1 and 2. Neither could hold my attention until the end

I'd actually tend to agree with you - it's largely an awkward mix of shooter and RPG mechanics wrapped in layers of hoaky sci-fi lore. Certainly only had a middling response to the first and third games, and I'd probably feel the same about the second if its experiments in player agency and consequences of actions didn't come together at the end in a wholly interesting way.

That reminds me actually (*puts on flame retardant armour for this one*): Dragon Age Origins is derivative nonsense, full of bland combat, painfully predictable level design, bog standard fantasy world building and the general maturity of a lobotomised 12 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd actually tend to agree with you - it's largely an awkward mix of shooter and RPG mechanics wrapped in layers of hoaky sci-fi lore.

Yeah, I picked up ME3 in a sale at Christmas for a couple of euros and I've played a couple of hours but I find it hard to get into because there's something kind of goofy about it imo. It's kind of what you'd expect a parody of a nerdy sci-fi game would be like. That said, maybe I'll play another 20 hours of it and think it's the best thing in the world but I'm not holding out much hope…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Really? I thought it was generally agreed that 2 was the best. Allow me to make it more unpopular:

The Mako sections in Mass Effect 1 were class.

Well it's a bit like the newer Elder Scroll series.

If you played them from the start, ME1(Oblivion a better RPG than Skyrim) will always be the best but if you started from ME2(Skyrim more geared towards COD audience) than that is your preferred one.

• Advertisement

Defiance is the only game with an online aspect that I have ever really enjoyed. It's a MMO game that knows that some people just want to play by themselves. The way you can join up with others or gatecrash a battle great and as I type I'm reinstalling it so as to play through all of season 1 again.

If it makes you feel any better, your favourite one has the highest Metascore.
    Yeah, I picked up ME3 in a sale at Christmas for a couple of euros and I've played a couple of hours but I find it hard to get into because there's something kind of goofy about it imo. It's kind of what you'd expect a parody of a nerdy sci-fi game would be like. That said, maybe I'll play another 20 hours of it and think it's the best thing in the world but I'm not holding out much hope…

It's a bit weird starting with the third tbh. I think the reason many people became attached to it was because they saw their character and decisions carry through 3 different games.

More unpopular Mass Effect opinions:
    The ending was perfectly fine. The fact that the different options all showed the same scene was pretty lazy but for the most part it was grand and the backlash was largely a product of mob mentality that wouldn't have existed without the anger outlet of the internet.

Also: on disc/day one DLC isn't really any worse than standard DLC released a month after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Damn you all and your Mass Effect bashing! It's brilliant.

I also agree that ME2 was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The Tony Hawk series is one of the greatest of all time. The first 5 from THPS 1 to T.H.U.G were all stone cold classics and could stand beside any game in terms of level design, controls, soundtrack or playablity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    The Tony Hawk series is one of the greatest of all time. The first 5 from THPS 1 to T.H.U.G were all stone cold classics and could stand beside any game in terms of level design, controls, soundtrack or playablity.

Dont think you would find anyone disagreeing with you on that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Most disgusting thing and I hope its really proper "unpopular" opinion. One of the reasons why I said "hardcore Nintendo fanbase are the smugiest gamers on earth".

I do have respect to Nintendo for who they were and how they built up gaming. I even now have huge respect for pulling off such a miracle out of their arses with 3DS.
    Then again I dont like Nintendo games right now and I find them way over rated and still coasting on its Legacy. Currently Nintendo is shiet in Console Gaming, but very strong in Handheld world.
    Just because I dont drool over anything that Nintendo decided to throw at fans, does not mean I dont have credibility to talk about Videogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

J. Marston wrote: »
    Damn you all your Mass Effect bashing! It's brilliant.

I also agree that ME2 was the best.

I LOVED ME1, I LIKED ME2, I poped in ME3 played for 15 minutes and never turned it one. I am still planing on coming back and Finishing trilogy, but I just cant get over the Robot acting and dialog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I LOVED ME1, I LIKED ME2, I poped in ME3 played for 15 minutes and never turned it one. I am still planing on coming back and Finishing trilogy, but I just cant get over the Robot acting and dialog.

For me ME1 was best. It felt like an actual RPG with a sci fi setting. 2&3 were just 3rd person shooters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Play as female Shepard. Jennifer hale is fantastic.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Play as female Shepard. Jennifer hale is fantastic.

I re-bought the games on Steam recently, reckon I'll do that next time.

Advertisement