Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Most disgusting thing and I hope its really proper "unpopular" opinion. One of the reasons why I said "hardcore Nintendo fanbase are the smugiest gamers on earth".

I do have respect to Nintendo for who they were and how they built up gaming. I even now have huge respect for pulling off such a miracle out of their arses with 3DS.
    Then again I dont like Nintendo games right now and I find them way over rated and still coasting on its Legacy. Currently Nintendo is shiet in Console Gaming, but very strong in Handheld world.
    Just because I dont drool over anything that Nintendo decided to throw at fans, does not mean I dont have credibility to talk about Videogames.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Play as female Shepard. Jennifer hale is fantastic.

I heard that she did a great job on it. I got all ME games on PC, but I played ME1 and ME2 on 360. Sadly my 360 decided to break while sitting in a box. I dont want to start ME3 freshly as all the things I did before wont count in. I really cannot be arsed playing all ME games right now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I actually liked/enjoyed Driver 3...

/runs...

Monster...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's kinda unforgivable, that game was broken in every way.
    Gamestop lost their shirt on that one, bought in thousands of units and most of them were returned, total muck.
    Parallel Lines was pretty underrated, though the cops were too good in that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Defiance is the only game with an online aspect that I have ever really enjoyed. It's a MMO game that knows that some people just want to play by themselves. The way you can join up with others or gatecrash a battle great and as I type I'm reinstalling it so as to play through all of season 1 again.

Hmm, I might try Defiance. I did like the casual grouping in Guild Wars 2's open world. You might want to give Firefall a look - another FPS/TPS game where you can casually switch between grouping up/going solo. I had fun in it for several months before quitting.
    For me ME1 was best. It felt like an actual RPG with a sci fi setting. 2&3 were just 3rd person shooters.

"Just"!?

The first game would only be improved if it had the combat of the sequel. I'm trying to remember what RPG elements from the first game were sorely lacking in the sequel....

'terrible... inventory'? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The combat in Mass Effect 2 was pure ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Grimebox wrote: »
    The combat in Mass Effect 2 was pure ****e

The combat in Mass Effect 1 was worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The combat in Mass Effect 1 was worse.

People forget ME was a reskin of Knights of the Old Republic, from the PC and Xbox.
    Yes, they used different game engines but the combat, game progression and design are all common between both.
    In fact, it was a criticism at the time, that it was really a KoToR game but without the license, and the story was weaker as a result.
    Of course from our perspective the story is solid, and this is probably down by the success of ME2 and it's move to integrate a better real time combat system into proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

must've been the only criticism considering how highly the game scored with everyone. I agree though, the combat was bad, i much preferred 2 and 3's combat, in fact the combat in 3 is some of the best and easiest to play, can be challenging too in co-op with the various difficulty settings.

• Advertisement

I keep meaning to get to the third, just so much to play these days.
    I will get to it, right after Skyrim, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and another couple of dozen games in the wings, awaiting their turn!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought the combat was grand but to be honest I generally just wanted to get through it as quick as possible so I could progress the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Mako sections in 1 were utterly abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    People forget ME was a reskin of Knights of the Old Republic, from the PC and Xbox.
    Yes, they used different game engines but the combat, game progression and design are all common between both.
    In fact, it was a criticism at the time, that it was really a KoToR game but without the license, and the story was weaker as a result.
    Of course from our perspective the story is solid, and this is probably down by the success of ME2 and it's move to integrate a better real time combat system into proceedings.

I never actually played KOTOR (still sitting in the Steam pile) so the system was completely new to me at the time. I liked it better in ME1 though when the guns had unlimited ammo but longer cooldown times. I did a lot better in tough situations with that system for some reason.
    The Mako sections in 1 were utterly abhorrent.

Is that supposed to be unpopular? I've never met a person besides me who didn't loathe the Mako.

The first two Crash Bandicoot games were mediocre platformers. (Can't say the same about the 3rd since it was pretty good)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

C14N wrote: »
    I've never met a person besides me who didn't loathe the Mako.

No, there is another who is also misguided. ;)[NSFW Link]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i liked the mako :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I just cant get into nintendo games like Mario, zelda or metroid. The only one from them I can play is pokemon but I get easily distracted into playing another game.

I just cant get into nintendo games like Mario, zelda or metroid. The only one from them I can play is pokemon but I get easily distracted into playing another game.

In your defence on this one, Metroid can be hard to get into. In the cases of the Prime games at least you get very little instruction on what to do and there is almost no dialogue along the way to give you any exposition or story.

That said I still think they're very well-made games.

C14N wrote: »
    In your defence on this one, Metroid can be hard to get into. In the cases of the Prime games at least you get very little instruction on what to do and there is almost no dialogue along the way to give you any exposition or story.

That said I still think they're very well-made games.

?
    Er, no...
    Metroid Prime had masses of exposition, most of it in the scannable panels in nearly every room, giving the background to the planet and what happened there.
    There's no dialogue because, well, she's alone!
    And the missions give you a big fat "?" on the map and ask you to get there... seems like enough for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I actually liked/enjoyed Driver 3...

/runs...

The driving and vehicle physics were excellent but everything else was absolutely terrible. I still loved it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought Skyrim was crap ....and i love games like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I thought Skyrim was crap ....and i love games like that

I wouldn't say crap, but considering the amount of hours I piled into Oblivion, Skyrim just hasn't grabbed me all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Darksiders is one of the best new IPs of recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

i liked the mako :(

Me too!
    I was annoyed that it was gone from
    the sequels. We should form a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

sweetie wrote: »
    Darksiders is one of the best new IPs of recent years

The Diamat boss is infuriatingly difficult so i had to walk away from this one.

Darksiders is the most unoriginal game series since all those 8 bit donkey kong clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Darksiders is the most unoriginal game series since all those 8 bit donkey kong clones.

I'd like to draw your attention to every Pokémon sequel ever.

Well pokemon was original on release.

Darksiders is 'remember the portal gun from portal? Lets steal that!'.

As I said before though I'm fine with it since they're good games at least.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    ?
    Er, no...
    Metroid Prime had masses of exposition, most of it in the scannable panels in nearly every room, giving the background to the planet and what happened there.
    There's no dialogue because, well, she's alone!
    And the missions give you a big fat "?" on the map and ask you to get there... seems like enough for me!

Sure, enough for you but it's still got much more of a mentality of "figure it out yourself" imo than other adventure type games like Zelda. I'm aware of why there's no dialogue, I was just making the point that it is a game where you as the player are isolated almost all the time (part 3 had a few friendly space marines in it too at certain points). It tells you where you need to go but often part of the challenge is figuring out how to get there.

I'm not saying this is all bad, I'm just saying I can see where someone would get stuck with it.

Advertisement