Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's kinda how the series has always worked, you explore, find limits to your exploration due to not having the right suit, weapon, ability and, as those are unlocked, the areas open up, the manner of this ensures you are seldom, if ever, in the completely wrong place, as long as you keep your map handy!
    In this respect the Prime series made it all easier by highlighting locked doors and blocked areas on the map, aiding navigation, though Super Metroid and her map are famous at being so damn good, though it supplied hints through its big box manual, that glass tunnel puzzle for example.
    But, you're right, it can be a challenge and there can be a few face palm as you realise you've missed a certain door while tramping from one end of the open map to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Half Life 2 wasn't anything special.

(I loved Half-life 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Remouad wrote: »

(I loved Half-life 1)

With that in mind, Half 2, episode 3 will never be released....and I am perfectly fine with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Remouad wrote: »

(I loved Half-life 1)

I too loved HL1 and despaired with its exclusion from The Orange Box, though that's like hating Santa because he doesn't bring Easter Eggs, given it gave so much as it was.
    But Half Life 2 was really something special, perhaps a revisit is in order?

• OSI wrote: »
    The Borderlands and Mass Effect series' are massively overhyped and underwhelming

I enjoyed Borderlands the first time I played both titles.

Now it's like flogging a dead horse with the insane amount of repetitive DLC & another 'Pre-Sequal' which essentially is more DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But Half Life 2 was really something special, perhaps a revisit is in order?

Perhaps but given my restricted gaming time, massive backlog and the recent xv marketplace sale it would be 2035 before I got to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I Enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas just as much as i did Fallout 3.

I didn't mind there hadn't been to much in the way of new features. Felt like get more of Fallout 3 - which was find by me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

System Shock 2 wasn't that good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kcPpd.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't even go there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It was boring. There I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Metal gear solid.... The whole keep hitting the skip button, cut scene, pile of pish.... And its new 30 euro demo ..2 hours of gameplay ...or 10 minutes of gameplay and 1 hour 50 minutes of cut scene... ha...hahaha..

Bring on the fan boi...

Oh can I have two , course I can so shut it...

The walking dead game... Or should I say lame..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bring on the fan boi...

Bring on the grammar and punctuation book.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

All those people Raving about how good it is and how better it is then Bioshock 1... Nope... Its a different game and I will take Bioshock due to its setting over system shock 2 any day.

So yeah expanding on that: Bioshock 1 > System Shock 2 to those who compare them. I would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I Enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas just as much as i did Fallout 3.

I didn't mind there hadn't been to much in the way of new features. Felt like get more of Fallout 3 - which was find by me :)

I enjoyed it far more, Fallout NV was the better game.

All those people Raving about how good it is and how better it is then Bioshock 1... Nope... Its a different game and I will take Bioshock due to its setting over system shock 2 any day.

So yeah expanding on that: Bioshock 1 > System Shock 2 to those who compare them. I would not.

i always knew you were a casual gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The gaming community worry far too much regarding game journalism and bribes.

i always knew you were a casual gamer

Considering a few threads lately I cant decide if its a compliment or an insult! :P

I never played it when it came out, so I played it as it is. ( graphical mods only ) I dont have rose tinted glasses effect.
    I do agree, its still a good game, but for me Rapture was way more interesting place to explore then generic spaceship.

i never played it when it came out either (or at least, never finished it or got terribly far in it)

i only played it for the first time last year. it's incredible. it pisses all over bioshock (which I also love), which was just so "streamlined" to borrow a term from mass effect 2 fanboys.

• Advertisement

Bring on the grammar and punctuation book.

Ugh you're mad. It's ok. Put your p in a v you'll be all better. Can you spell "derailing topic".

i never played it when it came out either (or at least, never finished it or got terribly far in it)

i only played it for the first time last year. it's incredible. it pisses all over bioshock (which I also love), which was just so "streamlined" to borrow a term from mass effect 2 fanboys.

I guess its more to do with actual setting. I love it a lot more in Bioshock, then SS2. Streamlined - yes. Worse because of it - nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I stay clear of Final Fantasy and MGS games, tried them in the past, didn't like them.

I don't see the appeal at all.

Recently spent 60hrs on a playthrough of Dark Souls, I didn't like it, but I kept with it to the end to see if I was converted by end of it, I was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I stay clear of Final Fantasy and MGS games, tried them in the past, didn't like them.

Recently spent 60hrs on a playthrough of Dark Souls, I didn't like it, but I kept with it to the end to see if I was converted by end of it, I was not.

60 hours is a lot of time to spend wondering if you'll be converted by the end. I can't imagine I'd have the patience.

I've played the first 3 Metal Gear Solid games and really enjoyed them but the cutscenes can be annoying especially when you're trying to squeeze in a quick bit of playing between work and family commitments and you have what feels like a half an hour of a movie playing before you can do anything. I know I can skip them but I don't ever want to do that. Actually I hate when I accidently skip the cutscene. I know they're not really going to make a difference to me playing the game but when I'm playing through a game I want the whole story experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

60 hours is a lot of time to spend wondering if you'll be converted by the end. I can't imagine I'd have the patience.

Well I suppose after 20, I just thought, I am gonna finish this sh*t no matter how long it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Oblivion is the best TES game.

Also Braid is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Oblivion is the best TES game.

{...}

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Sure that's only scratching the surface :pac:

What didn't you like about it out of interest? That's a lot of time to pump into a game if you're not getting into it. I'd usually give everything a chance as well but if something doesn't grab me after a few hours I'd abandon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

OSI wrote: »
    The Borderlands and Mass Effect series' are massively overhyped and underwhelming

I didn't know Borderlands was ever that hyped to begin with.
    Metal gear solid.... The whole keep hitting the skip button, cut scene, pile of pish.... And its new 30 euro demo ..2 hours of gameplay ...or 10 minutes of gameplay and 1 hour 50 minutes of cut scene... ha...hahaha..

Bring on the fan boi...

Ranting against MGS: Ground Zeroes is about the least unpopular thing you could do.
    tok9 wrote: »
    The gaming community worry far too much regarding game journalism and bribes.

Calling people out for straight up bribes is usually ridiculous and unfounded, although there is still a problem with gaming journalism and general tendency to get on hype trains. For example:

Z7oeODE.jpg?1

That little award icon basically means that Titanfall was considered a great game before it was even done. That's the problem I, personally, have with game journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

C14N wrote: »
    In your defence on this one, Metroid can be hard to get into. In the cases of the Prime games at least you get very little instruction on what to do and there is almost no dialogue along the way to give you any exposition or story.

That said I still think they're very well-made games.

Suppose that was probably it, I dont expect the entire story to be spoon fed to me but I expect to have some idea whats going on without much effort. I get annoyed at seeing something and then never finding an explanation until I look online because I missed something. Half life was annoying at parts, I couldnt even ask the people questions about what happened in the gap.

Advertisement