Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    On the other hand it's another way a publisher can fill a gap in the market with game developers who are void of relevant ideas for new gaming experiences and would rather repackage old content with a HD tag on it.

It's useful for some of us though. For example I never had a PS2 so I was greatful to get a load of the PS2 game re-released on PS3 in a nicer-looking version. If it wasn't for re-releases I never would have gotten to play God of War or Shadow of The Colossus or MGS 3. I feel like it's generally not enough of a project that it takes significant resources from the publisher either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

C14N wrote: »

I think the idea of a price should be mentioned in the review itself if you think it's relevant (e.g. "this game is pretty good but it's so small I wouldn't buy it at full price") but that's about it. As far as scores go, we really need to do away with anything that scores it out of 100. That's just an unnecessary level of accuracy that really only makes a difference at the top of the scale (who cares about the difference between 35% or 37%?). A score should just be there to sum up general opinions imo, not to say "this game is 4% better than that game"

I dont mind marks out of 100, once they show how they got there - ie 10/10 for graphics, 9/10 for sound etc etc. its when theres a random number at the end that cracks me up.

In general, and as with movie reviewers, I try and find someone who's general opinions align with mine, and base my initial judgement on that. Its getting harder and harder to do though as sites seem to be moving away from having one or 2 reviewers who write solely for a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

On the topic of Reviews they should really have separate scores for the single and multiplayer elements.
    It really annoys me when a game gets a really high score even though it's single player is crap.

On the other hand it's another way a publisher can fill a gap in the market with game developers who are void of relevant ideas for new gaming experiences and would rather repackage old content with a HD tag on it.

I like them too, some of them are great value as well (MGS HD collection).

that being said, I've yet to buy one, but I appreciate that the option is there.

Remouad wrote: »
    On the topic of Reviews they should really have separate scores for the single and multiplayer elements.
    It really annoys me when a game gets a really high score even though it's single player is crap.

lol, I remember the days when it was all about the single player review and the multiplayer was lucky to get a paragraph at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

New Fifa games.

Would be a soccer fan in general and was a massive fan of the old Pro Evo games.

All my friends are big fans but it all feels a bit, rubbery, for lack of a better word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All realistic soccer games for me. I'm not a fan of sports games but I just don't see the point in soccer games and find them really boring. I can see how other sports games such as Ice Hockey, American Football and Golf for example work as videogames and work well but I just feel games that try to represent soccer in a realistic manner just don't translate well as a videogame unlike other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All realistic soccer games for me. I'm not a fan of sports games but I just don't see the point in soccer games and find them really boring. I can see how other sports games such as Ice Hockey, American Football and Golf for example work as videogames and work well but I just feel games that try to represent soccer in a realistic manner just don't translate well as a videogame unlike other sports.

I suppose you could be right. In an effort to replicate the realism of the sport, they may be moving further away from what makes video games appealing.

Probably should have realised that myself, being a fully paid up WoW player :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Football management games work much better. It must be the only sport where simulations of coaching are superior to simulations of the actual game. André Villas-Boas claims he learned a lot from Championship Manager!

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Soccer games can be one of the most enjoyable couch coop options you can buy for a console with a couple of buddies and a rake of cans.
    Similar effect with racing titles / fighting games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Soccer games can be one of the most enjoyable couch coop options you can buy for a console with a couple of buddies and a rake of cans.

I don't really like soccer games but I fondly remember playing them in friends houses like you described. A big tourney and loser always had to do a forfeit. Great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Sensible Soccer ftw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Sensible Soccer ftw.

I fully endorse this message.
    Football genius reached full time with Sensi Soccer.
    Everything else is what you play when you are waiting to play more Sensi Soccer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Review scores are meaningless short cuts for people who imagine a videogame and what it can offer the player can be condensed into a score out of a given number.
    A review is information rich and a good review can help the prospective buyer know if a game is for them regardless of its great innovations or dreadful flaws, and allows for the subjective likes of the reader, so I will have more fun with a 7/10 game like Warhammer on the PS2 than I did with any 9/10 Disgea title.
    Ditch the scores, read the text and debate the points raised in places like this, knowing a games average score does not in any way make a person knowledgeable about that title, but for many that's what they think it is.
    At least, using the review as a starting point, you can find further opinion from fans of the genre, from those who detest them or those on the fence, then take from that the salient information to inform your purchase.
    At least that's what I reckon anywho.
    I wouldn't get me to review a side scrolling beat'em up though, I hate nearly every one of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not for me. Find them mind numbingly dull in comparison to any other co-op experience. Even other sports games like NHL or Madden just work so much better as games. Well for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Not for me. Find them mind numbingly dull in comparison to any other co-op experience. Even other sports games like NHL or Madden just work so much better as games. Well for me anyway.

I cannot agree with Madden. Its been a terrible simulation of the sport for so long now and as a game its pretty uneven. If you choose to play as a player (let the AI choose your plays) its a pretty dull game and if you choose to be both coach and player then you need to know the intricacies of the sport. Do you know the difference between an i and t formation? It is so far behind games like Fifa and NHL both a gameplay level and a sporting simulation. American football is an extremely tactical sport and the Madden series fails to convey that.

In my defence I've not played it in years.

Another unpopular opinion:

Borderlands 2 is as funny as dying from cancer. Having characters regurgitate lines from films and internet memes is not comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The older PES games on the 360 or late in the ps2 life cycle where the best. The one with that crazy Italian ref on the front for example.

That said I have PES 13 and its not bad, slow down let's it down though but it has the right idea.

FIFA has been terrible since 2010 version. As others have said its the attempt at simulation that just doesn't work. Well I say it doesn't work but it obviously does for a hell of a lot of people judging by the sales. Personally I think it shockin these days.

I gave up on football games an bought NHL '14 as my sports game this year and my god it's good. Plus it has a version of NHL '94. Fantastic.

I'd like to try a new Madden game as I got into American football last year. Might be my 2015 game sports game of choice.

I still remember people who owned the Snes avoiding Fifa like the plague and buying ISS Deluxe instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I still remember people who owned the Snes avoiding Fifa like the plague and buying ISS Deluxe instead.
    Fifa on the snes was horrible. It did have great animation (for the day) but it was all style over substance.

• Advertisement

ISS was the business. It still had that arcadiness that made it so good. Sensi and ISS were so much better than Fifa but Fifa had the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Can we stop calling them 'soccer' games?

FIFA is my go-to game when I want to switch off the brain for a while. I truly believe you get out of it what you put in. There is a wealth of tactical options to tweak which do influence the onscreen play. However, I cannot imagine enjoying the game if I was not a football fan. It really does make a difference as the implications of minor incidents on the pitch have a greater influence on the way you adjust your team during the match. That, along with knowledge of the players and their attributes etc. provide infinite interest which I don't believe would exist if I wasn't a fan of the sport.

I could write paragraphs on why I get so much enjoyment out of it but I won't bore you. I do find it unfair that it gets coupled with COD as the village whore since there is genuine depth to the game if you're willing to look and experiment. FIFA 13 was the high point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pac1Man wrote: »

FIFA is my go-to game when I want to switch off the brain for a while. I truly believe you get out of it what you put in. There is a wealth of tactical options to tweak which do influence the onscreen play. However, I cannot imagine enjoying the game if I was not a football fan. It really does make a difference as the implications of minor incidents on the pitch have a greater influence on the way you adjust your team during the match. That, along with knowledge of the players and their attributes etc. provide infinite interest which I don't believe would exist if I wasn't a fan of the sport.

I could write paragraphs on why I get so much enjoyment out of it but I won't bore you. I do find it unfair that it gets coupled with COD as the village whore since there is genuine depth to the game if you're willing to look and experiment. FIFA 13 was the high point for me.

Can we stop calling them games? :pac:

Can we stop calling them games? :pac:

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I always thought the main gripe people have with FIFA isn't the quality of the game itself but the yearly release with only incremental improvements, basically slapping a new number on the same game and charging €60 for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Pac1Man wrote: »

I am definitely not a football fan but enjoy playing them with other people.

As for the depth I think you'd have to be a Chilean miner to find it. They're all the same to me. Only changes each iteration are improved graphics/animations and slight changes to the laughably generic commentary track.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I enjoy FIFA. Although having bought 11, 12 and 14 I am growing tired of the lack of significant improvement and the ever increasing lean towards micro-transactions (that aren't so micro) in the online modes.

Remouad wrote: »
    I am definitely not a football fan but enjoy playing them with other people.

As for the depth I think you'd have to be a Chilean miner to find it. They're all the same to me. Only changes each iteration are improved graphics/animations and slight changes to the laughably generic commentary track.

There is my point.

Re. the commentary: It's the best you will find. I can't see how you dislike it. PES on the other hand...

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In my defence I've not played it in years.

Borderlands 2 is as funny as dying from cancer. Having characters regurgitate lines from films and internet memes is not comedy.

The humor in Portal 2 is overrated, sometimes feels like a stand-up-comedy sketch. Witty more so that actually funny.

South Park: The Stick of Truth. I pissed myself laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I'm currently playing Borderlands 2. I find the incessant chatter from the NPCs to be *very* annoying especially bandit camps. Although, I suppose it only encourages me to kill the feckers even quicker to shut them up. I much preferred the quieter Borderlands 1.

Advertisement