Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Sensible Soccer ftw.

kick off 2 ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

glasso wrote: »
    kick off 2 ftw.

UEFA Street Leauge. Fúckin abomination...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Mobile and handheld gaming is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

C14N wrote: »

I feel like that is the equivalent to the earlier statement that all indie games are crap. I had some great experiences on my DS and PSP (the former more than the latter) in recent times and as a kid I played the original gameboy like nobodies business. Mobile gaming does have its gems, it just there is a lot of crap out there and you do have to wade through the crap which is a wast of time, however with so many games available, declaring all a waste of time seems a bit unfair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Totally disagree. Some of the best, diverse and original games at the moment are coming out on handhelds and mobile. In fact I'd take my handhelds over the PS3 and 360 any day. Mobile gaming also has a wealth of great gaming experiences once you filter out the free to play crap.

• Advertisement

You couldn't be more wrong. The 3DS is the best gaming platform of the past/current generation and features more standout must play games than any other. The Vita is quickly catching up and has since launch, been the home of some exceptional titles, Persona 4, Gravity Rush, Ys, etc.

Ah well, this is why I didn't try to qualify it. I was trying not to be too diplomatic though. Really, what I should have said is "I have no interest in handheld or mobile gaming". Haven't gone near it in years, except for briefly getting whatever the newest mobile craze is and then deleting it shortly after. Something about playing on a small screen always just turns me off it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

99% OF MOBILE Games - I agree.

Handheld - feck no!

Handhelds have some of the most awesome games ever. Nothing beats playing some monster hunter in bed while misses watches some shiete on TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Tried given both of these games a real go but Mario 3D land and 3D world are very boring games , quite a shame since they are real quality.

Also for unpopluar opinions I did not think Orange box or bayonetta where that bad of ports for the playstation 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mobile gaming is home to some of the most imaginative, groundbreaking and downright enjoyable titles in contemporary gaming. I'm always perplexed why that seems like such a minority opinion, especially when I play games like Monument Valley, Ridiculous Fishing, Threes or Device 6.

• Advertisement

Mobile gaming is home to some of the most imaginative, groundbreaking and downright enjoyable titles in contemporary gaming. I'm always perplexed why that seems like such a minority opinion, especially when I play games like Monument Valley, Ridiculous Fishing, Threes or Device 6.

Just my experience, but I didn't think that was a minority opinion. In fact, I usually keep my own disinterest to myself because it makes me feel like one of those old people whose racism is just too deeply ingrained to change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just my experience, but I didn't think that was a minority opinion. In fact, I usually keep my own disinterest to myself because it makes me feel like one of those old people whose racism is just too deeply ingrained to change.

I'd say a majority of the gaming community have little time for mobile gaming tbh, at least in my experience, even many with an otherwise broad fondness for games of all types and shapes. The various F2P controversies and ****ty popular games out there reinforce that negativity. Which is understandable but a shame IMO, since there's loads of diamonds in the rough.

Handheld gaming, on t'other had, I'd venture you're in a minority :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Totally disagree. Some of the best, diverse and original games at the moment are coming out on handhelds and mobile. In fact I'd take my handhelds over the PS3 and 360 any day. Mobile gaming also has a wealth of great gaming experiences once you filter out the free to play crap.

Please give me some games to play on my mobile because I just can't understand people playing games on them

crybaby wrote: »
    Please give me some games to play on my mobile because I just can't understand people playing games on them

Super Hexagon, Year Walk, Device 6, Spider, Waking Mars, Monument Valley, Ridiculous Fishing, The Room 1 + 2, Threes!, Papa Sangre 2, the Rayman Run games, Space Invaders Infinity Groove, DoDonpachi Maximum, Drop 7 to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The good games are buried under a mountain of Clash of Clans clones, Match 3 clones and similar. There are some superb wargames on the platform but you'd be forgiven for missing them if you didn't follow wargaming sites.

There's a badly askew signal to noise ratio, I don't think anyone could deny that alas :( But for those willing to pay attention to what's attracting positive buzz online will find lots of great stuff :)

Also have to praise the App Store's editor's choice section, they do a good job highlighting a lot of the more interesting games released.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Writing off Mobile gaming is like writing off the wii for having too much shovelware. You don't judge a former for the crap on it but the good stuff, just ignore the crap. There's plenty of really great games on mobile platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Writing off Mobile gaming is like writing off the wii for having too much shovelware. You don't judge a former for the crap on it but the good stuff, just ignore the crap. There's plenty of really great games on mobile platforms.

I've never given mobile gaming much thought at all.

Any recommendations for a good place to start?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Mentioning device helps. :)

nesf wrote: »
    Mentioning device helps. :)

(Ahem...)

Samsung Galaxy S3

(That was a little embarassing!)

• Advertisement

(Ahem...)

Samsung Galaxy S3

(That was a little embarassing!)

Meh, same phone in my pocket. :P

I don't play games on it though.

Johnny_ultimate has given a pretty good list to get started with.

Johnny_ultimate has given a pretty good list to get started with.

How did i miss that? Blimey.

Thanks dudes.

Yeah definitely, given the sales of the 3DS in spite of competition from mobile/tablet gaming. I actually used to like handheld gaming, first console I owned was a GBA and then third was a DS after that. I just sort of found myself losing interest for some reason, there weren't that many games on DS that I really wanted to buy. Maybe it's partly down to peer pressure too, I knew loads of people with DSs but I can't say I know a single person with a 3DS, even though I'm aware its doing well.

I write it off more like those people who dislike the Wii for the Wii remote (even though I like the Wii). Something about getting fingerprints all over a small screen just puts me off the medium completely. My battery life is also pretty poor as it is and playing for about 30 minutes straight can take a huge chunk out of it (usually 25-40%). I have no idea how people get around that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The folk I know have multiple 3DS consoles.
    And the range of titles on it are damn good, by any objective metric.
    The mobile scene is cursed with masses of clones of a smaller number of really impressive games, regardless of platform.
    The particularly handy thing though is most people already own the hardware to play some of these games, and many are free at that.
    Now, if you want to access everything now you'll pay but there's enough good stuff to keep you going for nothing at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And feck you Johnny U, now I'm addicted to Three's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I got a Lumia, are the games on that much use? Hate the limitations of a windows phone btw.
    Not mad into mobile gaming but I barely touch my home consoles now and am glued to my 3DS lately :D

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And feck you Johnny U, now I'm addicted to Three's!

I have designed my own metagame, where the one and only goal is to get people addicted to the virtual heroin that is Threes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say a majority of the gaming community have little time for mobile gaming tbh, at least in my experience, even many with an otherwise broad fondness for games of all types and shapes. The various F2P controversies and ****ty popular games out there reinforce that negativity. Which is understandable but a shame IMO, since there's loads of diamonds in the rough.

I can't deny the controversies and zyngaware have coloured my own personal perception of mobile gaming, but the broader truth for me is that as an interface, mobile gaming is fairly horrible.

Aside from things like battery use issues, I just can't stand touchscreens as a gaming UI; a smudged, greasy screen feels like a singularly unappealing way to play a game. I get over it for texts and browsing as they're fairly passive activities, but gaming? Yuck, no thanks. No idea if its a feeling shared with others mind you...

• Advertisement

Play something like The Room and you'll realise that the game, and it's a nice game at that, is pretty much unplayable with anything other than a touchscreen.
    And as for a grubby screen, no different than a grubby controller, just pause and give it a wipe!!

Advertisement