Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The first two reasons are actually slightly more rational than the second two, although they're still highly irrational.

So you think that it's rational to think that only the big AAA big publisher games can be good and that indie games should all be 99c games off the app store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Big Knox wrote: »
    Sorry man but there's not a thing wrong with the controls in Uncharted or TLOU. It is most definitely you. Also I don't think it's a coincidence you like RDR which has full on auto-aim enabled by default. ;)

I can see where he is coming from. The aiming in uncharted is a bit floaty and isn't helped by the dual shock controller. In fact I remember naughty dog had to patch the controls in 2 and 3. Last of Us is similar although greatly improved. While I don't have a problem with the when you compare te combat to the likes of gears of war or vanquish it doesn't really hold up. I can see how some people wouldn't like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    So you think that it's rational to think that only the big AAA big publisher games can be good and that indie games should all be 99c games off the app store.

I don't think there's ever been a better example of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If it was Bubsy the Squirrel in the lead role perhaps they would be more palatable?

I think replacing one cutesy character with another would hardly solve the issue some people have with Mario games. Some people just don't like the look and presentation of the games and because it's so uniform, they expect all the games to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I dislike Indie games, not because they're not $100m games or the stupid notion that they're just shovel-ware off the various app stores but because of the name "indie" and the attention of the pretentious gaming hipsters who are so far up their own asses most of the time.
    The first two reasons are actually slightly more rational than the second two, although they're still highly irrational.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't think there's ever been a better example of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

And yours is a great example of jumping in at the end and not knowing what you're on about.

I made 3 point, 2 of which aren't legitimate reasons and 1 is my reason for disliking the title of indie.

• Advertisement

I think replacing one cutesy character with another would hardly solve the issue some people have with Mario games. Some people just don't like the look and presentation of the games and because it's so uniform, they expect all the games to be the same.

When some one tells me they don't like mario but crash bandicoot is great they can feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

dreamers75 wrote: »
    my unpopular opinion is I dont like Unchartered or The Last of Us simply because the controls in 3rd person are stupid. RDR and GOW manage to make 3rd person shooting and fighting reasonably playable but UN and TLOU somehow dont make it work.

Ass Creed is another game with stupid controls in 3rd person, I find I adapt to them and play them regardless but still annoys me that some companies that make only 3rd person games dont get the control system right.

In TLOU the part in the hospital where you switch something and ****loads of things come at you, decent control system and I can take them......nope.....run run like ****.

Uncharted oh look there are some well placed cover bunkers in front of me.....will spend the next 20 minutes trying to headshot someone 200 yards away.

Ass creed i want to stab just one person but the game decides i need to fight 7 guys or parappa the rapper.......press the button at the right time.....NOT HIM..... THE OTHER GUY....**** sake... X X X X X X A X X XX another Ass creed moment " you have to race X to this roof" falls off roof for no apparent reason.

Maybe you're just not a controller person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Pac1Man wrote: »
    They shouldn't really be looked at as FPS games though, even though they are.

Why not? People go on about their stories and environments, and while I think they are good (the environments are very creative and visually very pleasing), but at the end of the day it is an FPS game and it's a pretty average one, the core gameplay mechanic just doesn't feel right to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was simply being facetious.
    But it was simply illustrate the idea that one should assume a game with Mario in the title is the same as all the other games with Mario in the title, which they're not. And that's not my opinion, it's a statement of fact, as my post also illustrated.
    That said, there is hope when he enjoyed Mario Galaxy, I would urge him, and all others who haven't tried it, to play the even better Super Mario Galaxy 2.
    Also Mario 3D World is superb stuff.

If you are completely turned off by anything except realistic military /paramilitary adventures such as Uncharted and COD, you have my pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I dislike Indie games, not because they're not $100m games or the stupid notion that they're just shovel-ware off the various app stores but because of the name "indie" and the attention of the pretentious gaming hipsters who are so far up their own asses most of the time.

I can see how you would not like "Indie" games because the hype, attention and reputation this corner of gaming has in the past few years. I personally try to ignore the whole "indie" tag line and just see it as the difference if it has a big publisher or not. I judge a game by its own merit if its good or not. I wouldn't recommend dismissing a game just because its "indie" or even if "gaming hipsters" are pushing it. You would miss out on a few gems that would be something you're specifically into. I think that's one of the interesting things about "indie" games. There are niche games or very specific genre or mish-mash of genres that could be just the game you want. If you want to be space ship captain/manager, border passport officer, a samurai wandering a steam punk dessert, or solve a mystery with just the BBS GUI there probably is a game for you. It could also open and broaden your interesting in other genres too that you never expect.

As a big lover of gaming, I am very excited to ever growing broadness and variety of "indie" games. There is a load of trash out there, I'd say there is 1:30 ratio of good games, but that's the price of variety. Avoid all these "gaming hipster" and Youtube personalities, make your own choice and form your own opinion, don't let them hinder your gaming experience.

This is not just directed at you, but as my open statement of my view on "indie" games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the PS3 controller is better than the 360 one, there I said it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

krudler wrote: »

and you can keep saying it as you gtfo of here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Benzino wrote: »
    Why not? People go on about their stories and environments, and while I think they are good (the environments are very creative and visually very pleasing), but at the end of the day it is an FPS game and it's a pretty average one, the core gameplay mechanic just doesn't feel right to me.

I half agree with you about the gameplay but at the time of release I think the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. I feel the same about The Last of Us and Spec Ops. Not the greatest third person games by any stretch but again they offered more than you would initially think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

and you can keep saying it as you gtfo of here!
    I agree with krudler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

krudler wrote: »

The difference is negligible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

360 controller is in an entirely different league to the PS3's for me ergonomically speaking. Started out on the PS3 because we'd had a well loved PS2 but more than an hour of constant play left me with bad hand cramps. Brother's friend brought over his 360 one day and it was like slipping on a tailored glove.
    Angron wrote: »
    I agree with krudler.

Once a heretic always a heretic I suppose. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

PS3 controller is good for platformers and fighting games due to vastly superior D-pad.

360 controller is good for FPS and Driving games due to proper Triggers.

Tldr version:

Ps3 for D-pad, 360 for triggers, both not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

360 Controller > PS3 Controller

X1 Controller > PS4 Controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

PS4 controller > PS3 controller

Xbox360 controller > XBone controller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

sarumite wrote: »
    PS4 controller > PS3 controller

Xbox360 controller > XBone controller

i find the X! controller to be better than the 360 solely down to the fact my fingers rest naturally on the shoulder buttons which the 360 controller felt uncomfortable to me in that regard

d pad is also 100 times better oon the X1 cont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Prefer the sticks and dpad on the One but hate the LB and RB buttons, also the One controller feels like it will fall apart if dropped or you hold it too tight turning tense moments :(

PS3 controller is good for platformers and fighting games due to vastly superior D-pad.

The d-pad might be better but it's still a load of crap. It's like saying one turd is better than he other because it hasn't gone mouldy yet. I'm off to caress my Saturn 6 button controllers d-pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The d-pad might be better but it's still a load of crap. It's like saying one turd is better than he other because it hasn't gone mouldy yet. I'm off to caress my Saturn 6 button controllers d-pad.

Eeeeeeewwwwwwwww spare us the sordid details :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

360 controller is good for FPS and Driving games due to proper Triggers.

Tldr version:

Ps3 for D-pad, 360 for triggers, both not perfect.

Leaving aside that the dpad on the ps3 is as awful as they come, the PS3/4 left stick being in the wrong place is the biggest issue. Much more important than anything else. It's just not ergonomic at all.

Its the product of an older era where the dpad was the primary method of movement. It hasn't been so in fifteen years. Sony are just being stubborn at this point. Every game uses the stick. Put it in the correct place please.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kirby wrote: »
    Leaving aside that the dpad on the ps3 is as awful as they come, the PS3/4 left stick being in the wrong place is the biggest issue. Much more important than anything else. It's just not ergonomic at all.

Its the product of an older era where the dpad was the primary method of movement. It hasn't been so in fifteen years. Sony are just being stubborn at this point. Every game uses the stick. Put it in the correct place please.

I think it's time to compare like for like. Maybe ps3 dpad is not as good as someone's ultra speed cock 3000 stick with 87 positions and 7 penetration levels, but compared to 360 Thing ( I can't even call it dpad) its a very decent dpad.
    I tried playing fighting game on 360 controller while not drunk. Controller ended up in the wall above TV.

As for position of thumbstick. I don't know about correct position, but I understand that some people have preferences. I use 360 pad on pc and I had no problem using ps3 controller. I am not even talking about great ps4 controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I spent much of the last gen loving the 360 controller but in the last 2 years I'm buying more and more games for the PS3 specifically for the controller, it's more adaptable to more games, with the triggers on the 360 pad feeling off on anything that isn't a racing game.

That said, a controller for the appropriate game, so I have a couple of arcade sticks for the PS3/360 for Fighting and Shmups, on the PS2/3 I have a GT Force wheel and the regular controllers fit most other things.

I haven't spent any time of note with the PS4/XB1 controllers though in the short spell I had with the XB1 controller I found the rumble in the triggers weird.

At least neither revisits the horror that was the Sixaxis.... shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Always prefered the PS3 controller too. Kinda of strange since i've big hands, just think the sticks are much better than the 360 ones. Either way.... M+K ****s on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Magill wrote: »
    Always prefered the PS3 controller too. Kinda of strange since i've big hands, just think the sticks are much better than the 360 ones. Either way.... M+K ****s on both.

the internals of the ps3 sticks are better than the 360 iirc

I find only tekken and mortal Kombat work on the ps3 controller. Capcom and snk games and anything else are a total disaster and unplayable for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you are completely turned off by anything except realistic military /paramilitary adventures such as Uncharted and COD, you have my pity.

That's just silly. If somebody only likes those types of games, what difference does it make to you? It'd be like someone saying to you that they pity you because you don't like folk and free jazz. I try to vary what I play as much as possible but I understand some people like to play just one or two types of games. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's not like they're sitting in my living room forcing me to play those games.

I'm going to use free jazz as an analogy for Nintendo 1st party games, let's say I wasn't terribly interested in it but I might pick up a CD to have a listen only to be told I'd need to buy a specific stereo to play those CDs, I'd more than likely pass. Sure, the free jazz stereo will play some other genres of music, but I've already got a stereo to play them.

Advertisement