Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to disagree. Writing off first party Nintendo games is as dumb as saying you don't like indie titles. You're totally dismissing a huge variety of games and genres off hand because of some negative discrimination you've built into your own head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think rayman origins is ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I have to disagree. Writing off first party Nintendo games is as dumb as saying you don't like indie titles. You're totally dismissing a huge variety of games and genres off hand because of some negative discrimination you've built into your own head.

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time explaining to my bank balance why I'm buying a raft of different consoles merely to play a handful of bespoke games on each. I don't have the space for a start. I see it as their loss not mine - plenty of other companies making plenty of cross-console games of all genres. I don't miss never having played a Mario or Zelda game. I don't hate them, I just don't care about games I have to buy a brand new console just to play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time explaining to my bank balance why I'm buying a raft of different consoles merely to play a handful of bespoke games on each. I don't have the space for a start. I see it as their loss not mine - plenty of other companies making plenty of cross-console games of all genres. I don't miss never having played a Mario or Zelda game. I don't hate them, I just don't care about games I have to buy a brand new console just to play them.

This is pretty much why I haven't had a console in years. I cannot justify forking a couple of hundred for something purely for gaming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's not really what I was talking about though. I wasn't talking about the cost issue at all which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

That's not really what I was talking about though. I wasn't talking about the cost issue at all which is fair enough.

Cost and convenience. I don't want to be faffing about setting up different consoles all the time. It's more that I think single-console games are an outdated business model belonging to the dawn of computer gaming. Mario isn't my thing but I'd happily buy a ported version of a Zelda game for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's just silly. If somebody only likes those types of games, what difference does it make to you? It'd be like someone saying to you that they pity you because you don't like folk and free jazz. I try to vary what I play as much as possible but I understand some people like to play just one or two types of games. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's not like they're sitting in my living room forcing me to play those games.

I'm going to use free jazz as an analogy for Nintendo 1st party games, let's say I wasn't terribly interested in it but I might pick up a CD to have a listen only to be told I'd need to buy a specific stereo to play those CDs, I'd more than likely pass. Sure, the free jazz stereo will play some other genres of music, but I've already got a stereo to play them.

?
    All I was saying, and apologies for not being clearer, is that it is an unfortunate state of mind to take a blanket view of Nintendo's output and say they are not for me, I don't like Nintendo games.

It's just as odd a position to take as saying "I don't like Microsoft games" or "I don't like games made by Sony".

Now, not liking a genre is more defencible, I for example don't like Strategic RPGS like Disgea or most turn based games for that matter.
    I know this is self limiting and there are a great many excellent titles out there, lauded by many, and I am probably missing out but there you go.

Anyways, no problems, I don't take it personally.
    You don't like them.
    This is an unpopular opinions thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I never wrote anything off as dumb. I can understand the appeal they have for many people but I also know they can be the gaming equivalent of marmite for others. If people love Nintendo games, bully for them. If they like CoD, fair play. What somebody else likes or doesn't like makes no difference when I sit down to try and ignore my kids and play some games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never wrote anything off as dumb. I can understand the appeal they have for many people but I also know they can be the gaming equivalent of marmite for others. If people love Nintendo games, bully for them. If they like CoD, fair play. What somebody else likes or doesn't like makes no difference when I sit down to try and ignore my kids and play some games.

There,
    I knew we'd find some common ground.
    Unfortunately my son is better at games than I am :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There,
    I knew we'd find some common ground.
    Unfortunately my son is better at games than I am :(

What happened to Super Mario Galaxy for me is that the daughter would play it and then ask me to help her when she got stuck on a tricky part. I honestly think she's being psychologically damaged by seeing me frothing like a rabid dog, screaming expletives at the telly and howling in frustration when trying to get through those parts for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Dwarf Fortress is the best game ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I still can't Understand the stubbornness of nintendo fans over people who don't like or don't care about Nintendo first party franchises.
    We all like games for different reasons and we all have different tastes and needs in gaming.

I can play a game with average or just functional gameplay if story, characters or artwork is very good. Now nintendo franchise characters are developed and interesting as a wet carrot. I don't give a **** that Mario is in so many genres, he is still generic and most bland, with no characteristics features character in a history of gaming. Link is the same or even worse.

I personally would be one of those people, who just don't care and could not give a **** about Nintendo first party stuff, I don't hate it. If you like it, good luck to you.
    On top of that, I would need to buy a console for 250eu to even play that stuff. **** that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I still can't Understand the stubbornness of nintendo fans over people who don't like or don't care about Nintendo first party franchises.
    We all like games for different reasons and we all have different tastes and needs in gaming.

I can play a game with average or just functional gameplay if story, characters or artwork is very good. Now nintendo franchise characters are developed and interesting as a wet carrot. I don't give a **** that Mario is in so many genres, he is still generic and most bland, with no characteristics features character in a history of gaming. Link is the same or even worse.

I personally would be one of those people, who just don't care and could not give a **** about Nintendo first party stuff, I don't hate it. If you like it, good luck to you.
    On top of that, I would need to buy a console for 250eu to even play that stuff. **** that.

i guess that's kinda like how everyone else feels when pc gamers get on their high horses

i guess that's kinda like how everyone else feels when pc gamers get on their high horses

There is a lot more of high horse calling about pc gamers by console gamers, then there are actual high horse incidents. And that's a fact.

Well it's more annoyance when people ignorant of those games stuff like this as fact.

Link has no personality? He's a cypher for the player so of course he is. However the world around him and characters are filled with charm personality and wonder.

As for mario being a bland character? What are you expecting, teenage melodrama and conflict? Ario games just need to be fun to play and they excel at that. Anyway if you want the mario universe where the characters have personality and there's conflict then there's always the RPG series of ario games which have some brilliant characters, including all the usual ario favourites and are some of the funniest games since lucasarts stopped making point and click games.

And mario games having bad artwork? No, just no. Super mario 3d world is probably the best looking game out at the moment.

Sure if they aren't for you then you can keep ignoring them but just don't tell us how bland and dull they are when you've really got very little experience of them. Don't be surprised when people tell you that you're wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is a lot more of high horse calling about pc gamers by console gamers, then there are actual high horse incidents. And that's a fact.

The six million results I get when I google "PC Master Race" would like to contest the veracity of this statement.

Well it's more annoyance when people ignorant of those games stuff like this as fact.

Link has no personality? He's a cypher for the player so of course he is. However the world around him and characters are filled with charm personality and wonder.

As for mario being a bland character? What are you expecting, teenage melodrama and conflict? Ario games just need to be fun to play and they excel at that. Anyway if you want the mario universe where the characters have personality and there's conflict then there's always the RPG series of ario games which have some brilliant characters, including all the usual ario favourites and are some of the funniest games since lucasarts stopped making point and click games.

And mario games having bad artwork? No, just no. Super mario 3d world is probably the best looking game out at the moment.

Sure if they aren't for you then you can keep ignoring them but just don't tell us how bland and dull they are when you've really got very little experience of them. Don't be surprised when people tell you that you're wrong.

I said it before, we like games for different reasons. I don't like art work in of any Mario game, I don't say it it's bad.
    Come one now, Zelda and Mario characters,are both bland as ****. Nintendo can't give them personality for the fear to piss off some part of fanbase. In fact yatzee had a very good bit about it in one of his reviews. Luigi has more personality and is a lot more interesting character then link and Mario put together.
    Charm? What you find charming I find meh. Same way what is charming for me will be meh to you. So again, I don't get it, why on earth it is an issue if there are people who just don't give a ****.
    Nintendo games have good gameplay in games, but there is nothing interesting for me in it.
    Same way how you did not liked Heavenly sword, but I found it to be a very good game ( for me!!!). I completely understand that other might not like it, fair enough, but why nintendo fans can't understand the same thing about Nintendo games.
    Now I liked fire emblem on 3ds ( that was first party? Right? I honestly can't remember 100%)., but it is extremely different from all of the usual nintendo catalog.

The six million results I get when I google "PC Master Race" would like to contest the veracity of this statement.

And? It's a meme like any others, Google any meme and you will get millions of entries.
    A meme which is used by everyone, including console gamers is indication of what?
    I think you tried to say something smart, but it did not really punched as you expected.

*Expecting 8 paragraph answer now. My god, what have I done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hsianloon

Assassin's Creed. Dont know how the franchise got so big. Jump off a tall building, kill 10 people in the middle of a crowd, put your cloak on and everyone is perplexed by how you vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Put butt hurt in to google,that also produces a few million results:pac:

• Advertisement

Come one now, Zelda and Mario characters,are both bland as ****. Nintendo can't give them personality for the fear to piss off some part of fanbase. In fact yatzee had a very good bit about it in one of his reviews. Luigi has more personality and is a lot more interesting character then link and Mario put together.

They don't need personality though. Look what happened to sonic when they tried that, it was a disaster. He's only become interesting in colours and generations because he is actively taking the piss out of himself. Who needs a character with personality if the gameplay is good?

Again with link. He's a cypher for the player. If he had a personality then that form of narrative would breakdown
    Now I liked fire emblem on 3ds ( that was first party? Right? I honestly can't remember 100%)., but it is extremely different from all of the usual nintendo catalog.

Yes, it's one of nintendo's oldest franchises. It's only a drop in the ocean that goes to show the sheer diversity of gameplay styles and genres that Nintendo games represent. It's why I'm saying dismissing all of nintendo's output is a dumb and ignorant thing to do. It would be akin to me saying naughty dog games aren't for me and therefore I won't play last of us or uncharted because rings of power and way of the warrior were terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

To me Borderlands 2 is one of the greatest games ever made and there are thousands who will queue up to point and laugh at me over that statement, and more so when I say Mario Galaxy bored me to tears, its all a mater of taste, one mans trash and all that.

I do think its wrong to write off something with out having played it, if you have played it you are entitled to an opinion on it but again one mans trash etc

Yes it's annoying but I find that the majority of the instigators of those arguments are usually console only users spouting off about stuff they have no idea about.

So Mario is bland...
    As opposed to?
    Nathan Drake?
    Soap in COD?
    Or any of the other cookie cutter copies of movie tropes we see in modern gaming?
    Mario has become familiar more than anything, and that's because the character has been around a very long time.
    Does this give reason to dismiss the games he appears in?
    Nope.
    And, to be fair now, it seems to be others getting all emotional about the Nintendo topic, again.
    You don't have to be a Ninty fanboy to enjoy their output, as liking Fire Emblem is proof of.

You reading some sort of committee decision to keep Mario as is, that's not strictly true, beyond Nintendo maintaining control of their central mascot for quality reasons.
    The character may look the same but his function and how he plays is as varied as the games he has appeared in, far more so that Lara Croft, the aforementioned Drake and any on of the dozens of guntoting men and women who feature mostly as a pair of hands in any FPS you care to mention.

Yes, each to their own, but it does not bode well to dislike a companies output so much, when you haven't played the games you are so critical of.
    For all you know Super Mario 3D World could be the game your life is waiting for!
    But I acknowledge you don't want to spend €250 for a console with a single game.
    That said the price is likely to fall, but I think it was established before there really isn't a price point you'd buy a WiiU at regardless.

Just remember, if it wasn't for mario 64 tomb raider controls might have been the norm for 3D games for a long time. *shudder*

They don't need personality though. Look what happened to sonic when they tried that, it was a disaster. He's only become interesting in colours and generations because he is actively taking the piss out of himself. Who needs a character with personality if the gameplay is good?

Again with link. He's a cypher for the player. If he had a personality then that form of narrative would breakdown

Yes, it's one of nintendo's oldest franchises. It's only a drop in the ocean that goes to show the sheer diversity of gameplay styles and genres that Nintendo games represent. It's why I'm saying dismissing all of nintendo's output is a dumb and ignorant thing to do. It would be akin to me saying naughty dog games aren't for me and therefore I won't play last of us or uncharted because rings of power and way of the warrior were terrible.

I liked ( not fell in love with or had a raging boner ) one franchise from Nintendo, which is surprisingly is the least milked ( opening another can of worms lol ) franchise, but that does not mean I love Nintendo first party stuff. to be more pedantic I can say: I dont like MAIN nintendo franchises, because they dont offer me anything that I am interested in. I dont care about it and I am not saying that Nintendo has to cater to my needs now. I perfectly understand there are people who loved those games and Nintendo should keep making them. It will be a sad day in gaming world if Nintendo will try to go "mainstream" to cater to all gamers, like some of the big publishers did lately and killed fantastic franchises.
    I have 3ds and I really love that little machine. I have already bought it twice ( original 3ds and 3ds XL ). I have only one Main first party title on it from Nintendo. Its Ocorina of time. By most fans it is always pushed as one of the best, if not best Zelda titles. I played, I honestly tried to give it a chance, but I just could not get in to it. It is not a game for me.
    I am not being closed minded and most likely I will give Luigi mansion a blast, when I can get it for a cheaper price, because that is a game that really looks interesting. ( I still got games in a wrapper that I dont have time to get to )

As for Wii U. There is only one game that interest me - Monster Hunter 3 ultimate. I almost bought Wii U just because wii u version has online multiplayer. Monster Hunter 4 is not even coming to wii U now and 3ds version will have full online, I would buy wii U for MH4 alone. Nothing from wii U games that coming in a near future interest me.
    Same way why I still did not got myself xbox one and I planed on getting it for my Birthday. The only franchise that I LOVED from MS was Forza. they completely ****ed up Forza on xbox one, and that was the game that would make me buy a whole damn console. To make it worse Xbox one will never let g27 to be used with Xbox one too. Its hard to go back playing racing sims with controller.

Ciderman: Nathon Drake is not the most advanced character and it should not appeal to everyone, but Drake has a lot more personality then Mario, like him as persona or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And? It's a meme like any others, Google any meme and you will get millions of entries.
    A meme which is used by everyone, including console gamers is indication of what?
    I think you tried to say something smart, but it did not really punched as you expected.

*Expecting 8 paragraph answer now. My god, what have I done!

I hate to disappoint you with the short reply (and please stop bringing that up - I wouldn't tolerate that level of goading against any other user), but frankly hardware militants in all their forms are such inherently irrational creatures that I increasingly consider it a waste of time to engage with arguments about which ones are 'worse'. Suffice to say, they are all as bad and impossible to engage with as each other, and, crucially, there is no shortage of any of them.

Except the fabled CDi obsessive a, who are are an endangered and almost admirably committed race of lunatics.

I hate to disappoint you with the short reply (and please stop bringing that up - I wouldn't tolerate that level of goading against any other user), but frankly hardware militants in all their forms are such inherently irrational creatures that I increasingly consider it a waste of time to engage with arguments about which ones are 'worse'. Suffice to say, they are all as bad and impossible to engage with as each other, and, crucially, there is no shortage of any of them.

Except the fabled CDi obsessive a, who are are an endangered and almost admirably committed race of lunatics.

So all sides have their own share of idiots. Which is a very fair point and anyone who has at least half a brain and not a blind fanboy will know it.

You still brought it up with your "googling" comment ( which was honestly was bad ) that Pc gamers are actually worse. So you still engaged in argument.
    And if I understand correct, you calling me a hardware militant? :confused: ( if not in direct form )

gamelon_disk_460.jpg

Should be all locked up if you ask me.
    And I can make that happen...
    Saint%20Itas%20Hospital,%20Portrane%2003%20-%20New%20Lunatic%20Asylum.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dafuq.... Link is a total badass Shadow.... how dare you call him "bland"... ya son of bitch ! :D

Advertisement