Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

folan wrote: »
    Zelda games are rubbish

That signature is quite apt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can't be bothered, just search for the last dozen people who said it and read what the counter arguments were.

Also, I'm assuming your frustrated the use of the same stock characters in Nintendo games.
    Not sure because first you u say they were games then say people are "circlejerking" about them now...
    What?

I can assume that you feel the same about the other franchises being constantly reused, Assassins Creed, Batman, Uncharted, MoH, COD, Gears of War, God of War.
    A bunch of soulless reheats by your logic, yes?

Ha, a chance to use one of my favourite sayings.

"To assume is to make an ASS out of U and me."

Its not the same stock characters that bothers me, its the insane circlejerking about these games that gets to me.

Examples being, on reddit. Someone posts a picture of a mario lunch box day "Just found this, DAE remember Mario ?" and it gets frontpaged while proper gaming discussions and worthwhile content are lost to downvotes from people who cant read the original post properly. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Unpopular Gaming Opinion thread. Where your opinion is WRONG. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

miju wrote: »
    Well assuming his gamertag is ShadowHearth04 then it's a pretty damn fair assumption :p

I go as MadCowNipple in BF4 and yes, I am casual gamer with 90h on PC and barely 15h on PS4.

I dont really understand the casual and competitive gamer point with a 500h and refund m8. I am not being smart about it, just honestly, I dont get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Calling someone a casual gamer as a derogation statement is not on, ShadowHearth may not have the same taste in games as I do but I think he deserves a little more respect than that.
    Perhaps miju you could choose your words a little more carefully?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i took it as miju just making the distinction between competetive hardkoer esports and 'spose ill fire up this game for an hour or two tonight'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Calling someone a casual gamer as a derogation statement is not on, ShadowHearth may not have the same taste in games as I do but I think he deserves a little more respect than that.

Get your calm level headed diplomatic nonsense off my forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

"E-sports"

lol

On Topic : Lego Games are all the same game...

:-)

Its cool man, I dont see it as "insult" or anything. Plus Casual and Competitive ( hardcore ) gamer is another huge can of worms lol.
    In BF4 case I would call myself a very casual gamer. I only pop in to it to shoot some stuff for fun now and then. I rarely play 2 full map rotations unless I play with lads over Vent. Even then we just do stupid stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

No I chose my words correctly, it's not my fault if you took it up as a derogation because I certainly didnt mean it like that.

How else would you differentiate between someone who is a casual gamer (plays for fun) and someone who is competitive (plays in leagues)??
    In BF4 case I would call myself a very casual gamer. I only pop in to it to shoot some stuff for fun now and then. I rarely play 2 full map rotations unless I play with lads over Vent. Even then we just do stupid stuff.

Thats what I've been trying to get at buddy, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum so your not going to see my point and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fieldog wrote: »
    "E-sports"

lol

On Topic : Lego Games are all the same game...

:-)

Every time I play one of them I feel like I've hit a glitch in the Matrix. Same game every single time.

• Advertisement

Every time I play one of them I feel like I've hit a glitch in the Matrix. Same game every single time.

My kids play them, the cycle goes like this :

Monday : Mammy the new Lego game is out on Friday, can we get it if we are good and do all our homework on time this week?

Mam : we will see

Friday : come home with new Lego game at 4PM, co op til 9pm

Saturday morning : Game finished, still collecting characters throughout

Sunday : All characters found, can we trade this Mam and keep credit for new Lego game in 3 months time...

Must be a goldmine to Lego....

No I chose my words correctly, it's not my fault if you took it up as a derogation because I certainly didnt mean it like that.

How else would you differentiate between someone who is a casual gamer (plays for fun) and someone who is competitive (plays in leagues)??

Thats what I've been trying to get at buddy, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum so your not going to see my point and vice versa

Out of curiosity, is it possible to be a competitive gamer and have a full-time job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm curious, what is wrong with this?

Benzino wrote: »

An orange ghost poked him vigorously with a broom stick…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id agree with miju on BF4,i believe the guys who have put in the most hours must be the most frustrated by it so deserve the refund most

Id say a lot of people just dont notice things like bad hit detection,bad netcode,revivable body invisible shields,bad server tick rate......i could go on but thats enough. Ignorance is bliss,but people who are really into there fps games will notice it and it gets frustrating. Im playing a lot of Arma3 lately and honestly imo on a decent server with low ping the hit detection is way more consistent than on BF4 for me which is crazy

Out of the 5 friends i have playing it on PS4 only one other guy has noticed there is something wrong. The rest thought it was perfect except for the rubber banding which they just dismissed as lag.

TL;DR
    I think the hardcore fans are more entitled to a refund than the casual gamer,and im not directing the casual thing at anybody here,just using it as reference. Im gonna hold onto the game and premium(PC and PS4) as its the only game i have on PS4 and am really interested in on PS4 till i can get Diablo 3,Destiny,Planetside 2 or The Division. Also its the only game me and my mates all have

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Benzino wrote: »

At about 12 seconds in you see I reloaded and the reload animation and sound players but look down the bottom right hand corner to see how many bullets are in my mag, I didn't notice until I started firing my gun.

I wont post the Urban Dictionary definition because that is derogaratory

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id agree with miju on BF4,i believe the guys who have put in the most hours must be the most frustrated by it so deserve the refund most

Id say a lot of people just dont notice things like bad hit detection,bad netcode,revivable body invisible shields,bad server tick rate......i could go on but thats enough. Ignorance is bliss,but people who are really into there fps games will notice it and it gets frustrating. Im playing a lot of Arma3 lately and honestly imo on a decent server with low ping the hit detection is way more consistent than on BF4 for me which is crazy

Out of the 5 friends i have playing it on PS4 only one other guy has noticed there is something wrong. The rest thought it was perfect except for the rubber banding which they just dismissed as lag.

TL;DR
    I think the hardcore fans are more entitled to a refund than the casual gamer,and im not directing the casual thing at anybody here,just using it as reference. Im gonna hold onto the game and premium(PC and PS4) as its the only game i have on PS4 and am really interested in on PS4 till i can get Diablo 3,Destiny,Planetside 2 or The Division. Also its the only game me and my mates all have

I don't agree with getting a refund on something that nearly 500 hours have been ploughed into - personally and morally I would have an issue....

I don't think it boils down to casual or hardcore gamer either tbh...

Yes the game was sold broken, I like most bought a PS4 to play the game, I had "only" put in 80 hours up til April 24th or so due to the mess that the game was in...

I have only passed the 100 hour mark in BF4 the other day, but that was due to the game not functioning as intended until April 24th - the day the PS4 version started working to BF3 standard.... (IMO)

Since then I've racked up more hours in the last 2 weeks then literally the whole games time as I'm having that much fun... (the fun I expected in November)

I personally don't agree with hounding MS for refunds on a game that I would have put 480 hours into , but each to their own... and don't try to tell me e-sports - I'd understand if it was CS:Go, but BFs netcode is drivel to be even attempting to play competitively...

I'm not working for MS anymore so I certainly ain't sticking up for them.... nor would I have if I was still working there....

I couldn't believe Miju posted that on the forums on here, thought it was a bit ****ty tbh...

By the way that isn't a refund for Premium/The Game - that's an accidental purchase refund you got - mainly used for kids buying games on adult accounts, hope none of the nippers rack up a few purchases on your cc, or it will be no refunds for you... :-)

Hope they remove the licences from all your Xbones soon....

• folan wrote: »
    Zelda games are rubbish
    Actually agree, tried to get into them so many times. N64, Gamecube, Snes, Gameboy.

Even remember from the original Gameboy it was a chore, I was 10 hours into it. Hated the repetitive aspect of walking into a room, killing the guys and then walk out of the room. 5 mins later there all there again.

Or having to chop every bloody bush over and over again.

• Advertisement

Gods, but the Legend of Zelda games, to me, are wonderful.
    Mind you, I haven't finished many of them :(

If the Nintendo brand puts you off I would recommend the likes of Okami on the PS2/Wii/PS3 with a sequel on the DS, it has many similarities but is quite beautiful whatever version you purchase.
    Mark of Kri is another one, on the PS2.
    Beyond Good and Evil on the GC, Xbox and PS2, with a HD remaster on PSN and XBLA, well worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

At about 12 seconds in you see I reloaded and the reload animation and sound players but look down the bottom right hand corner to see how many bullets are in my mag, I didn't notice until I started firing my gun.

That's pretty bad alright. I hoped you logged a bug report to them with the video, that'd be a great help to them.

I wont post the Urban Dictionary definition because that is derogaratory

Most of us here play games for fun.
    Few of us would consider ourselves "casual" though, unless something has happened and no one has told me, or anyone else here about it, it hasn't, has it?
    Can someone look out a window and check if "casual gamer" has changed? ;)
    Just had a look at the Urban Dictionary definition and they seem to have a selection to choose from.
    I'm not sure I'm hardcore gamer, but I'm sure as hell not what that is describing.
    Casual Gamer Definition

Most of us here play games for fun.
    Few of us would consider ourselves "casual" though, unless something has happened and no one has told me, or anyone else here about it, it hasn't, has it?
    Can someone look out a window and check if "casual gamer" has changed? ;)
    Just had a look at the Urban Dictionary definition and they seem to have a selection to choose from.
    I'm not sure I'm hardcore gamer, but I'm sure as hell not what that is describing.
    Casual Gamer Definition

same website, casual game discription:

Casual games are any kind of game that is over hyped and over rated or just the exactly same thing as a previous version that was over hyped and over rated, these games are known by gamers as "crap" because even with all the perfect scores the games still have mediocre graphics and ****ty plots that casual gamers think are good. Usually the only thing that makes a casual game not-total **** is the multiplayer, otherwise these games would get ratings lower than dirt.
    With ****ty graphics and a generally horrible campaign mode, the halo series is the indisputable king of casual games.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What I don't understand is people telling me they hate zelda but like Darksiders or some other game that totally rips off the zelda template.

Arkham Asylum is another one that does so to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I personally don't agree with hounding MS for refunds on a game that I would have put 480 hours into , but each to their own... and don't try to tell me e-sports - I'd understand if it was CS:Go, but BFs netcode is drivel to be even attempting to play competitively...

How does competitive BF even work ?? Sounds ridiculous ! Competitive gaming on console in general is a bit of a joke imo (Unpopular opinion ?), theres just no way these games are suitable in their vanilla states. The only reason CoD4 ever got a decent amount of exposure to competitive gaming is because of promod where modders changed half the damn game !

Magill wrote: »
    How does competitive BF even work ?? Sounds ridiculous ! Competitive gaming on console in general is a bit of a joke imo (Unpopular opinion ?), theres just no way these games are suitable in their vanilla states. The only reason CoD4 ever got a decent amount of exposure to competitive gaming is because of promod where modders changed half the damn game !

I honestly felt like that when I heard "competitive BF4 gaming"

nicholascagelaughingreallyhard-1.gif

I fisrt time heard about it a week ago from Levelcap. He just said that one gun was banned in competitive league or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I don't agree with getting a refund on something that nearly 500 hours have been ploughed into - personally and morally I would have an issue....

I don't think it boils down to casual or hardcore gamer either tbh...

Yes the game was sold broken, I like most bought a PS4 to play the game, I had "only" put in 80 hours up til April 24th or so due to the mess that the game was in...

I have only passed the 100 hour mark in BF4 the other day, but that was due to the game not functioning as intended until April 24th - the day the PS4 version started working to BF3 standard.... (IMO)

Since then I've racked up more hours in the last 2 weeks then literally the whole games time as I'm having that much fun... (the fun I expected in November)

I'm not working for MS anymore so I certainly ain't sticking up for them.... nor would I have if I was still working there....

I couldn't believe Miju posted that on the forums on here, thought it was a bit ****ty tbh...

By the way that isn't a refund for Premium/The Game - that's an accidental purchase refund you got - mainly used for kids buying games on adult accounts, hope none of the nippers rack up a few purchases on your cc, or it will be no refunds for you... :-)

Hope they remove the licences from all your Xbones soon....

I can respect your opinion but as ive stated id have to disagree with it.

I logged about 100 hours in the first 2-3 months of owning the game and only jump on when my friends are on now as that first few months was so bad i simply could not play it without getting totally frustrated. Since then ive probably only added another 20-30 hours on top of that. Im going to hold onto the game,as it has in the last month improved quite a bit on PS4 anyway. But it will always be some what tainted for me.

I dont think any player can be blamed for eventually coming to the end of there tether with it and wanting a refund imo,regardless of hours played,but thats just how i see it. If DICE/EA had released a game that worked a lot better on release nobody would be having this discussion. Ultimately they dont deserve anybodies money for this imo

EDIT: Just as a side note,i also bought a PS4 way earlier than i would have liked just to get this game as a few friends couldnt wait and got PS4's very close to release,im also premium on PC.

€115 on the game and premium for PS4 and €80 on the game and premium on PC. So as you can see ive payed nearly €200 for a game and its DLC that was utterly broken on release and has taken 6+ months to bring it to the standard thats deemed playable

Magill wrote: »
    Competitive gaming on console in general is a bit of a joke imo (Unpopular opinion ?), !

Oh i agree gaming on consoles is a pure joke. The full list of finalists for the 2014 Call of Duty Championship is as follows:

1st: compLexity, $400,000
    2nd: EnVyUs, $200,000
    3rd: OpTic Gaming, $120,000
    4th: Strictly Business, $100,000
    5th: Trident T1dotters, $70,000
    6th: FaZe, $50,000
    7th: Rise Nation, $35,000
    8th: VexX Revenge, $25,000

eSports is still a strange enough phrase to many in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Oh i agree gaming on consoles is a pure joke. The full list of finalists for the 2014 Call of Duty Championship is as follows:

1st: compLexity, $400,000
    2nd: EnVyUs, $200,000
    3rd: OpTic Gaming, $120,000
    4th: Strictly Business, $100,000
    5th: Trident T1dotters, $70,000
    6th: FaZe, $50,000
    7th: Rise Nation, $35,000
    8th: VexX Revenge, $25,000

eSports is still a strange enough phrase to many in this country

Crazy money for such a crap game. As someone who's played CS at a reasonably high standard (For more years than I care to admit) and having tried competitive CoD on consoles... the difference is night and day between a good competitive game (CS) and the trash console players have to put up with (CoD,BF). The only games I'd imagine are good for competitive play on console are fighting games and possibly sports games.

Esports is getting really big nowadays. The numbers League of Legends, DoTA and even CS:GO are producing is crazy. Both in prizemoney and viewers. Some games are just not suited for it tho.

Advertisement