Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I loved that last scene. One of the most memorable moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I think it's ridiculous to say TLOU is bog standard except for the story. I mean take any games strongest element from it and it becomes standard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I loved that last scene. One of the most memorable moments.

Form a game design view it was a complete disaster. Do anything other than what the developers want you to do and it totally falls apart. Making it interactive was a complete failure of game design principles (If the player can do it, they will try it so factor this in). Should have been a cutscene or something along the lines of MGS3
    when you kill the Boss.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Form a game design view it was a complete disaster. Do anything other than what the developers want you to do and it totally falls apart. Making it interactive was a complete failure of game design principles (If the player can do it, they will try it so factor this in). Should have been a cutscene or something along the lines of MGS3
    when you kill the Boss.

Ah, I thought you meant the very last scene with the two of them.

Yes I agree on the rest but it didn't spoil my enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

when you kill the Boss.

One single moment where you may or may not try to do something the developers didn't intend does not make or break a 12-16 hour game. And I'd say the vast, vast majority of people did exactly what the developers intended, especially on their first playthrough. I know I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

save the world or save the girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penn wrote: »
    One single moment where you may or may not try to do something the developers didn't intend does not make or break a 12-16 hour game. And I'd say the vast, vast majority of people did exactly what the developers intended, especially on their first playthrough. I know I did.

I'll be honest, I was so caught up in the game that I never thought of doing anything other than what the developers intended. It was only reading up about it here that I thought 'Oh yeah, I could have done it another way'. Didn't really make any difference to me and it would be a quibble that'd have no effect on my enjoyment at all. Some of the other elements shoe-horned in to give the game a bit of variety were more jarring to me and dampened my enjoyment a little. But the slow, evolving relationship with Joel and Ellie was magnificently handled and I loved the stealth parts of the game. And those giraffes…

Penn wrote: »

Yes, I didn't even flinch before doing it. :D
    "I'm coming. HANG ON GIRL!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'll be honest, I was so caught up in the game that I never thought of doing anything other than what the developers intended. It was only reading up about it here that I thought 'Oh yeah, I could have done it another way'. Didn't really make any difference to me and it would be a quibble that'd have no effect on my enjoyment at all. Some of the other elements shoe-horned in to give the game a bit of variety were more jarring to me and dampened my enjoyment a little. But the slow, evolving relationship with Joel and Ellie was magnificently handled and I loved the stealth parts of the game. And those giraffes…

Exactly.
    You spend about 5-10 minutes before that killing about 20-30 soldiers to get to Ellie. Of course you're not going to change your mind and not save Ellie once you reach her. Of course you're going to kill the doctors. That's exactly what the story and gameplay lead you to do, and it's what 95%+ people would have done without even thinking about it. And I'd say some of the 5% thought about it and still did it anyway, especially on the first playthrough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That bit just annoys me because it's the only blemish, and a rather small one at that, in the entire game. I was learning game design theory at the time as well so it probably stuck out alot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

jones wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous to say TLOU is bog standard except for the story. I mean take any games strongest element from it and it becomes standard

Most great games have more than one decent element, it's not lauded like Doom where the gameplay is everything. TW3 could have done very well without the quality of writing, the side quest depth, world depth or combat. If the writing wasn't so good TLOU would be an utterly forgettable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Manhunt (first one) is one of the greatest games ever made.

Manhunt (first one) is one of the greatest games ever made.

I'd be of the opinion that it's pretty bad (most people love it). Terrible stealth mechanics, ropey engine and it looked awful. Take out the violence and you had a game where you walked up behind people and held a button down to get extra gory attacks (and it looked so bad they were hardly a reward).

Really don't get the love for the game but I'm in the minority here. I do remember at launch the magazine that had the exclusive review gave it 3/10 so Rockstar pulled the exclusivity deal and gave it to another magazine.

I'd be of the opinion that it's pretty bad (most people love it). Terrible stealth mechanics, ropey engine and it looked awful. Take out the violence and you had a game where you walked up behind people and held a button down to get extra gory attacks (and it looked so bad they were hardly a reward).

Really don't get the love for the game but I'm in the minority here. I do remember at launch the magazine that had the exclusive review gave it 3/10 so Rockstar pulled the exclusivity deal and gave it to another magazine.

Agree, but in terms of mind****ery and atmosphere/horror feel, the only game that I can think of that (while the gameplay is a bit crap) matches it would be something like Silent Hill 2 or Spec Ops the line. It's an extremely compelling game.

I think there are a number of great set-pieces in it as well, which often helps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I was 17/18 when it came out and had a love for stealthty and gory kills because I loved Tenchu1/2 ...and I think there was a severe lack of decent ones around that time.
    It was snuff obviously, but it was enjoyable. I wouldn't even list it in my top 50 games but it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I was totally caught up in it as well, but
    I instinctively aimed for the doctor's hand (I didn't give it a lot of thought - just figured he was unarmed and didn't deserve to die!) and he dropped like he'd taken a shotgun blast to the face. Found it very jarring!

It didn't change my opinion of the game, but it did annoy me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Last of us was so bad I couldn't even force myself to finish it.

I only played an hour of it for whatever reason. Never went back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I only played an hour of it for whatever reason. Never went back.
    I was the same with Uncharted 1, so as a result I've never played any of the other games in that series.

Thirded.

The Last of Us has a plot that is just standard run of the mill zombie/apocalypse stuff. I remember reading a review saying plot wise it was like Citizen Kane lol. How fecking desperate are the gaming industry lol. Joel is a fùcking arsehole

It's too action based and too easy to be scary/atmospheric (Silent Hill 2 and Manhunt do this right imo) and too up its own hole/takes itself way too seriously not action based enough to be fun (Resident Evil 4 did this right, that game was B-Movie camp and it was all the better for it). It's not that good a game in all honesty.

Also the Uncharted series is garbage. Boring shooting mechanics, press x boring platforming moments and the most irritating tit of a protagonist in modern gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Angron wrote: »
    I was the same with Uncharted 1, so as a result I've never played any of the other games in that series.

This but I finished the first game.

I will at some stage possibly try Uncharted 2, though Assassins Creed 1 to 2 was a huge leap and they got stale pretty soon after. Haven't played BF.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on boards mention Superhot since it was released, I bloody loved it

Uncharted 2 was one of the best games of its generation - IMO of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

jones wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 was one of the best games of its generation - IMO of course

Was it though? The whole generation? Its a third person action shooter with a mediocre story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

I had just seen the thread title and was gonna post something similar..an average zombie game and overall a bit meh.

I did finish it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This but I finished the first game.

I will at some stage possibly try Uncharted 2, though Assassins Creed 1 to 2 was a huge leap and they got stale pretty soon after. Haven't played BF.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on boards mention Superhot since it was released, I bloody loved it

I finished 1 and finished 2, but had to stop halfway through 3. Found it a bit dull.
    I hear 4 is great though, I'd love to try it if/when I get a PS4. But it will mean forcing myself to complete 3 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was it though? The whole generation? Its a third person action shooter with a mediocre story.

Pack it in. The story was great, the acting was top class, gameplay brilliant, looked great.

All personal opinions of course tho.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Pack it in. The story was great, the acting was top class, gameplay brilliant, looked great.

All personal opinions of course tho.

It wasn't Mario Galaxy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mario Galaxy was a terrifically well made game. As somebody who was sceptical of it, it won me over almost instantly. I still go back and play it from time to time.

Heres an opinion thats a little against the grain. Everyone is super excited for the new Zelda game and people are gushing at how it looks and the new direction and so on.......but I'm not impressed by what I've seen. The "Skyrim-ification" doesn't strike me as a good thing. Zelda has always had an overworld, but its always been a tight experience. I'm a bit worried it wont feel like a zelda game and will lose some of the magic.

Kirby wrote: »
    Mario Galaxy was a terrifically well made game. As somebody who was sceptical of it, it won me over almost instantly. I still go back and play it from time to time.

Heres an opinion thats a little against the grain. Everyone is super excited for the new Zelda game and people are gushing at how it looks and the new direction and so on.......but I'm not impressed by what I've seen. The "Skyrim-ification" doesn't strike me as a good thing. Zelda has always had an overworld, but its always been a tight experience. I'm a bit worried it wont feel like a zelda game and will lose some of the magic.

Yeah the whole cooking aspect? No thanks. Zelda doesn't need crafting nor do I want it at all.

• Advertisement

I think Uncharted 2 was the pinnacle of the Uncharted series and it for me was my favourite game of that generation. It had it all - hollywood level of income to graphics, audio, great story, acting.

At its heart it's still a third person shooter but a very very well made one

Advertisement