Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    Mario Galaxy was a terrifically well made game. As somebody who was sceptical of it, it won me over almost instantly. I still go back and play it from time to time.

Heres an opinion thats a little against the grain. Everyone is super excited for the new Zelda game and people are gushing at how it looks and the new direction and so on.......but I'm not impressed by what I've seen. The "Skyrim-ification" doesn't strike me as a good thing. Zelda has always had an overworld, but its always been a tight experience. I'm a bit worried it wont feel like a zelda game and will lose some of the magic.

I feel the format has become a little stale though. Skyward sword for me was one of the worst zeldas with the overworld effectively just being abother dungeon which got exhausting. Link between worlds though was an exceptional move in the right direction giving the player just enough choice to be engaging but with tightly designed dungeons. I won't mind an open over world if the dungeons are classic zeldas but I hope the overworld isn't superfluous and allows players some freedom to explore and tackle stuff out of order instead of being overly gated like skyward was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

jones wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 was one of the best games of its generation - IMO of course

In my (unpopular) opinion, Uncharted 3 was better than 2, and I never understood people's dislike of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Nailz wrote: »
    In my (unpopular) opinion, Uncharted 3 was better than 2, and I never understood people's dislike of it.

The ship level was particularly good imo and there was some good parts. I think it was just franchise fatigue by then. 2 knocked it out of the park (for the time) and was a hard act to follow.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The ship level was particularly good imo and there was some good parts. I think it was just franchise fatigue by then. 2 knocked it out of the park (for the time) and was a hard act to follow.
    Yeah I can understand that, being the third game over the course of a four year period will do that, but I genuinely preferred the story, the villain, the environments and set pieces more than in Uncharted 2.

I think you're right in that 2 was a hard act to follow, I think that Uncharted 3 was always going to be looked upon as in the shadow of Uncharted 2, regardless of whether it was better or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nailz wrote: »

I played the series backwards 3-1 and I enjoyed 3 more than 2. 1 isn't much cop but I'm glad I played it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I enjoy the uncharted games but the floaty combat controls are complete arse especially coming from something like gears of war or resi 4 which has third person combat nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I played the series backwards 3-1 and I enjoyed 3 more than 2. 1 isn't much cop but I'm glad I played it.

Yeah i think 3 is great aswell. Infact i loved all 3 so much i rebought the remasters after finishing them all. I think UC3 got a lot of stick because it was as "funny" as 1 and 2. And generally had a more serious tone (well as serious as UC can ever get)

• The Witcher 2 + 3 are overrated and bloated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The Witcher 2 + 3 are overrated and bloated

Ohhhh you'll get a few with that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

:mad: thats not a opinion, thats just wrong. If I was a mod Id card you for trolling :mad:

• Advertisement

• Kal El wrote: »
    :mad: thats not a opinion, thats just wrong. If I was a mod Id card you for trolling :mad:

That's why this thread is called "Unpopular Gaming Opinions"

Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Witcher 2 was a bit overrated. 3 is a master work.

Funnily enough they're overrated for the same reasons that they're bloated. They're still good games though.

• Nailz wrote: »
    Funnily enough they're overrated for the same reasons that they're bloated. They're still good games though.

I tried so hard to get into Witcher 2, got nearly half way though two times.
    Got Bored

Witcher 3 the same

Witcher 3 is outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I tried Witcher 3 and couldn't get into it at all. I'm sure once you do it's probably great, but absolutely nothing was grabbing me with it in the few hours I played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'll echo M!Ck^ sentiments on Witcher 3 (never played 2), could not get into it at all. I did not enjoy the combat at all. I really should give it another go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Overwatch is overrated. I played the free weekend a few weeks ago and hated it. But its Blizzard so blinders be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I tried Witcher 3 and couldn't get into it at all. I'm sure once you do it's probably great, but absolutely nothing was grabbing me with it in the few hours I played.

Same, I played it a couple of weeks after abandoning the frankly tedious Dragon Age: Inquisition and didn't find it to be much better than that.

I'm bewildered at the praise Witcher 3 gets and I can only assume it comes from people who don't play a whole lot of games because it is incredibly generic and has all been done before, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Re: Uncharted 2 vs 3

Context is important here. It's hard to stress how much of a quality leap the second game is over the first. I played them both pretty much one after the other when Uncharted 2 launched, and I'd happily state I've never seen such an increase in quality in a single series (even in other well-liked sequels like Assassins Creed 2, although having not played the previous Persona games before 3 there could be a case there). Uncharted 2 wasn't so long ago in the wider history of gaming, but it arrived with a bang: no game had ever had production values that lavish; acting that convincing; setpieces that exciting; action movie storytelling that confident. It was never perfect - that 'ludonarrative dissonance' was always there, as was the repetitive combat. But it was fresh and exciting and assured in a way I don't think any blockbuster game had been before (even the likes of Half-Life 2 were great in a really different way).

Even a few short years later, I reckon some of the Uncharted tropes and trends - shared, it must be said, among other games of its generation - had started to work their way into gaming more general. When Drakes Deception came along, it'd be hard to contest that certain aspects were objectively superior to its predecessor - although that is the case with most game sequels, given how dependent they are on technological advances. What it wasn't was a quantum leap. It was more of the same - an assured and enthusiastic 'more of the same', but more of the same nonetheless.

With no major new tricks up its sleeve, IMO the flaws only became more evident. The combat in particular stopped being something easy to overlook and instead a tedium that constantly undermined the stuff the game was doing really well. Maybe there was more of it, I don't know - haven't played either 2 or 3 since launch - but absolutely at the time the shooting felt far more intrusive than it had done before, and the platforming less engaging. Once you know the rules of the setpieces too, I think they lose a bit of their magic - there's great sequences in there for sure, but some of the more 'explodey' sequences felt a bit stale (albeit still a notch above the significantly more tedious and derivative likes of Tomb Raider 2013).

It'd be hard to contest that Uncharted 3 still has much going for it - much of what was good about its predecessor carries over, and in some cases is actively improved in. But it was The Last of Us and Left Behind that saw Naughty Dog willing to experiment again, and felt like that significant leap in quality Drake's Deception wasn't. Uncharted 4 was a nice middleground - retaining some flaws the series seems unable to shake off, but also embracing some of the narrative maturity (well, within the pulpy limits of this series) of TLOU and mixing up the gameplay loop here and there. Also helped that a generation jump was able to allow for graphical evolution magic same-gen sequels aren't able to.

In conclusion, and just to be a bit unpopular in keeping with the general theme of this thread: Left Behind > Uncharted 2 = TLOU = Uncharted 4 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 1 > That ****ty Vita one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

That's why this thread is called "Unpopular Gaming Opinions"

Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm trolling

I was joking buddy :pac:
    But still Im very angry at your opinion :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Witcher 3....overrated and bloated

9GA9g.gif

That ****ty Vita one.

Ah thank god there's someone else!

The Vita Uncharted is arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I tried so hard to get into Witcher 2, got nearly half way though two times.
    Got Bored

Witcher 3 the same

Witcher 2, I was enjoying and doing every side quest I could find, but I definitely fell off on it in the run up to the finale. I found I essentially mainlined the main story just to get it over and done with. I'd still rank it highly though.

Witcher 3, I haven't experienced any loss of interest and I've nearly 80 hours in so far. I did read all the books in between the two games, which probably got me a bit more invested in it.

It's not without its flaws to be fair, combat is a bit wonky, it's possible to entirely ignore crafting and alchemy, the over reliance on witcher senses as a means of tracking and finding clues is a bit of a let down, and I tend to find myself constantly looking at the minimap while on horseback instead if taking in the amazing scenery.

But in spite of all that, it's still head and shoulders above anything else in the genre. The world feels like a real place, populated by people ranging from downtrodden, to desperate, to despicable.

Context is important here. It's hard to stress how much of a quality leap the second game is over the first. I played them both pretty much one after the other when Uncharted 2 launched, and I'd happily state I've never seen such an increase in quality in a single series (even in other well-liked sequels like Assassins Creed 2, although having not played the previous Persona games before 3 there could be a case there). Uncharted 2 wasn't so long ago in the wider history of gaming, but it arrived with a bang: no game had ever had production values that lavish; acting that convincing; setpieces that exciting; action movie storytelling that confident. It was never perfect - that 'ludonarrative dissonance' was always there, as was the repetitive combat. But it was fresh and exciting and assured in a way I don't think any blockbuster game had been before (even the likes of Half-Life 2 were great in a really different way).

Literally agree with every word

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Same, I played it a couple of weeks after abandoning the frankly tedious Dragon Age: Inquisition and didn't find it to be much better than that.

I'm bewildered at the praise Witcher 3 gets and I can only assume it comes from people who don't play a whole lot of games because it is incredibly generic and has all been done before, in my opinion.
    What would you consider a good game?

Theres a difference between not liking Witcher 3 and it being a bad game and like it or not it's not a bad game given the crap thats been released this year and last alone.

Name even one game this year were all that hasn't been done before? Most of the people prising it like myself are ones who have played a "whole lot of games" and the praise was because of the level of detail they invested in it, from the none repetitive side quests that had as much attention to detail as the main ones to the the quality of the voice acting. The game isn't for everyone I agree but to say the praise for it comes from people who don't play a lot of games even based on people posting here is pure talking out your hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's pretty much universally praised and recongised as an outstanding game at this stage, by millions of people.

I don't think they all haven't played many games. In fact most reviewers.....who ranked it so highly...would probably have played more games than you.

http://opencritic.com/game/463/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt

82 review sites (only those listed with OpenCritic) scored it 85% or higher.

You are entitled to your opinion of it being a bad game, but you can't comment on others not playing other games as the reason for it's score. That's just stupidity.

Kat Bailey who I'd consider an expert in RPG games has said in her RPG podcast how she wants to get into the Witcher 3 but just can't. People have different tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Overwatch is overrated. I played the free weekend a few weeks ago and hated it. But its Blizzard so blinders be on.

Have genuinely, 100%, never played a Blizzard game before Overwatch, and I love Overwatch.

You think it's overrated, that's fine. But the popularity of the game extends far past "Blizzard blinders".

Edit: In fact, I'll go one step further, I wasn't even excited about Overwatch before it came out. For some reason I thought it was an Xbox One exclusive, so I paid no real attention to it before it came out. I was more interested in getting Battleborn, due to it being from the makers of Borderlands (Gearbox blinders I guess :D). But after seeing a bunch of gameplay videos and stuff, I opted for Overwatch instead. Still haven't played Battleborn.

Advertisement