Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Penn wrote: »
    Have genuinely, 100%, never played a Blizzard game before Overwatch, and I love Overwatch.

You think it's overrated, that's fine. But the popularity of the game extends far past "Blizzard blinders".

Edit: In fact, I'll go one step further, I wasn't even excited about Overwatch before it came out. For some reason I thought it was an Xbox One exclusive, so I paid no real attention to it before it came out. I was more interested in getting Battleborn, due to it being from the makers of Borderlands (Gearbox blinders I guess :D). But after seeing a bunch of gameplay videos and stuff, I opted for Overwatch instead. Still haven't played Battleborn.

I've played both, Overwatch is vastly superior

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

In conclusion, and just to be a bit unpopular in keeping with the general theme of this thread: Left Behind > Uncharted 2 = TLOU = Uncharted 4 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 1 > That ****ty Vita one.

I'm offended (not really) :pac:

Golden Abyss was a great game, much prefer it to Uncharted 1. And to demonstrate an unpopular opinion once more, in terms of my own personal enjoyment I had as much fun with Golden Abyss as I did with Uncharted 2.

I know that sounds mad... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Tomb Raider > Uncharted

• Team Fortress 2 > Overwatch

Never could get into it because i played so much TF2 back in the day

PS: Haha Benzi

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I really Liked the first Sniper Ghost Warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Tomb Raider > Uncharted

I found them very similar. Pretty much if you want to be a charming murderer or a girl who gets hurt at every opportunity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Kal El wrote: »
    I found them very similar. Pretty much if you want to be a charming murderer or a girl who gets hurt at every opportunity :pac:

Thats what they should call Uncharted 5 (not that i think there will be one)

Uncharted 5: Nathan Drake - The Charming Murderer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2 > Overwatch

Never could get into it because i played so much TF2 back in the day

PS: Haha Benzi

1138.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider at the moment, and the quality gulf between it and Uncharted 4 is vast.

There's a case to be made that the combat in RotTR is more satisfying, and the mechanics generally more involved. But it's also just a lifeless slog compared to UC4 (and the others).

Just a lot of things come together to make it seem immensely underwhelming to me. On PC it runs beautifully (most of the time) and is a technical marvel in many respects (those glow stick effects!), but there's little of the visual artistry seen in Naughty Dog'a work. The storytelling is intrusive nonsense: none of the wit, energy, characterisation and assured direction of a Nathan Drake adventure. It's one of the worst offenders in the modern day obsession with 'content': maps absolutely jam packed with things to do, but so little of that stuff is worthwhile or interesting. The survival mechanics are so half-assed and simplistic they may as well not be there. The Metroidvania elements are severely undermined when a giant prompt pops up telling you 'YOU NEED THIS SPECIFIC NAMED ITEM YOU'LL GET SOON'

It also inherits the worst trait of its predecessor: its self-seriousness. That's what makes it mass murders so uninteresting; its mechanics so underwhelming; its crappy narrative so unrewarding. There's the sense of a game that actually wants to break out from the AAA formula, to be something bleaker and more unforgiving - but it's a game so restricted by its blockbuster budget it never comes close to its goals.

It's a game rarely less than competent. When you're messing around a basic but enjoyable optional tomb puzzle there's fun to be had. But it's an interactive identity crisis, never the game it could be if it was a little bit braver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Benzino wrote: »
    1138.gif

Could have used this so many times here. Really need to unsubscribe from this thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Metal gear series is a load of shíte. Kojima is a hack.

There's no such thing as a good Tomb Raider game, sorry lads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's no such thing as a good Tomb Raider game, sorry lads

Played through the very first game on PC recently. It holds up. The rest of those PS1 era games... not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

One of the things I don't like is how Uncharted seems to be protected when it comes to criticism, compared to Tomb Raider. I remember when Rise came out first reviewers were talking about how unrealistic it is that Lara kills so many people but you'd never hear the same argument for Drake.
    Another thing as well is how badly they ripped Tomb Raider off with Chloe, if that was the other way around you'd never hear the end of it.

I get where people are coming from when they say Uncharted has a better story and characters, but for me it's down the the gameplay itself that makes me prefer Tomb Raider. The gunplay is Uncharted is terrible, the climbing and running around as well isn't the best and I hate that whole chapter based level design. I think if Uncharted went down the route of using open areas similar to the Tomb Raider games it would be a lot better. Which is what there supposedly doing with the Chloe game, what a coincidence:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the things I don't like is how Uncharted seems to be protected when it comes to criticism, compared to Tomb Raider. I remember when Rise came out first reviewers were talking about how unrealistic it is that Lara kills so many people but you'd never hear the same argument for Drake.

I don't think it was necessarily that Lara kills so many people, the criticism was aimed at how she makes such a big emotional deal out of having to kill the first person she kills, then goes on to kill so many people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

This has probably been mentioned already, UFC 2 left a lot to be desired after all the hype. Career mode especially bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've heard the argument plenty of times in relation to the Uncharted series. I think the problem with the rebooted Tomb Raider is that it takes it self so seriously that when Laura Croft goes all out in the killing stakes, it feels completely incongruous to the narrative up to that point. Uncharted never really tries to deviate too much from its Indiana Jones style rompy origins (caveat: I haven't played 4 so I could be talking out me hole) that the fact you're playing a cold blooded psychopath never really bothers you that much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Played through the very first game on PC recently. It holds up. The rest of those PS1 era games... not so much.

With a controller or kbm? Couldn't stand it with a keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

HenryHill wrote: »
    This has probably been mentioned already, UFC 2 left a lot to be desired after all the hype. Career mode especially bad.

Online is where the enjoyment is. I'm not a fan of online gaming generally but I had over 150 fights in this game

Trying to gauge an opponent's style and trying to adjust if things are not going well is just addictive! Give it another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

HenryHill wrote: »
    Not having any of these or fight night games on pc is criminal :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The opinion that UFC 2 career mode is crap is highly popular. No one likes that ****. The game has incredible gameplay though. As above, playing online is the way to go, especially against lads on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Not having any of these or fight night games on pc is criminal :pac:

Still no fight night for ps4 yet its a real shame. They were good games.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Consoles are ****e.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Consoles are ****e.

So are other peoples opinions. I don't understand why people get so militant over this stuff, yeah there's facts that give PC advantage and facts that give consoles advantage, but at the end of the day its the games that make it, and no console or PC can cover all the bases.

* I know you aren't militant...yet...

PC can cover everything. Consoles can't.

Good luck playing Total War or Civ on a PS4.

Or Bloodborne or Mario Kart on a PC?

Plenty of console controllers work for PC.

Mario Kart is for kids.

:rolleyes:

Poor trolling or an idiotic opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Pugzilla wrote: »
    PC can cover everything. Consoles can't.

Good luck playing Total War or Civ on a PS4.

Theres plenty of games that the arent suited to pc. Pokemon feels crap on it

• Advertisement

Read the thread title maybe

Advertisement