Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just traded Horizon for the 2nd time, overhyped bollox, possibly because I had just finished Yakuza 0 and that pisses all over Horizon. Roll on Yakuza Kiwami next week.

Harsh man! Just finished my second playthrough of HZD, ultra hard. Class game, nothing serious just an easy chill game that looks fantastic. You can do the bear minimum and just do the main quests or continue to do all the side quests, cauldrons, bandit camps, corrupted zones, errands, hunting trials and the collectibles to boot, completly up to you. Story's pretty good, the world is awesome as are the machine fights but most of the characters are a bit **** if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I didn't like it but all the negative Witcher 3 comments really set me off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm finding more and more AAA games boring as hell these days, while the worlds, systems and interactions are more complex than ever, the gameplay tends to be so boring and simplistic.

My first example would be Dying Light. You want something, look for the huge orange map marker. Want to know where to climb, look for the bloody handprints. Combat is literally kick, swing, swing, retreat until you're at full stamina, and repeat until everything is dead. You've got whatever the hell Hunter Sense is to literally highlight everything of interest.

One of my biggest issues with TLOU was progression, don't look for paths or places to go, look for yellow/gold markings. They're the route you have to follow. There's not much exploration, its just looking for yellow. Similar as Dyling Light, you have Joel's magical hearing to highlight enemies, items, whatever.

The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham games, the list goes on. Where's the exploration or figuring out where to go or what to do, its all right in front of you, highlighted through a stupid filter. Everything is geared towards the player progressing at all costs with no chance of failure or getting even slightly lost.

Not every game needs to be Legend of Grimrock or Soulslike levels of figuring stuff out (and they're probably clear compared to some), but surely there's a better way than Eagle Vision being a solution to any search you might have to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm finding more and more AAA games boring as hell these days, while the worlds, systems and interactions are more complex than ever, the gameplay tends to be so boring and simplistic.

Game development is slow, sir: give AAA developers a year or two to realise why Nintendo so perfectly shamed them with Breath of the Wild :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm finding the shorter games far more fulfilling these days, Little Nightmares, Inside and Fire Watch for example.
    The only game is length that gripped me was BotW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this is how I feel around here

0H1K4S6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I think Dead Space 3 and Bioshock Infinite are superior to the preceding 2 games in each series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My first example would be Dying Light. You want something, look for the huge orange map marker. Want to know where to climb, look for the bloody handprints. Combat is literally kick, swing, swing, retreat until you're at full stamina, and repeat until everything is dead. You've got whatever the hell Hunter Sense is to literally highlight everything of interest.

One of my biggest issues with TLOU was progression, don't look for paths or places to go, look for yellow/gold markings. They're the route you have to follow. There's not much exploration, its just looking for yellow. Similar as Dyling Light, you have Joel's magical hearing to highlight enemies, items, whatever.

The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham games, the list goes on. Where's the exploration or figuring out where to go or what to do, its all right in front of you, highlighted through a stupid filter. Everything is geared towards the player progressing at all costs with no chance of failure or getting even slightly lost.

Not every game needs to be Legend of Grimrock or Soulslike levels of figuring stuff out (and they're probably clear compared to some), but surely there's a better way than Eagle Vision being a solution to any search you might have to do.

Yeah, I've always blamed consoles and AAA games for dumbing down of games for the masses (I don't want to start a flame war... I'm just saying like...) Make it pretty and make it easy but with the illusion of difficulty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I don't get the love for the Metal Gear Solid series.

I bought the collection for Xbox 360 recently to see what all the fuss was about. I remember playing the first metal gear solid on pc years ago and I remember enjoying it so I said I would keep going, starting with Sons of Liberty.

First thing I noticed was that the controls felt really clunky and in conjunction with the 3rd person perspective, it was a struggle to do a lot of basic things. There are endless monologues and so many pointless dialogues between Raiden and his gf but you can't skip them in case you actually miss the one relevant point about the objective. You can't pause the game at all.

Anyway persevered and found the interspersed game play good despite its many flaws. I finally finished it, despite the final boss battle being more talking than fighting.

Onto Snake Eater. Zero improvement with regards to controls. Somehow there is even more rambling pointless monologues/dialogues. I finally broke and gave up after turning it on one night and had to listen to 40 minutes of dialogue that I couldn't skip with zero actual game play.

I would like to finish the games for completion sake, but I really can't listen to anymore of the juvenile/ideological inane ramblings. Maybe they are supposed to be insightful and thought provoking but I just found them painful and reminded me of the kind of rants that a first year philosophy student would spout and I just can't face listening to any more of it despite my desire to see how it finishes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid 3 actually has way more game play than story out of all the MGS games. I hated the game initially as well. It bombards you with story at the start but 2 hours in I started to really enjoy the game. There comes a point in it where it leaves you alone and let's you get on with enjoying it.... something mgs4 should have learned.

• Advertisement

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 3 actually has way more game play than story out of all the MGS games. I hated the game initially as well. It bombards you with story at the start but 2 hours in I started to really enjoy the game. There comes a point in it where it leaves you alone and let's you get on with enjoying it.... something mgs4 should have learned.

MGS3 from a game mechanics perspective is awkward. And I always ended up getting spotted, trying to play it stealth is monotonous as the mechanics don't back it up.

When I completed it I ended up just eventually going Rambo when as I got bored of trying to sneak my way past ultimately always setting off alarms in the process.

For a game about stealth, it's not a very good stealth game.

Actually think MGS2 is better than MGS3

• I think Dead Space 3 and Bioshock Infinite are superior to the preceding 2 games in each series.

Enjoyable coop but Dead Space 2 is the pinnacle. Gets the action and the horror just right.
    Dead Space 3 was the first of the 'Shadow of War' style micro-transaction ****e to creep into single player games.

Infinite better than 1 & 2??? Nah!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Enjoyable coop but Dead Space 2 is the pinnacle. Gets the action and the horror just right.
    Dead Space 3 was the first of the 'Shadow of War' style micro-transaction ****e to creep into single player games.

Never noticed the micro-transactions thing in DS3 myself. I'll be honest - I tend not to notice them in any game. I actually enjoyed the game even if it was slightly overlong. The Awakened DLC was awesome though and the overall game would have really benefited if they had incorporated the feel of that dlc into the main game.
    Infinite better than 1 & 2??? Nah!!!!

Definitely. I don't think Infinite is quite as bad as some people make out but it's definitely in the shadow of the first two games.

• Never noticed the micro-transactions thing in DS3 myself. I'll be honest - I tend not to notice them in any game. I actually enjoyed the game even if it was slightly overlong. The Awakened DLC was awesome though and the overall game would have really benefited if they had incorporated the feel of that dlc into the main game.

Definitely. I don't think Infinite is quite as bad as some people make out but it's definitely in the shadow of the first two games.

It's actually built into the workbench in-game. And obviously was profitable as pay to win if made available will work and people will be suckered into buying that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

It's actually built into the workbench in-game. And obviously was profitable as pay to win if made available will work and people will be suckered into buying that crap.

The only extra money I'll spend on a game is for story dlc and that's it. I suppose I never would have really noticed the micro transactions because I'd never entertain spending the money on them. It didn't affect my ability to finish the game so it didn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm actually watching Alien Isolation on youtube as I'm too scared to play it.
    Loved all 3 of the Dead Space games. First was the best though imo.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The micro transactions in Dead Space 3 didn't bother me at all.
    Never went anywhere near them when I played through the game in co-op.

Didn't feel the game in anyway pushed me towards using them.

Guess it will be a crutch for people who are bad at video games to moan about when they can't finish a video game.

Felt the same with the last Deus Ex game in terms of game balance, but the idea of DLC that works one time only (or at least on 1 play through only) is pretty disgusting.

Still in the past when people got stuck on a game, they could simply use cheat codes to go by an area they were struggling with.

Anyway thought Dead Space 3 was okay overall. The weakest of the three Dead Space games but still fun in co-op.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm actually watching Alien Isolation on youtube as I'm too scared to play it.
    Loved all 3 of the Dead Space games. First was the best though imo.

Alien Isolation is genuinely creepy and can scare the shíte out of you very easily for most of the game but in the last couple of hours it turns from terrifying to just being frustrating. The game overstays it welcome by about 3 or 4 hours and I started to get very tired of it by the end. It's a bit of a pity because the rest of the game is great, even if it really is nothing more than a bunch of fetch quests while trying to avoid a big ass alien and a lot of homicidal androids.

• Advertisement

I really hope we don't get a Half-Life 2 Episode 3 or Half-Life 3.

The truth is that it's been too long since previous entries that they would need to strike absolute diamond to even make it worth it.

I'm sure it could be amazing, but it feels like it'd be better left as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

If anyone went back and played Bioshock the Collection from start to finish, with the lack of any real release time hype for Infinite, I'd be surprised if they felt it was as good a game as 2. Sure, stand alone, it's not terrible, but it was a f**king mess of a game imho tbh. And 2 with Minervas Den DLC was far superior and changed the formula of 1 just enough

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I played Infinite for the first time in 2015 and loved it. I get why it's considered a mess but I really don't care, my personal favourite Bioshock and one of my favourite games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mass Effect is kind of a rubbish as an RPG and as sci fiction.

The Paragon/Renegade system is just copied from kotor. It worked there since you have jedi and sith but it's too boring and black and white for what mass effect was going for.

The story is also just a fan fiction level game of thrones which bio ware loves. All the aliens are fantasy race tropes and you can replace the reapers with white walkers.

It's also pure space opera and about as Sci fi as 50 shades of grey.

Still enjoyed the games but real RPGs like the witcher and obsidian games are way more satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Still enjoyed the games but real RPGs like the witcher and obsidian games are way more satisfying.

It's a pity when Obsidian made Alpha Protocol it was such a poor attempt at an evolution of Mass Effect with a cool premise but it was so messy to play I couldn't get through more than a few hours.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Retr0gamer wrote:

It's a pity when Obsidian made Alpha Protocol it was such a poor attempt at an evolution of Mass Effect with a cool premise but it was so messy to play I couldn't get through more than a few hours.

Alpha Protocol is a far better RPG than Mass Effect. In fact it's one of the best made in the last 20 years and actually supports role playing rather than mass effect where your choices mean very little.

It has problems though. The core gameplay needed a lot more work and the opening stage is awful and probably put a lot of people off.

Advertisement