Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I believe Virtual reality oclous rift and project Morpheus is a fad

You know, I supported your Mario 64 bashing, I supported your Sega promotion, but now you're on your own :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I didn't like Mass Effect at all.

Can't get into online gaming as the learning curve is stupidly difficult. This might be me showing my age though.

To play the 'twitch' style shooters you need to play for hours every day to burn the game into your subconscious so your reactions are fast enough.

I'm absolutely rubbish at these games, my aim and reactions are nowhere near good enough, but I can still have a laugh in Battlefield playing support and helping out a squad, especially if they're talking and working as a team.

If you're not worried about your kill death ratio, you can still have fun and every now and then you'll have a round where you're just awesome and everything goes right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Akrasia wrote: »
    To play the 'twitch' style shooters you need to play for hours every day to burn the game into your subconscious so your reactions are fast enough.

I'm absolutely rubbish at these games, my aim and reactions are nowhere near good enough, but I can still have a laugh in Battlefield playing support and helping out a squad, especially if they're talking and working as a team.

If you're not worried about your kill death ratio, you can still have fun and every now and then you'll have a round where you're just awesome and everything goes right for you.

It even affects games like Fifa. There's a certain level among even the lower ranked players that's well above the time I can invest to achieve. Hence I played for a while in a single player league and break it out when I have friends visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kickstarter, betas, pre-alphas, games-in-progress, early access etc etc is not revoloutionary audience interaction, its a cancer on gaming and just leaves you paying full price for a 33% finished game that you will be bored off if you ever get around to finishing. minecraft the only exception there as it was fun to watch the development in progress and daydream about doing it yourself while you stare at MS Excel all day.

Also, Indie Games suck, even the famous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I used to be fixated on kdr. Played BF4 on Friday had a blast and kdr went down. Played it Saturday and had miserable experieince. kdr went up. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Playing games for the story is like watching movies for the soundtrack. A less effective way of consuming the part you claim to prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Single player games are as boring as hell.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I adore chucking road cars about the place such as in Forza etc but the Need For Speed games I can't play at all because of that 'twitch' style of constantly needing to do micro corrections until I'm stressed out and exhausted from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Bulmers Original

Love call of duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bioshock was fairly boring for me, couldn't make it through the first game. Still intend to go back to it at some point though.

Would you kindly go back & finish it, tis a great game ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Myrddin wrote: »

It's on the to do list for sure. I actually grabbed infinite last week because it was cheap, so hopefully if I enjoy it it will spur me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Love call of duty

There's 3 COD games in the top 20 best selling games ever.

Myrddin wrote: »

I didn't like it either. I get annoyed with games that won't let you 'rest'. In the sense of clear an area, almost no health and ammo, hit a checkpoint in the game/mission and suddenly all logic goes out the window and the area is crawling with enemies once again. I play games to relax, not be a jittery Vietnam Vet reliving his worst nightmares after an hour or two of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

Shadow of the Colossus is really, really overrated. Assassins Creed games too.

I never could get into any of the Zelda games either, even Ocarina of Time which a friend swore would be the one to convert me, I always got bored playing them *hides*

Master of the Universe

Naydy wrote: »
    Shadow of the Colossus is really, really overrated. Assassins Creed games too.

I never could get into any of the Zelda games either, even Ocarina of Time which a friend swore would be the one to convert me, I always got bored playing them *hides*

Whatever about Ocarina of Time, your comment about Shadow of the Colossus is pure insanity!

Did you stick it out to the end? If you haven't, just do it. It's possibly the best game on the PS2 (I say possibly as there are just so many good titles on that system)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Zelda Skyward sword was a disappointment

That's basically the popular opinion on Skyward Sword now. Which I think a shame, as the game got more right than wrong.

Unpopular on my part: ALBW is step in the wrong direction for Zelda, a retread of a previous game which offers little new, and is trivially easy for seasoned players.

The 3D feature of the 3DS was a worthwhile inclusion.

Pokemon games are far too easy to be of interest to anyone but the gaming equivalent of stamp collectors.

Turn-based combat works extremely well when the system is properly thought-out; much worse is the emergence in JRPGs of unsatisfying compromises between real-time and turn-based, a la Xenoblade Chronicles.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best modern 2D platformer.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic took itself way too seriously.

Championship Manager 01/02 is the highpoint of football management sims.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Whatever about Ocarina of Time, your comment about Shadow of the Colossus is pure insanity!

Did you stick it out to the end? If you haven't, just do it. It's possibly the best game on the PS2 (I say possibly as there are just so many good titles on that system)

I did actually finish it, but the controls were an absolute pain and I knocked it off a few times in frustration. Don't get me wrong, amazing music and graphics for the time, but jesus those controls. I just didn't find it the holy grail of gaming that some people hold it up to be.
    Got the HD collection when it came out and can't say my opinion improved. Loved Ico though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Tried twice to get into Witcher 2. Just cant do it. And I love that genre of games. :/

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Turn-based combat works extremely well when the system is properly thought-out; much worse is the emergence in JRPGs of unsatisfying compromises between real-time and turn-based, a la Xenoblade Chronicles

What annoys me about turn-based combat is the randomness that's utterly baffling.

If, in a non turn-based game, I'm faced with some enemies, I'll check my arsenal, get the weapon for the job and have at them.

IMHO, too many turn-based games are "Yes, it's the seventh level''s Boss, he can spit fire and uses a big sword. Here we go, your character has decided not to use Ice Spike Takedown but will instead conjure up a fluffy pillow and will throw that at him instead. And he's missed. And now your party is all dead except for the weakest one who's worse than useless." Feck off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

* Mass Effect 1 was the best of the trilogy
    * the latter Grand Theft Autos are boring, 'real life' simulators, and have lost their anarchaic playfulness (admittedly I haven't played GTA V yet so maybe this isn't the case anymore)
    * The Halo games are derivative and uninspired. The Master Chiefs armour is a terrible design.
    * Arkham Asylum was the only good 'Arkham' game; I thought City was a mess, padded out with busywork and bad design.
    * In retrospect, Final Fantasy VII wasn't that good. Great story, cut-scenes, but terrible gameplay in places.
    * I thought Chrono Trigger was only OK. Nothing special.
    * The X-Com reboot got incredibly boring and repetitive, very quickly.
    * The industry is flooded with Achievements, that add nothing to game except needless padding.
    * Gamers, as a whole, are poor decision-makers and demonstrate little self-restraint as consumers.
    * Video games have become far too violent, and it feels like the emotional maturity of the medium has gone backwards in places.

• Advertisement

• o1s1n wrote: »

I struggled with SOTC also; although I admit I didn't stick it out until the end. I got frustrated with the controls about an hour in and never got back to it.
    Still on my PSN+ so might give it another whirl when get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Borderlands is absolute dog****

Master of the Universe

Naydy wrote: »
    I did actually finish it, but the controls were an absolute pain and I knocked it off a few times in frustration. Don't get me wrong, amazing music and graphics for the time, but jesus those controls. I just didn't find it the holy grail of gaming that some people hold it up to be.
    Got the HD collection when it came out and can't say my opinion improved. Loved Ico though
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I struggled with SOTC also; although I admit I didn't stick it out until the end. I got frustrated with the controls about an hour in and never got back to it.
    Still on my PSN+ so might give it another whirl when get around to it.

I had a similar experience with the controls in SOTC the first time around and gave up very early.

Only went back to it a few years later and realized what I'd missed out on. It's an incredible game. The sheer size and scale of the colossi is immense.

Same goes for ICO - I gave up on that one fairly early but went back years later and realized I should have stuck it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fnz wrote: »
    Playing games for the story is like watching movies for the soundtrack. A less effective way of consuming the part you claim to prefer.

But... i... you... I don't get this. I play for the story, and normally a good story will get me through a bad game. A good game with a bad story will usually not be completed by me either. It just so happens that good games with good stories are the best out there! See Legacy of Kain.

Master of the Universe

Is it not possible to enjoy something for the sum of it's parts?

I would have thought people who play games for the storyline are also playing it for the gameplay too...neither have to be mutually exclusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Daith

Skyrim is a big bloated mess.
    GTA Vice City is the best GTA game.
    Majora's Mask was the last great Zelda game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Videogames stories are normally **** though

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had a similar experience with the controls in SOTC the first time around and gave up very early.

Only went back to it a few years later and realized what I'd missed out on. It's an incredible game. The sheer size and scale of the colossi is immense.

Same goes for ICO - I gave up on that one fairly early but went back years later and realized I should have stuck it out.

I loved Ico almost straight away, but SOTC just had too many flaws to look past. Beautiful yes, but that gets lost when you're so irritated by the crap controls and the camera going all over the place. Was a chore to finish it. Just my opinion of course (clearly very unpopular with most people, haha).

Daith wrote: »
    Skyrim is a big bloated mess.
    GTA Vice City is the best GTA game.
    Majora's Mask was the last great Zelda game.

I enjoyed Skyrim but found it a bit too 'easy' when it came to character levelling. Gone were the tricky balancing acts of previous games and now you can be Archmage despite being unable to cast the simplest spells. That and the DLC wasn't all that. Dawnguard - "You know all those places you've already visited? Well, now you're going to get to visit them all over again." Solsthiem looked lovely but every single bloody place on the map had a quest attached to it - not a single "I'll just pop in here for a quick bit of killing and looting." Nope, it had to have some finding some local eejit and getting a quest off him chore attached first. I gave up after I'd done the Dragonborn main quest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The original Dragon Age was the best RPG of the last generation.

Advertisement