Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

GTA online is overrated it's a boring grind.

• GTA V is overrated, the online is a boring grind.
    On the other hand GTA online it's such a laugh with the right group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    On the other hand GTA online it's such a laugh with the right group of people.

Fixed my post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Hardcore nintendo fanbase - the most smug group of gamers on a planet.

Not a chance.... PC gamers are definitely the worst.

Killzone - below average.
    Majora's Mask probably that bit better than Ocarina.
    MGS awful boring tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Titanfall is the single handedly the laziest attempt at a cash in from infinity ward/respawn entertainment. What ever they call them selves still basically the same company.

Its based on an age old engine with a formula that's been done countless times before by far superior games, 8 or more years ago bf2142, mechwarrior series, mirrors edge, counterstrike and so on so forth its over priced lack luster

The lack of a single player is a joke and unforgivable. COD mw 1 2 3 blops 1&2, BF3 & 4 all had em even if they were bad they still had em.

Worst of all to charge full price for it when its only a multilayer copy and paste of other games and it will be dropped like a hot snot by the devs in 6 months time when titanfall 2 comes out for reveal/bi-annual release or what ever they will do with this "franchise".....

Opinion over that felt goo :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

The Last of Us is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

evad_lhorg wrote: »

812.jpg

• Richie6904 wrote: »
    Titanfall is the single handedly the laziest attempt at a cash in from infinity ward/respawn entertainment. What ever they call them selves still basically the same company.

Its based on an age old engine with a formula that's been done countless times before by far superior games, 8 or more years ago bf2142, mechwarrior series, mirrors edge, counterstrike and so on so forth its over priced lack luster

The lack of a single player is a joke and unforgivable. COD mw 1 2 3 blops 1&2, BF3 & 4 all had em even if they were bad they still had em.

Worst of all to charge full price for it when its only a multilayer copy and paste of other games and it will be dropped like a hot snot by the devs in 6 months time when titanfall 2 comes out for reveal/bi-annual release or what ever they will do with this "franchise".....

Opinion over that felt goo :-D
    Titanfall has refreshed the genre for me, tight, close nit games while introducing an excellent par-cor system & really balanced Mech gameplay.
    It Reinforces teamplay where as opposed to the latest iterations of Call of Duty which have continuously regressed for all gung ho / glory hunting action with nonsense perks & killstreaks mid-game.

It even introduces one of the most overlooked aspects called 'Burn Cards' which re-invent the way that kill-streaks initially worked and makes the game much more balanced.

And not once since playing to my third Regen have I stressed out at playing the game even if the team loses, there is always a way to get satisfaction from it, if it's shooting up grunts or by escaping on the ship provides a sheer thrill that I haven't experienced in quite some time.

Yes, the single player is awful but you should have known not to purchase this for a campaign, this was created solely for the purpose of multilayer.

*Note this is in relation to the X1, no idea about the PC experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Have played Ocarina of Time on my 3DS up until I got the Master Sword and what an absolute boring trudge it was. Maybe it was good in it's day and time has not been kind. Who thought it would be a good idea to have a two minute run across a field at the start of every play session instead of having save points or checkpoints etc.?! I would love to hear some thoughts on this. Should I carry on?

Fantastic thread by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Thargor wrote: »
    Kickstarter, betas, pre-alphas, games-in-progress, early access etc etc is not revoloutionary audience interaction, its a cancer on gaming and just leaves you paying full price for a 33% finished game that you will be bored off if you ever get around to finishing. minecraft the only exception there as it was fun to watch the development in progress and daydream about doing it yourself while you stare at MS Excel all day.

I think you're confused between early access and games being released before they are finished like Battlefield 4 was. Games that are released in the alpha stage are always a lot cheaper than full releases and you get what you pay for, an unfinished game that will be updated to beta and eventually a full release build like Arma 3 was and Dayz is currently. I know people are entitled to their opinions but you are completely wrong in this regard.

Also, Indie Games suck, even the famous ones.

I don't play many indie games, do Rust and The Walking Dead count?? They are both excellent so that seems like a sweeping generalisation to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Also, Indie Games suck, even the famous ones.

I don't think you can really say that though. There are far too many 'indie' games to make such a blanket statement never mind that the term 'indie' doesn't really mean anything!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm going to be blunt here and say that dismissing all indie games isn't an unpopular opinion, it's a ridiculous one. Here's some 'indie games' (without getting pedantic about what the phrase means):

The Banner Saga
    Outlast
    Fez
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Journey
    Jamestown
    Dear Esther
    Ridiculous Fishing
    Kentucky Route Zero
    The Walking Dead
    Jazzpunk
    Strike Suit Zero
    Faster than Light
    Rust
    Minecraft
    Braid
    Bit Trip Runner
    Cave Story
    Broken Age
    The Room
    Super Hexagon
    Hotline Miami
    Critter Crunch
    Analogue: A Hate Story
    Super Meat Boy
    Amnesia
    DEFCON
    Rogue Legacy
    Frozen Synapse
    Mighty Number 9
    Elite: Dangerous
    Joe Danger
    New Shadowrun
    Skullgirls
    Gone Home
    Planetary Annihilation
    Spacechem

And they all pretty much have nothing in common (some rough subgroups aside - there are a lot of roguelikes for whatever reason) other than their modest size and generally small production teams (even that's not unique, if you look at something like Broken Age). Some of them couldn't be further from each other if they tried.

Maybe you don't like a certain type of indie game - say the ones with a focus more on narrative or atmosphere over in-depth mechanics, or the ones that riff on some older genres. That's cool, it's at least more specific. But saying 'I don't like indie games' is like saying 'I don't like foreign films' or 'I don't like novels over 300 pages long' - it's classifying a diverse range of work under a pretty arbitrary division.

If there's not quite a few indie games out there that you do like - and there are hundreds of well-liked and acclaimed ones to pick from, of all shapes and sizes - then, well, that's a pretty extraordinary bias.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All indie means is that they are games produced without publisher funding. Dismissing all indie games is flat out ridiculous considering indie by its very nature covers every type of game.

By its very definition Valve's recent output is indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Killzone - below average.
    Majora's Mask probably that bit better than Ocarina.
    MGS awful boring tripe.

Nope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

OiOshawott wrote: »
    Spyro isn't as good as people make it out to be.

Non-Insomniac ones, I'd agree. Loved the series when Insomniac did it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Golden Axe and Streets of Rage.
    Two examples of the worst genre in video games and I detest them and they're progeny.
    I can't get into JRPGs or Strategic RPGs.
    I still talk MSR as my favourite racing game of all, and it's 15 years old.
    Raiden II and DX are better than Cave Shmups.
    I like the Halo games and enjoyed the introduction of The Flood.
    I stuck more than most at the Souls series.
    I think I prefer my Turbo Express to my 3DS and Vita.
    I am starting to prefer Kirby to Mario :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My heart sinks when I hear a game I love is going to also come out on console as well this time. It normally means dumbing down across the board. Sometimes it's reasonable changes because of the move to a controller but other times it seems to be in search of some audience that isn't really the core console or pc gamer audience. Some kind of everyman who doesn't really do games but has a console and will play a game if it's easy enough to get into and not too complicated. Call of Duty and it's millions of installs has much to answer for.

Bleh.

Edit: I should say that this is not restricted to consoles. PC only genres like MMOs have suffered from this as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Metroid Prime.

Bought a gamecube to play it after the rave reviews. The only thing that impressed me was the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Two examples of the worst genre in video games and I detest them and they're progeny.

:mad: you die now!
    Raiden II and DX are better than Cave Shmups.

:) and now you're forgiven!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Golden Axe and Streets of Rage.

Wh........what is this...blasphemy???? :mad:

In other news, i hate FPS' :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

it's not easy being a moderator on the Arcade and Retro forum and detesting Golden@rse and Streets of Rubbish, but the Raiden games are simply magic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm going to be blunt here and say that dismissing all indie games isn't an unpopular opinion, it's a ridiculous one.
    OK I definitely get your point. It is harsh of me to tar a diverse range of games with the same brush. I still think your issue is less with those of us who are yet to play a game they like that has been classed as an "indie" game and more with the the incorrect classification of such games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

it's not easy being a moderator on the Arcade and Retro forum and detesting Golden@rse and Streets of Rubbish, but the Raiden games are simply magic

:pac:

Vyse wrote: »
    Metroid Prime.

Bought a gamecube to play it after the rave reviews. The only thing that impressed me was the soundtrack.

Play it again.
    It left a lot of folk puzzled at its launch because, while it was played from the first person perspective, it wasn't a first person shooter.
    The game is massively original and cleverly designed.
    The textures can look low quality by today's standards but the whole thing hangs together as greater than the sum of its parts.
    Like Super Metroid before it, it subverted the platforming genre and evolved it instead, so to with Metroid Prime.
    While all eyes were on Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield, Metroid Prime rewrote what action and adventure can mean from the first person.
    The sequel made it deeper and more challenging the third game stepped back to the first and was more accessible.
    The Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy is brilliant, with the control scheme tailored for the motion controls, and one of the few first person titles that successfully use the Wiimote.
    Fantastic stuff and worth a re-examination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

sheehy83 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Only finished the story line on'em because I constantly expecting more to happen. Found the climax of both to be a non-event.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

The new DmC reboot is pretty awesome (I've on played the first DmC game). He looks a lot better too.

jaxdasher wrote: »
    The new DmC reboot is pretty awesome (I've on played the first DmC game). He looks a lot better too.

I gave it a go thanks to ps+ service and it is really really good. I was one of those "It's not Dante QQ ", but I like new one now too. I really need to go back to it and play it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The combat in Bayonetta was good, but everything else in that game was god-awful. Story, design, OTT titillation, the on-the-rails levels were completely rubbish, upgrade system, enemies... pretty much everything about that game was terrible, and the combat system was good, but not great.

Penn wrote: »
    The combat in Bayonetta was good, but everything else in that game was god-awful. Story, design, OTT titillation, the on-the-rails levels were completely rubbish, upgrade system, enemies... pretty much everything about that game was terrible, and the combat system was good, but not great.

That reminds me:

Dantes Inferno is amazing game. I don't care if people ignoring it only, because they see it as God of war knock off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Portal 2 was a step too far. The joke had worn too thin.

Advertisement