Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

God of War is muck, so is Darksiders.

Almost the entire sub-genre of Modern Military Shooters are crap and are invading other genres.

Online multiplayer is no substitute for local split-screen.

Full Spectrum Warrior > Call of Duty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DMC was a good effort and doesn't deserve the hate it gets but it's not a patch on the main series. The combat is kind of broken, 30 FPS really is no substitute for 60 FPS, the bosses are awful, the writing is uniformly appalling and Dante is an unlikeable bellend. Still it's a lot of fun.

What killed the game for me was the late game when enemies have elemental weaknesses forcing the player to use specific weapons on them. The combat system goes compeltely out the window since instead of being free form and fun the player is now rail roaded into using specific weapons which goes against the whole point of the decent combat engine that was constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I find Modern Military Shooters morally dubious and refuse to play them.

"Go to NoReallytIraq & NotReallyAfghanistan and kill the natives with impunity"

No thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The most dubious of all was Black Ops 2.

What I figured out about the story was that it was about a man that was going to turn an aggressor nation's soulless and terrifying drone army against it's self for killing his wife and children.

And that guy was the bad guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo game since the turn of the century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Metal gear solid is garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not just 28 days later. Traditionally zombie movies and other pieces of media never refer to them as zombies, usually as something else or just don't give them a name. It's something which started with the '... of the Dead' series and continued. It's very rare that zombies are actually referred to as zombies.

As William Shakespeare famously said, 'A zombie by any other name would smell as bad'.

Here's a nice chart for a breakdown of the different types of movie zombie. Warning large image - will break mobiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Golden Axe and Streets of Rage.
    Two examples of the worst genre in video games and I detest them and they're progeny.

I can't get into JRPGs or Strategic RPGs.
    I still talk MSR as my favourite racing game of all, and it's 15 years old.
    Raiden II and DX are better than Cave Shmups.
    I like the Halo games and enjoyed the introduction of The Flood.
    I stuck more than most at the Souls series.
    I think I prefer my Turbo Express to my 3DS and Vita.
    I am starting to prefer Kirby to Mario :o

This is one of the reasons why youll forever be my nemesis

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

COYVB wrote: »
    Metal gear solid is garbage

Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation was incredible when it came out. I absolutely loved that game.

The sequel was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thargor wrote: »
    Kickstarter, betas, pre-alphas, games-in-progress, early access etc etc is not revoloutionary audience interaction, its a cancer on gaming and just leaves you paying full price for a 33% finished game that you will be bored off if you ever get around to finishing. minecraft the only exception there as it was fun to watch the development in progress and daydream about doing it yourself while you stare at MS Excel all day.

Also, Indie Games suck, even the famous ones.

Ahem, Kerbal Space Program....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I grown tired of the military shooter genre and feel it over stayed its welcome

goldeneye 007 was never that good of a game

N64 controller is a crock of ****

I wouldn't say Goldeneye was never good.

I would however say that it's aged incredibly poorly and that it's near unplayable now.

Actually I feel most of Rare's N64 output has aged incredibly bad with the exception of Banjo Kazooie and Blast Corp (which is an absolute classic).

Conker's Bad Fur Day is a bad game. It's got rubbish levels with lots of needless backtracking and humour only someone under 15 could find funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Deep breath...

Nintendo's hardware innovation is ridiculously overrated imo. Whenever it's mentioned that they should stop making home consoles there seems to be an outcry of how there will be a lack of innovation as if to suggest they have brought consoles on leaps and bounds.

I disagree.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My introduction to serious PC gaming was through Quake. As a result, I have no idea why people think that any of the following games are good, they're just very poor clones of much, much better originals:
    Goldeneye, Halo series, Bioshock series, Call of Duty Series.

Nothing has come close to topping Quakeworld for online competitive FPS for me (with Quake 3 Arena and the Unreal Tournament series being noted exceptions). The speed and twitch accuracy combined with clever movement tricks and mechanics make for an outstanding gaming experience to play and to watch at high levels.

I think that the major push towards consoles that started with the PlayStation turned gaming from a brilliant, but niche market into a consumerist hell where mass market appeal rules the roost and "Daves" who only buy this year's FIFA and CoD and who don't understand that those of us who've been doing this for years stare at the bastardisation and rape of our culture and standards and get angry about it because we don't want to live in a world where your gaming life revolves around buying the same game every year (when we used to get updates for free or better still, the game was opened up to a mod community from the start) and you're more relevant to the people who publish games than those of us who spend more money on hardware and software and who will take chances on new ideas.

Thankfully the internet offers us an out :)

In other unpopular news, I don't really trust Valve and I don't understand the frankly absurd hatred Origin gets because "it's not Steam" despite offering a perfectly functional and valid service that Valve took years to get right. More competition for Steam is the best possible result for gamers. Between Origin, the Humble Store and GOG, Steam's become less relevant to me and doesn't get opened on my PC as often as it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Skyrim is the worst iteration of the Elder Scrolls Series.

Shiminay wrote: »
    My introduction to serious PC gaming was through Quake. As a result, I have no idea why people think that any of the following games are good, they're just very poor clones of much, much better originals:
    Goldeneye, Halo series, Bioshock series, Call of Duty Series.

Including Bioshock with that list of games just seems wrong to me.

Not because I love the series which I do but because all the rest are more focused towards competitive multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

In other unpopular news, I don't really trust Valve and I don't understand the frankly absurd hatred Origin gets because "it's not Steam" despite offering a perfectly functional and valid service that Valve took years to get right. More competition for Steam is the best possible result for gamers. Between Origin, the Humble Store and GOG, Steam's become less relevant to me and doesn't get opened on my PC as often as it used to.

It's all too easy for people to forget steam was complete garbage when it launched, I have vivid memories of trying to get Half Life 2 working back in 2004 on dialup, shudder. Now it's the standard for pc games being gotten digitally but it wasnt always the internet darling it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

This thread is turning into 'Say something to provoke reaction of others', i feel.

Some opinions are just outright wrong.....FACT!

:pac:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    This thread is turning into 'Say something to provoke reaction of others', i feel.

Some opinions are just outright wrong.....FACT!

:pac:

Well they are unpopular.. to be expected really! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unpopular opinion: I think many members of the gaming community are too hung up on what other people are playing, and don't put enough effort into celebrating just how wonderful gaming is in 2014 :)

Every time I see pining for some golden age, or dismissal of the current 'state of gaming', I can't help but personally find relief in the fact that we have never had it as good. Sure, a lot of mass market, commercially successful games and genres are stagnant and conservative, but the variety this medium has to offer is staggering. We play games in a time where games like The Stanley Parable, Minecraft or Super Meat Boy can make their creators millionaires in no time at all (albeit with countless hours of hard work to get there, as is the way with any successful creative endeavour). We play games in a time where almost every niche genre audience is well served. We play in a time when digital distribution has opened up huge new markets, and encouraged the emergence of extraordinary creativity on everything from mobile phones to monster PCs.

Every medium has its dominant mass market, commercial side (cinema's possibly even worse in that regard, as is literature) - no-one can change that. But gaming has never offered richer alternatives or more variety. IMO the only sad thing about people only playing one or two titles every year is that they're denying themselves the countless examples of gaming brilliance out there. It would of course be nice if all our individual favourite games and genres were massive commercial successes, but looking at the breadth of games on offer at the moment I see nothing but cause for the greatest optimism about gaming's present and future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

sweetie wrote: »
    Portal 2 was a step too far. The joke had worn too thin.

Comedy is very subjective. I loved Stephen Merchant at the time so Portal 2 was a 10/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I didn't like Half Life 2. I thought it was boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think that the major push towards consoles that started with the PlayStation turned gaming from a brilliant, but niche market into a consumerist hell where mass market appeal rules the roost and "Daves" who only buy this year's FIFA and CoD and who don't understand that those of us who've been doing this for years stare at the bastardisation and rape of our culture and standards and get angry about it because we don't want to live in a world where your gaming life revolves around buying the same game every year (when we used to get updates for free or better still, the game was opened up to a mod community from the start) and you're more relevant to the people who publish games than those of us who spend more money on hardware and software and who will take chances on new ideas.

This is kind of the gaming nerd equivalent of the 'I prefered their earlier records' music hipster. I honestly don't understand why you're bothered by Dave buying his CoD and FIFA and playing them in his jockeys at the weekend. It's not like there isn't hundreds and hundreds of other games out there and people are forcing you to play only the blockbuster games. Rape and bastardisation of a culture? Give over…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Skyrim is the worst iteration of the RPG genre.

Fixed it for ya! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

This is kind of the gaming nerd equivalent of the 'I prefered their earlier records' music hipster. I honestly don't understand why you're bothered by Dave buying his CoD and FIFA and playing them in his jockeys at the weekend. It's not like there isn't hundreds and hundreds of other games out there and people are forcing you to play only the blockbuster games. Rape and bastardisation of a culture? Give over…

It also glosses over the bloody awful time of it trying to make a PC game work properly with the hardware in your PC in the days before internet. It wasn't exactly a golden era in the 1990's if you had the wrong brand of CD ROM drive or a chipset the games designer hadn't counted on. There's a lot to be said for console standardisation. I want to play a game, not have to do a night course in PC maintenance in order to get the fecking thing working.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Unpopular opinion: I think many members of the gaming community are too hung up on what other people are playing, and don't put enough effort into celebrating just how wonderful gaming is in 2014 :)

Every time I see pining for some golden age, or dismissal of the current 'state of gaming', I can't help but personally find relief in the fact that we have never had it as good. Sure, a lot of mass market, commercially successful games and genres are stagnant and conservative, but the variety this medium has to offer is staggering. We play games in a time where games like The Stanley Parable, Minecraft or Super Meat Boy can make their creators millionaires in no time at all (albeit with countless hours of hard work to get there, as is the way with any successful creative endeavour). We play games in a time where almost every niche genre audience is well served. We play in a time when digital distribution has opened up huge new markets, and encouraged the emergence of extraordinary creativity on everything from mobile phones to monster PCs.

Every medium has its dominant mass market, commercial side (cinema's possibly even worse in that regard, as is literature) - no-one can change that. But gaming has never offered richer alternatives or more variety. IMO the only sad thing about people only playing one or two titles every year is that they're denying themselves the countless examples of gaming brilliance out there. It would of course be nice if all our individual favourite games and genres were massive commercial successes, but looking at the breadth of games on offer at the moment I see nothing but cause for the greatest optimism about gaming's present and future.

It's the same argument as people giving out there's too many comic book movies being made, but wont watch something subtitled or independent and just go to the multiplex every weekend to watch whatever by the numbers blockbuster is out, doesnt mean films are dead, just means you have to sort through the dross.

Anyway if people think gamers are too held by the hand these days, just play Dark Souls 1 and 2 :pac:

I think Origin is bloody good and their customer service is second to none. People forget that Steam was a mess upon release and it took awhile for it to get where it is now. Origin had similar teething issues but now it's just as good as Steam.

Awhile back I had to contact Steam to see if they could refund me the cost of a game that I'd accidentally bought. It was sitting in my basket at the reduced price but as the order went in between 18:00 and 18:01 I was charged the full price. Steam support pretty much said "not our problem" and there was nothing they could do. I understand that they it was my fault but still it was irritating.

Fast forward a few weeks and there was a Sims 3 sake in Origin. My girlfriend bought two of the add ons but did so on my account as I'd logged in on her computer. She contacted customer support and they had no problem refunding the money and the person she was dealing with said that while the offer was over they'd send my girlfriend on a discount code so she'd pay the sale price if she wanted to reorder the games on the right account. It was a small thing but it really impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I think Origin is bloody good and their customer service is second to none. People forget that Steam was a mess upon release and it took awhile for it to get where it is now. Origin had similar teething issues but now it's just as good as Steam.

Awhile back I had to contact Steam to see if they could refund me the cost of a game that I'd accidentally bought. It was sitting in my basket at the reduced price but as the order went in between 18:00 and 18:01 I was charged the full price. Steam support pretty much said "not our problem" and there was nothing they could do. I understand that they it was my fault but still it was irritating.

Fast forward a few weeks and there was a Sims 3 sake in Origin. My girlfriend bought two of the add ons but did so on my account as I'd logged in on her computer. She contacted customer support and they had no problem refunding the money and the person she was dealing with said that while the offer was over they'd send my girlfriend on a discount code so she'd pay the sale price if she wanted to reorder the games on the right account. It was a small thing but it really impressed me.

Steam does do this kind of stuff too. It just depends on which customer services rep you get through to.

Skyrim is a bland and boring RPG that after 8 hours will put you to sleep. Dragon Age is equally uninspired, there's nothing there that hasn't been done a dozen times before.

Developers shouldn't have to spend time developing multiplayer for games intended as single player. I like playing by myself and being immersed in a world. I don't enjoy casual racism, abuse and self entitled gamers thinking that they are better than everyone else because they're good at mp games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Charging for Map-Packs, charging for updates, charging for online gaming - all thanks to the Dave's who are too dumb to know that this is stuff you should be getting as a part of the €60 you spent on your game in the first place. Add to that "match-making" instead of dedicated servers as well as the micro-transactions that they've brought in from mobile gaming, and it's hard to see it as anything but. None of this would have been accepted by a more informed PC Gaming audience (and by and large, it hasn't been, we all bitch and moan about it here), but console owning consumers don't care as their XBox or PlayStation is merely a Cod and Fifa machine and if they're told to buy a new thing for that then they do.

Advertisement