Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

Steam does do this kind of stuff too. It just depends on which customer services rep you get through to.

But from talking amongst friends it's rare whereas Origin just see it as the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Skyrim is a bland and boring RPG that after 8 hours will put you to sleep. Dragon Age is equally uninspired, there's nothing there that hasn't been done a dozen times before.

Developers shouldn't have to spend time developing multiplayer for games intended as single player. I like playing by myself and being immersed in a world. I don't enjoy casual racism, abuse and self entitled gamers thinking that they are better than everyone else because they're good at mp games.

Likewise, games that are obviously created for the multiplayer aspect shouldn't bother with bland single player campaigns. I like playing against real people who give a proper challenge rather than facing pedestrian AI who need unfair advantages to pose any sort of difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Shiminay wrote: »
    Charging for Map-Packs, charging for updates, charging for online gaming - all thanks to the Dave's who are too dumb to know that this is stuff you should be getting as a part of the €60 you spent on your game in the first place. Add to that "match-making" instead of dedicated servers as well as the micro-transactions that they've brought in from mobile gaming, and it's hard to see it as anything but. None of this would have been accepted by a more informed PC Gaming audience (and by and large, it hasn't been, we all bitch and moan about it here), but console owning consumers don't care as their XBox or PlayStation is merely a Cod and Fifa machine and if they're told to buy a new thing for that then they do.

Honestly, I only use my console for single player campaigns so a lot of what you're talking about wouldn't really affect me but the reek of snobbery from your posts in relation to people who only own an Xbox or Playstation is unbelievable. I know that the establishment of online stores for the consoles has seen the bigger companies exploiting them by making as much money as they can from their franchises by selling loads of DLC but the upshot is that they also provide a marketplace for indie developers to sell their wares which they wouldn't have had before for consoles. Bigger markets mean more potential for indies to make money and continue developing which has to a major plus for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Best thing about Skyrim is the music, which is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Grand Theft Auto online is pretty boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

So many people think little of Skyrim that not liking it doesn't really qualify as an unpopular or contrarian viewpoint, as least not in this forum.

That said, anyone who thinks that way is wrong, as Skyrim was an excellent game/time sink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Shiminay wrote: »
    Charging for Map-Packs, charging for updates, charging for online gaming - all thanks to the Dave's who are too dumb to know that this is stuff you should be getting as a part of the €60 you spent on your game in the first place. Add to that "match-making" instead of dedicated servers as well as the micro-transactions that they've brought in from mobile gaming, and it's hard to see it as anything but. None of this would have been accepted by a more informed PC Gaming audience (and by and large, it hasn't been, we all bitch and moan about it here), but console owning consumers don't care as their XBox or PlayStation is merely a Cod and Fifa machine and if they're told to buy a new thing for that then they do.

I've no interest in playing against other people. Mainly because I have absolutely zero competitive nature and just want something to pick up and play for an couple of hours of an evening after my dinner. My name's not Dave, I wouldn't play CoD or FIFA if you paid me and don't believe in giving Microsoft my credit card details to buy DLC when a bit of patience can have me picking up the fully-loaded version of the game second hand in six months time. My mobile phone is pretty much an MP3 player with a telephone attached and I have no intention of going cross-eyed trying to play a game on the puny screen.

PC gaming isn't the be all and end all of gaming. I've been there, I've bought the dedicated machine and I've spent hours configuring it to try and get games to play. It's too much like hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I've no interest in playing against other people. Mainly because I have absolutely zero competitive nature and just want something to pick up and play for an couple of hours of an evening after my dinner. My name's not Dave, I wouldn't play CoD or FIFA if you paid me and don't believe in giving Microsoft my credit card details to buy DLC when a bit of patience can have me picking up the fully-loaded version of the game second hand in six months time. My mobile phone is pretty much an MP3 player with a telephone attached and I have no intention of going cross-eyed trying to play a game on the puny screen.

PC gaming isn't the be all and end all of gaming. I've been there, I've bought the dedicated machine and I've spent hours configuring it to try and get games to play. It's too much like hard work.

If you spent hours configuring it, you're doing something wrong :) I like consoles for when I'm in the mood to relax and the PC when I want to be engaged.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Likewise, games that are obviously created for the multiplayer aspect shouldn't bother with bland single player campaigns. I like playing against real people who give a proper challenge rather than facing pedestrian AI who need unfair advantages to pose any sort of difficulty.

I agree but something like Titanfall could do with an offline mode or decent single player campaign. I had trouble getting a game on a number of evenings and ended up exiting to play something else. Had it an offline mode I'd most likely have played that and waited till I got a game. The lack of single player also means that in the future your game is going to be little more than a shiny coaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

ionapaul wrote: »
    So many people think little of Skyrim that not liking it doesn't really qualify as an unpopular or contrarian viewpoint, as least not in this forum.

That said, anyone who thinks that way is wrong, as Skyrim was an excellent game/time sink :)

I think its cause by the constant internet circlejerk over the game. Its decent but not great its got the whole "Vast as an ocean deep as a puddle thing going on" which worked for Fallout since the place is a wasteland

morrowind and Oblivion were better games imo

that being said ive put 30 hours into it

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    I think its cause by the constant internet circlejerk over the game. Its decent but not great its got the whole "Vast as an ocean deep as a puddle thing going on" which worked for Fallout since the place is a wasteland

There's a lot to like in the game but its inferior to the previous games in the series and Fallout 3 had a far better open world. Skyrim just bored me, the missions were bland and overtly similar and the story was dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm trying to get into RPGs and currently playing mass effect and fallout 3. I much prefer the latter though the combat of the former whilst not great is better. Skyrim iegendary is next forme.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

ionapaul wrote: »

I enjoyed playing Skyrim and think it looks lovely. The first time exploring the world is great. It's more that it suffers the usual Elder Scrolls issues of "Same cave, same layout, same enemy" every time you play. Once you get to a certain level, you're pretty much invincible, money becomes meaningless and there's not much by way of interesting loot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

NTMK wrote: »

Agree with Morrowind. Oblivion was just awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

There is something a little bit "hermetically sealed" about Skyrim alright, looks nice, sounds nice and that's about it, the main story is dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Grand Theft Auto online is pretty boring.

I hope this isn't an unpopular opinion.

Major disappointment and still no heists from what I hear..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Agree with Morrowind. Oblivion was just awful though.
    Oblivion was amazing, nothing like stepping out of that sewer for the first time and realising how big the world was, one of my all time favourite games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I put about 60 hours into Oblivion, loved it.
    Skyrim I just can't find the time now.

Someone saying they haven't enjoyed a Nintendo games since the turn of the century, such wrong, much foolishness.

Is this a forum sponsored trolling thread I wonder ;)

I agree though, we have never had it so good, with so many great games and systems available from the entire history of gaming, you can play Dark Souls 2 for an hour then bang on Espgaluda before trying a spot of Mario Kart 64, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I didn't like Oblivion.

and I don't like Bioshock 2/Infinite.

Sorry.

• tok9 wrote: »
    I hope this isn't an unpopular opinion.

Major disappointment and still no heists from what I hear..

It's on the way!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5-s-online-mode-finally-gets-heists-later-this-spring/1100-6418724/

• Advertisement

I thought Bioshock Infinite was as dull as ditchwater tbh, the combat was the same throughout, just bombard enemies with everything, onto next area, rinse and repeat. The setting was lovely and the story was good but meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

krudler wrote: »
    I thought Bioshock Infinite was as dull as ditchwater tbh, the combat was the same throughout, just bombard enemies with everything, onto next area, rinse and repeat. The setting was lovely and the story was good but meh.

The combat was a bit of a chore and I too found I was only indulging it to see where the story went next.
    Lots of locked doors that wouldn't open until X enemies were dispatched.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The combat was a bit of a chore and I too found I was only indulging it to see where the story went next.
    Lots of locked doors that wouldn't open until X enemies were dispatched.

Yeah or you'd get a new weapon, wind up in an arena full of enemies that weapon handily works on and just have to clear them out, zzzzzzz. Great story but dull dull dull combat.

The Tomb Raider games were pants, clunky as hell even if that was because of the tech at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Mortal Kombat is the best figt series there is.

Final Fantasy 8 despite it's story flaws is the best out of the whole series.

I do not care about cod or battlefield as they are slowly turning into one.

Day Z is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Final Fantasy 8 despite it's story flaws is the best out of the whole series.

I do not care about cod or battlefield as they are slowly turning into one.

Day Z is boring.

Street Fighter < Mortal Kombat

*awaits for bricks with threat notes wraped round them coming through the window

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I prefer Tekken series over most fighters. Don't like Street fighter or mortal kombat. Second place would be Dead or Alive series, believe it out not I actually like the fighting and counter mechanics. I try to over look the giggly boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

DLC annoy me so much i now only buy the GOTY game, 2 years after the game was released,
    This like Multiplayer options for single player games and wish the dev would have invested the time spent on the multi player on the single player game instead. they could release the multiplayer option as a DLC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Street Fighter < Mortal Kombat

43117045.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

We all know virtua fighter is the best fighter out there

• Advertisement

• We all know virtua fighter is the best fighter out there
    eh Tekken 3 anyone?

Advertisement