Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanye West for Marley Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

His two newest are his two best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

BadTurtle wrote: »
    His two newest are his two best.

I'd put his first 3 ahead of Yeezus, quite easily actually. While still not being very bad or anything, it's been downward since 808's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭44thservice

Corholio wrote: »
    I'd put his first 3 ahead of Yeezus, quite easily actually. While still not being very bad or anything, it's been downward since 808's.

not really , people tend to stick in a moment of music and like a specific genre or style, i think they're fossils. i got fed of kanye after the second and i didn't listen to him until mid way through 808's, 808's was different and it was a change, now people are 'dogin' him because MDTF and yeezus. I hope he continues to make different albums, and the fact he's going back to his "old style" on this new album is a step back for me, I'm not to mad on this method artists do, if people want the old ye by the old albums and if you have them and want more stuff, tough!!! its boring and repetitive to have the same constant beats and albums. that does nothing for me

Less commercial and chart-orientated. The only radio-orientated single he's had since 808s was All of the Lights. He's far more original and progressive since he went bat****.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Apart from Black Skinhead of Yeezus i def prefer albums like College Dropout and Late Registration

• Advertisement

College Dropout is definitely my least favourite. Apart from the singles it's very average.

not really , people tend to stick in a moment of music and like a specific genre or style, i think they're fossils. i got fed of kanye after the second and i didn't listen to him until mid way through 808's, 808's was different and it was a change, now people are 'dogin' him because MDTF and yeezus. I hope he continues to make different albums, and the fact he's going back to his "old style" on this new album is a step back for me, I'm not to mad on this method artists do, if people want the old ye by the old albums and if you have them and want more stuff, tough!!! its boring and repetitive to have the same constant beats and albums. that does nothing for me

Who said anything about a specific genre or style? I just generally think his last few albums haven't been that great in quality.
    Less commercial and chart-orientated. The only radio-orientated single he's had since 808s was All of the Lights. He's far more original and progressive since he went bat****.

Meh. I certainly don't think he's better because he's released less radio friendly singles. 'Yeezus' was certainly not progressive and was actually quite boring, which for Kanye, whether I liked or disliked his songs, is something that I never thought I'd say about him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kanye's best best album, imho, is My Brautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, as a piece of music it's near flawless, as a concept it's brilliant and the 35 minute video for Runaway that goes along with it is genius.

I love some songs off of dropout and late registration but as a whole album MBDTF is the top dog for me.

Who said anything about a specific genre or style? I just generally think his last few albums haven't been that great in quality.

Meh. I certainly don't think he's better because he's released less radio friendly singles. 'Yeezus' was certainly not progressive and was actually quite boring, which for Kanye, whether I liked or disliked his songs, is something that I never thought I'd say about him.

Whether you like it or not, Yeezus was hugely progressive. There's never been a rap album like it, and that's been recognised by critics rather than the mainstream - it was by far the best reviewed album of last year, and when someone like Lou Reed writes a review in awe of it you know it's pushing boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

MBDTF is his best IMO, amazing album.

Yeezus I wasn't too happy with initially but it gets better with every listen.

The rest I like except for Watch the Throne and maybe Graduation, would put them just below the rest. Don't know why Gradution is there but it never really clicked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

I definitely prefer his last three to his first 3. Kanye suits not doing conventional hip-hop because he is not a great rapper.

Whether you like it or not, Yeezus was hugely progressive. There's never been a rap album like it, and that's been recognised by critics rather than the mainstream - it was by far the best reviewed album of last year, and when someone like Lou Reed writes a review in awe of it you know it's pushing boundaries.

Your right, I didn't like it. Kanye just doesn't have the lyrical chops on the record for me to think it's anything progressive. Sometimes critics get mixed up in the whole 'he refuses to make a mainstream record' rebellious person. The production is never questioned with Kanye though, even if I think some tracks meanders especially with the industrial amounts of bass that overwhelm some tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Music is subjective lads. No one cares what you preferred!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Music is subjective lads. No one cares what you preferred!

insightful contribution to the conversation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

O.R.B. (aka The Original Rudeboys) to support

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I'm considering going to this based purely on Yeezus. What will the crowd be like? Pretty horrendous is what i would expect.

mal1 wrote: »
    I'm considering going to this based purely on Yeezus. What will the crowd be like? Pretty horrendous is what i would expect.

In which way do you mean? If as in rough probably not as much as you'd think. If you mean in terms of atmosphere I'd say probably okay going by watch the throne gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Doris300 wrote: »
    In which way do you mean? If as in rough probably not as much as you'd think. If you mean in terms of atmosphere I'd say probably okay going by watch the throne gig.

As in crowd. Much scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

It won't be too bad, I'd say. More likely to be quite a young crowd. My advice would be to not worry about it and it won't be a big deal.

Also, listen to something more than Yeezus. It's a great album, but he's got 5 other classic albums and two great collaboration albums. According to this, only 33% of the show will be Yeezus. That's more than I expected, but why not check out some of the other stuff he's playing.

It won't be too bad, I'd say. More likely to be quite a young crowd. My advice would be to not worry about it and it won't be a big deal.

Also, listen to something more than Yeezus. It's a great album, but he's got 5 other classic albums and two great collaboration albums. According to this, only 33% of the show will be Yeezus. That's more than I expected, but why not check out some of the other stuff he's playing.

Waiting to see the sets from Bonnaroo but he played a gig last week of 22 songs, only a few from Yeezus. Black Skinhead, Bound 2, New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves. On Sight, Send It Up, Hold My Liquor, I'm In It and I Am A God all dropped.
    Shame, cos the Yeezus tour in the US looked amazing, 30+ songs each night. Sounds like he's reverted to basics now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Won't be a rough crowd at this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Waiting to see the sets from Bonnaroo but he played a gig last week of 22 songs, only a few from Yeezus. Black Skinhead, Bound 2, New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves. On Sight, Send It Up, Hold My Liquor, I'm In It and I Am A God all dropped.
    Shame, cos the Yeezus tour in the US looked amazing, 30+ songs each night. Sounds like he's reverted to basics now.

Was that a festival set or his own show?

From the Yeezus setlists I saw, they seemed very long and not many festivals would allow him that. With this being a double headliner show in Dublin, I'd doubt we'll get the full 30+, unfortunately.

Was that a festival set or his own show?

From the Yeezus setlists I saw, they seemed very long and not many festivals would allow him that. With this being a double headliner show in Dublin, I'd doubt we'll get the full 30+, unfortunately.

It was a festival and he sticked to the same setlist last night at bonnaroo. I'd say it'll be better for the crowd and stick to the hits even though I'd prefer it to be more like the yeezus tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

What's the story with Marley Park and the pit setup is it similar to a Phoenix Park event? (i.e turn up early if you want a wristband) or is there a pit at all at Marley Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

DC10555 wrote: »
    What's the story with Marley Park and the pit setup is it similar to a Phoenix Park event? (i.e turn up early if you want a wristband) or is there a pit at all at Marley Park?

Yep, first come first served.

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    Yep, first come first served.

How early does this generally have to be or does it vary greatly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I take it there's no chance of anymore support acts being announced? Would love if the likes of Pusha T were there. I know he had his own gig last week but given his history with both Kanye and Pharrell I thought there might be an outside chance of him being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

I wouldn't expect many scumbags, if any. Kanye doesn't have that sort of fan-base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I take it there's no chance of anymore support acts being announced? Would love if the likes of Pusha T were there. I know he had his own gig last week but given his history with both Kanye and Pharrell I thought there might be an outside chance of him being there.

Doubt anyone else will be added. It's not an early show, gates at 5:30(I think), so not much room for any more acts. Wouldn't be surprised if Kanye brings out a few surprise guests for tracks he has features on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

I'm a rock/metal girl at heart, but would love to see Kanye, he's my one guilty pleasure. A very talented mofo. 'Yeezus' is amazing

Advertisement