Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanye West for Marley Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Xenji wrote: »
    Why, only took 25 mins from Balally on Sunday, some of the buses took over two hours to get to Marley.

Yup, I live beside the park and always get the luas home. From balally its 20 mins using sneaky locals shortcuts. 25 mins on the official route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Quality. Where was gold digger? Otherwise quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Quickie Review: By far one of the most disappointing gigs I've ever been to.

Crowd was abysmal and dangerously pissed. And it was not 'a few bad eggs wrecking it for everyone', everywhere I looked people were absolutely ****ed

Sound was ****e, onstage production crazy sloppy

Pharrell wooden, Kanye crazily over-indulgent

Very very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just back there. Had a good time overall, not much love for Pharrell but Kanye was pretty tight, thought the sound was a bit off at times but enjoyed the setlist - can't really level much criticism at the man himself because he ticked all the boxes for me. As always more is always better from MBDTF but you can't have it all.

Having said that, I really despair for some people who can't even go to a concert without getting completely hammered. I would have thought the low sales figures meant we would be getting die hard Kanye fans dominating but a lot were treating it as a drinking day out with some music in the background. I don't know if this is the norm or if it's just the new wave of young people coming through because as far as I'm concerned I certainly don't remember this level of drunken behaviour at concerts when I was younger.

Note that all of this was me with 3 or 4 pints on board... going to the Arctic Monkeys sober and if this is any measure of the crowd I'm in for a rough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Quality. Where was gold digger? Otherwise quality

He doesn't perform Golddigger anymore because..well he's married to one and it would seem a bit silly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The best concert I've ever been at. Absolutely loved it. He's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

We were there and left about 30 mins into Kanye set. Thought it was shockingly bad.

I thought it was incredible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

worst gig iv been to in all of my 15 years going to gigs!! what an absolute sham of a gig!! the sound was terrible, the on stage crew were and, the stage set up was terrible, a tiny screen with some fancy editing??? with all that hype kanye brings , that was just pure rubbish !! i just couldn't get over how badly run the whole thing was, I'm honestly shocked and never been so disappointed with a concert. iv seen him 4 times and yeezus was my favourite album by far, but this is just a p*ss take. with all the hassle and effort that was involved getting there , this gig was really not worth the steam off my p*Ss

it was just a drinking event for people who love 'All of the lights" and those casual hit listeners. the crowd was just full of actual knackers, pissed and off their faces. it was nothing like the crowds i seen at his last concerts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

was there a pit area at this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

A V A wrote: »
    the on stage crew were and, the stage set up was terrible, a tiny screen with some fancy editing???

I really don't know what you were expecting. It's a festival set, you're never really going to get much more than that. Didn't think the crowd was too bad, although we weren't too near the front, maybe it was worse up there. The size of the crowd really detracted from the show though. Got better as it got darker. Shame this wasn't in the o2 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Just in and all I can say is we payed money for some body we think was kanye west?? I honestly dont know if it was him, shocking weird but good??

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I thought that was a great gig. I saw absolutely no trouble whatsoever and I didn't see anyone completely and utterly hammered. Crowd seemed fairly okay too, although there was a lot of young teenagers there, for Pharrell most likely.

I enjoyed Pharrell and loved Kanye. It certainly would have been a better concert, for Kanye, if it was indoors but all things considered, it was a great concert!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I really don't know what you were expecting. It's a festival set, you're never really going to get much more than that. Didn't think the crowd was too bad, although we weren't too near the front, maybe it was worse up there. The size of the crowd really detracted from the show though. Got better as it got darker. Shame this wasn't in the o2 or something.

Thats not true , Arcade Fire had a great set up on Sunday as you got the total package of the stage show

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Thats not true , Arcade Fire had a great set up on Sunday as you got the total package of the stage show

There are exceptions, but most acts will cut their stage show down a lot for a festival tour. We were never going to get anything like Watch The Throne or the US leg of the Yeezus tour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Of course, if this was in the 02, it would be a great show, but this was not a festival gig, arcade fire had a great set up by the looks of it anyway so I call BS on that logic. and i know arctic monkeys will have a stage presence/set up too for their gig. to me, this was an easy run of gigs, over hyped from his U.S yeezus tour, bound to cash in on the media and internet hype, nice little earner for him.

I would have preferred for him to do a yeezus european tour with his U.S stage show and not this half arse pathetic set up he had.

and pharrel is a producer now, his performing days are over thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

There is being a knobhead.
    There is being a prïck.
    Then there is the guards outside the concert,biggest bunch of actual wánkers i have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Huell wrote: »
    There is being a knobhead.
    There is being a prïck.
    Then there is the guards outside the concert,biggest bunch of actual wánkers i have seen.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

Going to Kings of Leon on Friday, what would be best from of transport to & from Marlay Park. Probably looking at booking the marathon travel bus in advance

How so?

I'd say they took his drink or something.

I wonder how much Pharrell was paid for plastering the Adidas logo on the arse of his jeans , and CHANEL across his runners?

I don't know why people are giving out about the crowd, I saw no trouble at all which is unusual for a rap gig.

• Advertisement

Id go 16 again but if you dont get on in o connell street could struggle, 10min walk and 10buses loading amd going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

macheda wrote: »
    Going to Kings of Leon on Friday, what would be best from of transport to & from Marlay Park. Probably looking at booking the marathon travel bus in advance

I live close and I saw people wandering all over the place last night. My first thought was that 99% of those eejits must have a smart phone!

Anyway it would help to know where your 'from' is. Generically:

The 16 bus stops outside.
    The 14 bus stops about 300 meters away
    The Luas is about a 20 minute walk away
    Driving and parking isnt an issue, its the suburbs, lots of parking on street.

Hit up dublinbus.ie, and google maps for the walking. It's easy to get lost in the housing estates.

Did anyone get the 16 into the city after, and if so did it take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Did anyone get the 16 into the city after, and if so did it take long?

Just to add to this, did anyone get the marathon sports bus that was heading to Marley Park/custom house quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

I live close and I saw people wandering all over the place last night. My first thought was that 99% of those eejits must have a smart phone!

Anyway it would help to know where your 'from' is. Generically:

The 16 bus stops outside.
    The 14 bus stops about 300 meters away
    The Luas is about a 20 minute walk away
    Driving and parking isnt an issue, its the suburbs, lots of parking on street.

Hit up dublinbus.ie, and google maps for the walking. It's easy to get lost in the housing estates.

We are staying in the Spencer Hotel (formerly known as Clarion) IFSC so we are only a few mins from the Marathon Bus pick up at custom house so thats why i am leaning towards that.

Just to add to previous posters. What was the experience of getting Marathon bus or 16 bus after the gig??

Just in case anyone is wondering about the luas, I walked to it and it was about 20 minutes, it was lovely and quiet on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

MattD wrote: »
    Kanye crazily over-indulgent

No sh*t!

You will tell your grandkids about seeing Kanye West in a field!! Muppet

No gold digger?? What up with that

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Totally disagree with this statement. I wasnt at the gig but it wasnt a festival. It was a concert and the production should have been at a high standard. They charge enough and make enough money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Just to add to this, did anyone get the marathon sports bus that was heading to Marley Park/custom house quay?

I got the Marathon bus after the harrowing experience of trying to get home from Arcade Fire on Sunday. €9 return, left at 6.30 and arrived just before Pharrell started (7.30?). Got back into town around 12. It was fine, probably would have gone with public transport if I'd known the crowds would be so much smaller than Sunday.

The gig itself was ok, not the most interested crowd and he lost them a few times, particularly during the never-ending autotune coda at the end of Runaway. Sound wasn't great overall. The staging and setup was a little cheap too, especially compared to the Watch the Throne gig or even Arcade Fire, but still some good moments.

Advertisement