Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It's for the good of the people that they observe at least one day of abstention from the buying of alcohol. Such wilful blindness to the majesty of religious diktat is abominable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Martina82 wrote: »
    I find extremely depressing to see people lining up to buy drink on Holy Thursday.

Why?

catallus wrote: »
    It's for the good of the people that they observe at least one day of abstention from the buying of alcohol. Such wilful blindness to the majesty of religious diktat is abominable.

I agree but people should be able to choose what day to abstain, not have it imposed by a nanny state law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Chill bro, we heard you the first 4 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm glad I live somewhere where religious nonsense does not dictate how I spend my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm glad I live somewhere where religious nonsense does not dictate how I spend my day.

Ditto. Bank holiday and pubs open, best of both worlds. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

jester77 wrote: »

If you live in Hamburg then the shops don't open on a Sunday do they? Might have something to do with laws passed for religious purposes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you live in Hamburg then the shops don't open on a Sunday do they? Might have something to do with laws passed for religious purposes. ;)

Shops closed on Sunday has nothing to do with religion. It is a federal law that recognises Sunday as a day of rest so that families get to spend 1 day of the week together. Lots of shops are opened anyway, so it is not a very strict law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

cson wrote: »
    [A] "Can ye not stay off it for one day of the year"

"The State is supposed to be secular; its absolute bullshít this is still a rule"

[C] "Sure just stock up on cans and have a house party"

[D] "Atari Shaguar"

Every reply to this thread will invariably be a derivative of one of the above.

Except this post; which is all of the above. :pac:

Jinx.

You missed out on the whole athiest angle there OP. Usually good for 3 pages of back and forth
    I get the day off because it's a privilage day in my cushy public service job!

\o/

Marty Mc Fly, come back to the future, priviledge days were done away with 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Plazaman wrote: »
    You missed out on the whole athiest angle there OP. Usually good for 3 pages of back and forth

Marty Mc Fly, come back to the future, priviledge days were done away with 3 years ago.

Well whatever they're called, it's an extra day off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I could never figure out which was was more pathetic.

The fact that the fcuking church still dictates what goes on in this country or people not being able to survive one day without alcohol.
    the church still dictateing what goes on in ireland of course, believing the pubs should be able to open on good friday or whenever they see fit doesn't make one a raving alcoholic or someone who can't survive without drink, saturday is my drinking day whenever i do drink (which isn't much now) but to me, apart from a day off for the few lucky bar staff that get it the good friday closing serves no purpose, all it proves is restrictions just cause people to drink more to rebel against them, pathetic? maybe, but it is what it is

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Clifford Byron

Could we not just agree for one year to not bother with this thread?
    Want a drink? Fine, head up to the north. But don't post about it on Boards...

We could call it 'the Belfast agreement', or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Martina82 wrote: »
    I find extremely depressing to see people lining up to buy drink on Holy Thursday.

Agreed. I've already bought mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

You'd miss it if it was gone though. It means people are forced to think outside the box and organise different things for the night. Lots of gigs etc on this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the church still dictateing what goes on in ireland of course, believing the pubs should be able to open on good friday or whenever they see fit doesn't make one a raving alcoholic or someone who can't survive without drink, saturday is my drinking day whenever i do drink (which isn't much now) but to me, apart from a day off for the few lucky bar staff that get it the good friday closing serves no purpose, all it proves is restrictions just cause people to drink more to rebel against them, pathetic? maybe, but it is what it is

is the church really still advocating this? in a parliament with plenty of publicans, how come this hasn't been turned over? there's a lot more social issues which the church have a more vocal stance on which they are losing.
    i can't remember the last time hearing the Good Friday pubs closing issue being raised in the Dáil. maybe if people contacted their local TD it might be brought up. they don't seem too bothered about it at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iDave wrote: »
    So is fish really meat?
    Barnacle Geese or Bombay Duck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Oh God, I really need a drink, haven't had one since the weekend before Lent:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Lets get the ball rolling on this one, in short there are two strands to the Good Friday pubs are closed threads.

1. The pubs are closed for one day, you can survive with out them

2. I want the pubs open and not dictated to by people who believe in sky fairies

(standard link to add value to thread)

tl;dr

1. Pub closed, Good Friday
    2. WTF its 2014, I want drink

oh, discuss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Chorcai wrote: »
    Lets get the ball rolling on this one, in short there are two strands to the Good Friday pubs are closed threads.

2. I want the pubs open and not dictated to by people who believe in sky fairies

tl;dr

oh, discuss...

Go to the shop early on Thursday because the crowds queuing up to get the gargle in will be savage so they will, Buying it like it's not being made anymore:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

This country goes barmy for the drink. Quite sickening. Can ye not survive one day dry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

*Forgetting that Good Friday was upon him, he made his journey to Lidl to buy 400 cans of Gulackpilsen to see him through the day*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

tl;dr

oh, discuss...

Thanks for the reminder to fill up my car on Thursday with booze...you know..just incase like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You could not get a drink in a pub on Paddys Day until they changed the law in 1960

Didn't we have this very same thread last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

i'm sure there are alot of pubs (winkWink) opened on Good Friday.
    If you want one, you will find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

tl;dr

oh, discuss...

It's gas, pubs are closing down daily because of a lack of customers and on one of the two days a year they're closed everyone wants to go... Just get a few cans and stay at home for one day, shur ye'll be grand.

Indeed we did.

Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good Friday brings out the alcoholics in some people, they NEED their drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I didn't see it :o

• Advertisement

I didn't see it :o

That'll be the drink :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This country goes barmy for the drink. Quite sickening. Can ye not survive one day dry?

Yes. Yesterday was a dry day, as was Sunday. Today will probably be one also. Friday however I will be attending a party.

Ranchu wrote: »
    You'd miss it if it was gone though.
    I wouldn't

That's not the point, it's opposition to the nanny state laws.
    It's also a long weekend, why not have a drink?
    If you're religious, then don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The heart longs what the heart is legally unable to purchase for 24 hours, with the exception of trains and hotels.

Atheist Capitalists something something!

yeah, because people want to not be dictated to by people who believe in an invisible man they must be a bunch of raging alcoholics, grow up

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

yeah, because people want to not be dictated to by people who believe in an invisible man they must be a bunch of raging alcoholics, grow up

Maybe you're the one who should grow up if you insist on calling religious faith "believing in an invisible man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

RobertKK wrote: »
    Good Friday brings out the alcoholics in some people, they NEED their drink.

And they need it from a bar, not their own fridge!

This is about the only quirky law I can think of that we have that's essentially harmless. I like it for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

C14N wrote: »

This is about the only quirky law I can think of that we have that's essentially harmless. I like it for that alone.

Can't argue with a day off work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Besides the fact that I have a match the following day, I won't be partaking in the by now annual Good Friday house-party fad because if I want to drink at home I do so out of my own volition, not because some out-dated religious law dictates that pubs remain closed for a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Maybe you're the one who should grow up if you insist on calling religious faith "believing in an invisible man"

Well have you seen him lately ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Anyone have any idea if any clubs or venues are opening after midnight on Holy Thursday? Whelan's are still advertising Zebra, but like me they mightn't have copped that it's Holy Thursday.

Subutai wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if any clubs or venues are opening after midnight on Holy Thursday? Whelan's are still advertising Zebra, but like me they mightn't have copped that it's Holy Thursday.

Well they can stay open right? They'll just have a midnight last call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Ah good friday my annual trip to the cinema.

• Advertisement

C14N wrote: »

its not harmless, its harmful, its stopping a particular industry from trading causing them to lose money, stopping them from trading and making money while other industries can is a form of discrimination

its not harmless, its harmful, its stopping a particular industry from trading causing them to lose money, stopping them from trading and making money while other industries can is a form of discrimination

This is nonsense: are you against opening hours being restricted too? Or age restrictions on the selling of alcohol?

Whoa there Miss Rand, it's only for a day and for a tiny proportion of the consumer base for the drinks companies. And if this was really harming the pubs you can guarantee they would organise to have it overturned. As it is it's basically an old law left on the books because changing it is more effort than it's worth. It's not exactly case the Vatican really care that much about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Seems reasonable. Jesus is supposedly always with us yet you can't see him. What does that make him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This is nonsense: are you against opening hours being restricted too? Or age restrictions on the selling of alcohol?

As a bartender, I must say, I'm against restrictions on opening hours AND on the Consumption of alcohol. I don't want a bunch of kids in the pub, but if parents want to let a child have a drink or two with dinner in a bar/restaurant they should be allowed.

Why should pubs HAVE to close ever? I finish work at either 1230 or 230. I'd love to have a bar I could go to for a quick few at that time before bed. And while I can go to Late bars on weekdays, on weekends there's nowhere I can legally go and that sucks balls. I can always find a place to serve me, but I'd like it to be nice and legal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement