Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA

Options
  • 07-04-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I know that you must all get bored of reading GPA queries but I really am a bit lost and would appreciate any advice you could give me.

I am currently completing my final year after having to take a leave of absence due to a death in my family. My grades suffered toward the end of second year, and my GPA has gone to a 2.5, which is a low second class honour. I am trying my hardest to get a 2.1, which means I need to raise this to 3.08.

My question is, is this even possible? It seems like too big a gap to bridge in two semesters, but some clarification would be great.

Thanks guys :) x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

We'd need to know what course you're doing, or at least what years count towards your degree, and if you have completed any of them, what you have gotten.

So, for example.. if you're in Semester 2 of Arts in final year, we'd need your -
    - 2nd year GPA
    - Semester 1 3rd year GPA

When you say your GPA is 2.5, I don't know what years/stages you're counting. That could be your 2nd year one, or the one from last Christmas, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

Hey OP,

On a slightly different note - did you apply for extenuating circumstances for the grades that you felt suffered? If it was due to a death in your family, that's a valid reason to apply. I'm not sure how long ago they were, but it might be worth looking into.

With regard as to whether it's possible, a 2:1 is GPA 3.08 and I'm assuming (based on how you word your post) that that's taken over 2 years.. so 2.5 is your current. The 3.08 will basically be made of the GPA for 2 years added and then divided by 2. By that, I'd estimate you need to get around 3.66 overall this year so that you hit 3.08 on the button for the two combined/ final degree GPA. (Bearing in mind, I'm not a maths student, so maybe I'm wrong... I'm sure if I am someone will correct me). In conclusion! If you work hard, and depending on your subjects/modules, I think you can do it! :)

Advertisement