Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a mortage in Dublin, but I but work in the UK

Options
  • 07-04-2014 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a property as an investment in the next 6 months.
    I currently work in the uk but would want a house in Dublin.

Would I have to seek a mortgage from a broker/company in Dublin or can I get a sterling mortgage for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Misticles, If purchasing a property in Ireland you must get a mortgage in Ireland.
    Misticles wrote: »

Would I have to seek a mortgage from a broker/company in Dublin or can I get a sterling mortgage for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Trish56 wrote: »
    Misticles, If purchasing a property in Ireland you must get a mortgage in Ireland.

Thanks, I thought you had to get one through your bank ( mines a uk one )but I was told today that this isn't true.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks, I thought you had to get one through your bank ( mines a uk one )but I was told today that this isn't true.

If they will lend to you for an Irish property then go for it. You should ask them and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

The only time I've ever heard of people securing UK mortgages for Irish properties is where they owned a UK property already and borrowed against the equity in that.

As far as I'm aware, the UK and Northern Ireland banks cannot take security over a property in the Republic of Ireland - and that even goes for the likes of Ulster Bank who have operations on both sides of the border in Ireland.

I spoke to EBS- and they said they only provide mortgages to those who work and live in the Republic of Ireland.

Has anyone any ideas who could help me on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

I spoke to EBS- and they said they only provide mortgages to those who work and live in the Republic of Ireland.

I think PTSB have a rule where people such as yourself can get a mortgage but the rule is as follows:

"Available to Non-Resident borrowers (Irish & British citizens) who are earning more than €100,000 (or the equivalent in their local currency) either individually or jointly."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Yes Permanent tsb will consider subject to the following :
    • Loan to value 60%
    • salary/Income must be equivalent to €100,000
    • available to Irish or UK Citizens only
    • Confirmation of rental income will be required.
    Majority of lenders will consider however there is no specific criteria and they are quite selective and will consider on a case by case basis.

Trish56 wrote: »
    Yes Permanent tsb will consider subject to the following :
    • Loan to value 60%
    • salary/Income must be equivalent to €100,000
    • available to Irish or UK Citizens only
    • Confirmation of rental income will be required.
    Majority of lenders will consider however there is no specific criteria and they are quite selective and will consider on a case by case basis.

The salary part rules me out I'm afraid :(
    I didn't think it would be difficult.

Advertisement