Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsidence causing sagging floors

Options
  • 07-04-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm bidding on a house and I know I clearly need to get an engineer's report but I am trying to figure out if it's even worth spending €400/€500 on this report if the renovations are totally outside my budget.

The main issue is that a lot of the downstairs floors are uneven/sagging/sloping in parts. The EA reckons that it is caused by subsidence that happened 40/50 years ago but that no further damage is ongoing. I don't see any major cracks in the walls and ceilings. Although there is a water leak in the ceiling. The EA thinks I could take up all the flooring/architrave/skirting etc, level all the floors with concrete and trim doors and rehang. Provided this fix would suffice and underpinning or something more serious was required what kind of ballpark would I expect for this (excluding laying new flooring)? The total floor area downstairs is about 900 sq.ft.

The only only sign of subsidence that is obvious to me is that there are big cracks and holes in the path and paving in the garden.

I'd appreciate any opinions,
    Kaz

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Can you post any pictures YOU took (not the daft.ie add) thanks

Advertisement