Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Cinema Carpark - Mod Warning #29

Options
  • 07-04-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I know that if i park in the back of the douglas cinema (beyond Dominoes) I have to put a ticket on my car, indicating that I am at the cinema so i wont be clamped.
    If I park in the front of the car park I have to pay so that I dont get clamped.

Does anyone know why there is a camper van with someone living in it parked at the from of the cinema car park. At first I though it was someone who was involved in the clamping and was keeping an eye out for illegally parked car but I dont think so.
    They use the wing mirrors of the camper van to hang out damp clothes!

Is the van used for spotting possible clamping targets or is it squattors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Nope think it is just either travellers or tinkers.. I know there were two down by Monaghan road and they moved then down to the Marina. I think they might be the same group. have never spoken to them but they seemed grand they left some rubbish but at least they put it in bags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It was apparently on 96fm this morning, they said last week they would have the story on Monday morning, but I forgot to listen!
    It's a silly place to park, they must be looking for attention parking right by the road,

Edit: and where are they getting power from? Leisure batteries only last a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Funny how the clampers won't go near them :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

kub wrote: »
    Funny how the clampers won't go near them :rolleyes:.

Thats what I was thinking also...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Absolutely pathetic that they won't clamp the van. This is absolutely grating on me for some reason. I doubt the Gardaí want anything to do with this either. Call them and they'll ignore you if they think its tinkers who are causing trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

God ye must all lead very sheltered lives.

Travellers, or tinkers as ye put it, don't live in camper vans for starters.

If ye want to throw wild assumptions out there, it's far more likely that this is someone who's lost their home.
    There are plenty of people sleeping in cars and vans in car parks and industrial estates all over Cork, and elsewhere.
    Absolutely pathetic that they won't clamp the van. This is absolutely grating on me for some reason. I doubt the Gardaí want anything to do with this either. Call them and they'll ignore you if they think its tinkers who are causing trouble.

The camper van is on private property so it's nobody's business but the occupier's. It's definitely nothing to do with you.

If you rang the Gardai to complain about this you'd be told, quite rightly, where to go for two reasons:
    1. Trespass is a civil matter
    2. It's none of your business

It's the occupier's decision whether or not to allow the camper van to stay on his private property, and whether or not to get his clampers to clamp the van. Why don't you contact him if the situation gets your knickers in such a knot?

Anyway, the big flaw in your logic is that a clamped vehicle CAN'T MOVE, which would probably suit the owner just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

very defensive response Dangel4x4, calm down.

very defensive response Dangel4x4, calm down.

Defensive? Hardly.

Just responding to some people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    God ye must all lead very sheltered lives.

Travellers, or tinkers as ye put it, don't live in camper vans for starters.

If ye want to throw wild assumptions out there, it's far more likely that this is someone who's lost their home.
    There are plenty of people sleeping in cars and vans in car parks and industrial estates all over Cork, and elsewhere.

The camper van is on private property so it's nobody's business but the occupier's. It's definitely nothing to do with you.

If you rang the Gardai to complain about this you'd be told, quite rightly, where to go for two reasons:
    1. Trespass is a civil matter
    2. It's none of your business

It's the occupier's decision whether or not to allow the camper van to stay on his private property, and whether or not to get his clampers to clamp the van. Why don't you contact him if the situation gets your knickers in such a knot?

Anyway, the big flaw in your logic is that a clamped vehicle CAN'T MOVE, which would probably suit the owner just fine.

Criminal trespass in Ireland can be liable to a fine of up to €4000 or 1 month's imprisonment or both.

It is criminal offence for anyone to enter, occupy or bring anything onto privately owned land or land owned by local authorities if that act is likely to
    Substantially damage the land
    Substantially damage any amenity on the land or prevent any person from making reasonable use of that amenity
    Render the land or any amenity on it unsanitary or unsafe
    Substantially interfere with the land or an amenity on it.

evilivor wrote: »
    Criminal trespass in Ireland can be liable to a fine of up to €4000 or 1 month's imprisonment or both.

It is criminal offence for anyone to enter, occupy or bring anything onto privately owned land or land owned by local authorities if that act is likely to
    Substantially damage the land
    Substantially damage any amenity on the land or prevent any person from making reasonable use of that amenity
    Render the land or any amenity on it unsanitary or unsafe
    Substantially interfere with the land or an amenity on it.

What legislation is that please?

• Advertisement

Yep pop a chill pill!!! Doesn't matter what they are they still in fairness should be removed or moved on. I have no doubt if I was to go in and do it they would have me moved on like a shot..

I was saying travellers as in such that is what they would be they are travelling on from one spot to another!! and also I have seen them many a time talking to settled travellers that live close by us.. I have nothing against travellers except the way that they seem to get away with a lot..

Mite try and listen to the play back on 96fm see what was said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

why would guards get involved on trespassing on private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ruberix1982

I pass it a few times a day, this morning I was sitting in traffic when a 4/5 year old girl was at the back of it with the trousers down urinating in full view of traffic and with two men walking by. I rang the cinema who said they couldn't do anything about it, rang Apcoa who said they would sent out a van, rang the boys in blue who said they'd follow up. The child was unattended and they said that shouldn't be going on at all.

Felt so sorry for the kid, cold, no loo roll, no privacy, no mum or dad with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

What legislation is that please?

It's the 2002 Housing Act though, I believe, trespass has been a criminal offence for quite some time, certainly, under the 1994 Public Order Act, it is an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass on any building or the curtilage thereof in such a manner as causes or is likely to cause fear in another person.

I presume you were cognisant of all that since you're "responding to some people who don't have a clue what they're talking about."

that's bad form alright with the little kid, god knows who would be watching and it is no place for a kid... Just tried to listen on line to the 96fm chat but tisnt up yet

Defensive? Hardly.

Just responding to some people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

It appears that you are the person who doesn't have a clue.

Dbu wrote: »
    why would guards get involved on trespassing on private property?

See evilivor's post. If I set up a tent and started to live in your back garden, would you not phone the Gardaí ? What exactly would you do ?

I got onto a local CLLR and they have just been in touch with the guards also.

Lots of talk about 96FM and laws etc. Did 96fm talk about what was being done? Have people actually complained? Have they been approached to move?

Milly33 wrote: »
    I was saying travellers as in such that is what they would be they are travelling on from one spot to another!!

Yeah I know what you meant.
    Milly33 wrote: »
    I have nothing against travellers except the way that they seem to get away with a lot..

A Sweeping statement based on no facts whatsoever. You think they seem to get away with a lot?

evilivor wrote: »
    It's the 2002 Housing Act...

I presume you were cognisant :eek: of all that since you're "responding to some people who don't have a clue what they're talking about."

Section 24 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2002?

And how does that apply here? Are the people in question squatters?

Sections 11 and 13 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 deal with trespassing in order to commit a criminal offence or interfere with property.

Again how does that apply here? Do you have evidence of a criminal offence being committed?
    It appears that you are the person who doesn't have a clue.

Ha ha. Rattled. Explain please. What is it exactly I don't have a clue about?

Ha ha. Rattled. Explain please. What is it exactly I don't have a clue about?

Everything

• Advertisement

Man forums are intense.

PS: The Campervan is not there now. Just heard. Not sure if it'll be back though.

Man forums are intense.

PS: The Campervan is not there now. Just heard. Not sure if it'll be back though.

Lets hope not.

Everything

Good comeback. You should join a debating team or something. :)

I would be happy if it was replaced by Dangel4x4 and AugustusMinimus publicly trying to get the last word though. Just a thought!

A Sweeping statement based on no facts whatsoever. You think they seem to get away with a lot?

Oh dear!! Put it this way we live quite close to a group of travellers they feck their rubbish wherever they want. They have had two dogs so far that have got kilt on the road as they leave them run out on it, then they dumped the dead dogs in the neighbours bins. Guards have been called and nought has been done. They tip anything from couches to floor boards to beds across the road and the council still pick it up and they know dame well where it comes from. Ah jaysus you can go on forever, im sorry but it is a well known fact they get away with a lot more stuff than I would.

Now I will say in fairness to them they seemed to have copped on a lot lately, no more shouting and screaming but still they do get away with it because they pull the whole traveller card.. Different rules whether you want to admit it or not.

This isn't a chat bout travellers though you should start a new thread for that. I cant get the jist of what the outcome was on the 96fm chat on facebook. Was it that they were a family who could not find a home or what was the story

96fm listen back - 7th April - Hour 3 - Around 30 mins. PJ Coogan went down and interviewed them in the Campervan

He says 4 of them live in the van. They were asked about why they were not clamped, he said they have no choice and that they are living in terrible conditions. He says they are also paying money in the machine to stay there. He says his mother had to stop paying rent on her council house because the council wouldn't fix it. They must have asked her to leave I guess.

He said the topaz garage are letting them use the toilet facilities. He said they bring away their rubbish.

They said all they want is a 2 bedroom house but not in the north side due to family feuds.

He said he's tried finding private rented accommodation but when he views them with his mother he has to ask her to stay quiet so that they don't hear her traveler accent.

So that's the 96fm side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I thought it was made clear in the OP that other users of the carpark are required to display tickets, or punitive measures will be applied.

This particular vehicle was either i) not subject to those rules or ii) punitive measures were not applied for some reason.

Evidently, the law/rules in this specific incident were not being applied equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jaysus - are some of you are having a bad day ! - stay on topic and cut the sniping please.

Really would make you wonder in that case, with the amount of spare housing around why they cannot give them a place to stay in. There are so many empty places.. Perhaps the interview will highlight what they are going through and might get the council off their arses and help them

• Advertisement

HE said the council said a lot of houses are unsuitable for living in and that they cannot afford to do anything to them at the moment.

Advertisement