Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon's Place Cinnamon Buns - Secret Recipe?

• 07-04-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Now that we have long put to bed the mystery of E&C Chicken Wings, I feel the need to get to the bottom of another of Dublin's great staples, the legendary cinnamon buns from Simon's in the Georges Street Arcade.

Anyone who's had them will know what I speak of - Sweet, chewy, somewhere between flaky and doughy, no unnecessary icing on top, and where the sugar on the bottom has turned to just that perfect level of sticky that you could press it up against the wall and it'd stay there. Also famously non-uniform in appearance.

One of these bad boys:

thumb_600.jpg

Has anyone got a recipe that is even close to delivering this level of awesomeness? (Or access to Simon's secrets?) Mega kudos for significant leads...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I would very much like that too....

I made Franzbrotchen a couple of months ago and they were similar to this - bloody beautiful!
    http://rubyandthekitchen.co.uk/2013/10/15/franzbrotchen/ this was the recipe I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

I too am obsessed with these buns, and would love a recipe. Google gives me nothing! They are not too flaky or "danish" in consistency, more a firm sconey mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 UniqueBakes

I have been a big fan of Simon's cinnamon scrolls for many years (as well as his sandwiches) and believe that the secret to these delicious scrolls is making them with lots of butter using a rough puff pastry method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I saw a Barefoot Contessa episode today where she was making cinnamon buns in muffin tins using puff pastry instead of yeast dough and they looked pretty similar to your picture above. I'm just getting into her recipes but I think there's quite a number of them on the Food Network (?), maybe worth a look? Nothing is going to be exact but some recipe will come pretty close and those buns I watched her make looked pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭seablue

I have eaten many of those buns but have no interest in knowing the recipe. I am never going to make them at home.

The pleasure is in going into town and eating a bun with coffee while nattering to my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

seablue wrote: »
    I have eaten many of those buns but have no interest in knowing the recipe. I am never going to make them at home.

The pleasure is in going into town and eating a bun with coffee while nattering to my friend.

I'd say that's true for most of us but who knows how many different reasons there are for wanting to make something special at home instead? The distance that must be travelled to sample again the garlicky, cheesey biscuits in Red Lobster for instance!

I'm going to try Ina Garten's recipe anyway, even though I've never sampled Simon's cinnamon scrolls..........I'll let you know how they turned out!

Advertisement