Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this insect?

• 07-04-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Saw this walking along the ground on Saturday (Co. Dublin). Nearly an inch long, I'd say. Stops and raises its tail (like a scorpion) and then moves on.

Anyone any idea what it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Saw this walking along the ground on Saturday (Co. Dublin). Nearly an inch long, I'd say. Stops and raises its tail (like a scorpion) and then moves on.

I don't know myself but I you called it/saved it what I would've - 'A Thingy' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

It's a Rove beetle.
    Maybe this one: Staphylinus caesareus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Thanks Rancid. I think you're spot on there. Had a read up. Interesting critter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Do they have that look about them to deter predators.
    They almost look wasp like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

From what I read, some of that species are venomous and predators but also eat tree sap and rotted mushroom and stuff.

Not sure why the markings but they do look a bit scary alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but have a quick what is this insect photo for you guys :D

DSCF9323.jpg

Thats his head, antenna and two front legs. there is a third leg wrapped underneath thats about the same size. Just curious as I ate the rest of him :mad: andhave no idea what he is. I can take another shot if that would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

That first rove beetle is so cool. I know there are looooads of different rove species but I've never seen one mimicking a wasp (at least that's what it looks like). Are they common enough in Ireland?

The second one looks like it could be either some kind of long-horned beetle, or maybe a weird shield bug.
    It's hard to tell as the abdomen has been by Danonino haha.
    Stick up a picture of the head if you still have it mate. Looks like a cool creature anyway.

Advertisement