Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport

• 07-04-2014 1:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone can help, I retained my Irish passport and its has expired. I filled in the renewal application. When I was visiting a sick relative in Ireland I got the application signed and stamped by a bank there. However when I took it the embassy in London they accepted it and I paid the applicable fee in February.
    On chasing the renewal application it was returned to me due it being signed in Ireland as it was not my place of residency. I should have got signed in the UK.
    Does the application also have to be stamped by an organization. When I took it into my bank in London they said they do not do it now as the rules have changed. Also the police station said the same. I cannot get through the embassy on the phone at all to query this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Maura74 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can help, I retained my Irish passport and its has expired. I filled in the renewal application. When I was visiting a sick relative in Ireland I got the application signed and stamped by a bank there. However when I took it the embassy in London they accepted it and I paid the applicable fee in February.
    On chasing the renewal application it was returned to me due it being signed in Ireland as it was not my place of residency. I should have got signed in the UK.
    Does the application also have to be stamped by an organization. When I took it into my bank in London they said they do not do it now as the rules have changed. Also the police station said the same. I cannot get through the embassy on the phone at all to query this.

I got it done once at the consulate itself in London. A right pain but it worked. You can also go to a solicitors office to get it done or a notary for example (apart from directors I believe and accountants etc.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

enda1 wrote: »
    I got it done once at the consulate itself in London. A right pain but it worked. You can also go to a solicitors office to get it done or a notary for example (apart from directors I believe and accountants etc.)

Thanks for your reply, I went into bank in UK and they said they do not sign now also the police station said the same as the post office. I go into these places every week and they know me save for the police station . I went into the police station and the other places as they would have a stamp as well and they were all on the acceptable list received from the Irish embassy.

I think I will have to go to my GP but my appointment is weeks away but it seems there nothing else I can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Maura74 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I went into bank in UK and they said they do not sign now also the police station said the same as the post office. I go into these places every week and they know me save for the police station . I went into the police station and the other places as they would have a stamp as well and they were all on the acceptable list received from the Irish embassy.

I think I will have to go to my GP but my appointment is weeks away but it seems there nothing else I can do.

Well like I said, you can go to a solicitors and definitely get it done. You do have to pay of course. I'd similar issues with bank and police station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

enda1 wrote: »
    Well like I said, you can go to a solicitors and definitely get it done. You do have to pay of course. I'd similar issues with bank and police station.

Thanks again, I was beginning to feel paranoid because the places I went to would not sign for me and now I know it is not just me.
    I think a fee is payable to GP as well but I will check with solicitors and get it done tomorrow.

A lot has changed in 10 years. Also, I think bank staff and post office staff as well as police station are reluctant to put their name down on the form in case anything should go wrong and they will be held responsible. Or maybe a fee payable to them would change their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

Hi OP

Do you have a finance director or accountant you work with? The finance director I work with signed mine & I had no problems. It's totally different to at home in Ireland even though it's an Irish passport you need to follow UK verification processes.

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The list of approved witnesses in the UK is much bigger than in Ireland - imagine having to find a priest or garda. While bank staff might be told not to sign them for people in off the street, if you know an appropriately graded bank official (?manager grade) or an accountant (doesn't have to be a finance director) or a lawyer or doctor, it's quite easy. If you don't know any of these, I can see it's a bit of a hassle.

Advertisement