Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

six month old waking through the night

Options
  • 07-04-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

My daughter started sleeping through the night at about six weeks. Starting at 4 months she began waking through the night and she's still doing it. She's breastfed and when she wakes she cries hysterically until she can nurse back to sleep. Since this has begun we have been co-sleeping but I really don't want to continue it as O don't sleep well when she's in the bed. Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Unfortunately I would never expect a 6 month old to sleep through the night, if they are waking they are waking for a reason.

It's just something you have to go through.

Keep her well fed during the day and rested and she should sleep longer at night but might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

January wrote: »
    Unfortunately I would never expect a 6 month old to sleep through the night, if they are waking they are waking for a reason.

It's just something you have to go through.

Keep her well fed during the day and rested and she should sleep longer at night but might not.

It's not that I expect her to sleep through the night, but she wakes every two hours (sometimes more often). It seems a lot?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    It's not that I expect her to sleep through the night, but she wakes every two hours (sometimes more often). It seems a lot?!

So the usual... is she cold? Hungry? Sore? Teething could be the main one at 6 months.

January wrote: »
    So the usual... is she cold? Hungry? Sore? Teething could be the main one at 6 months.

She is teething on and off but I don't think that's the root cause. Room is warm and she doesn't eat much when she wakes, it seems more of a comfort thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

waking every 2 hours at 6 months if she previously slept through could be caused by a few things.
    Hunger,teething and growth spurt being the 2 that come to mind for me.
    Have you tried her with any new foods recently?

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    waking every 2 hours at 6 months if she previously slept through could be caused by a few things.
    Hunger,teething and growth spurt being the 2 that come to mind for me.
    Have you tried her with any new foods recently?

Sorry should have been more specific - she's 22 weeks. Haven't started on solids yet.

Advertisement