Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog with a cough

• 07-04-2014 2:39pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi guys, my collie (Rusty) has a had a sort of a cough over the last week or so. He starts as if he is going to vomit but then its more of a cough. Very sporadic and he has never had this before.

he's 12, although he is very fit and healthy. He isn't around other dogs, other than our own, is never walked with other dogs, or been in kennels.

If it hasn't improved I'll take him to the vet when I'm off later in the week.

Any tips to improve it in the meantime? Anyone found honey useful?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I find manuka honey brilliant. a child's cough medicine has been known to help if it is kennel cough, but maybe give your vet a ring, and get phone advice, they won't want him in the waiting room anyway if it is KC, as it is so contagious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

When was the last time he was dewormed angeldaisy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

anniehoo wrote: »
    When was the last time he was dewormed angeldaisy?

Probably around 3mths ago

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Probably around 3mths ago

Ok. While it could be a few things at age 12 (hopefully it's only a mild resp infection) it would be worth dosing him with a fenbendazole based wormer e.g. Panacur now if you can. We've had 4 Lungworm cases in over the last few weeks (pre patent period 6-10 weeks) and one of the first clinical signs is coughing (some had it some didn't).

Hopefully it's not that but it'd be no harm in dosing him anyway until you can get him to the vet.

Great, I'll do that, thanks. fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

I think it's not safe to give fenbendazole to collie type dogs, op please check this before giving it to your dog

juniord wrote: »
    I think it's not safe to give fenbendazole to collie type dogs, op please check this before giving it to your dog

It's Ivermectin that's not safe, fendendazole is perfectly fine for collies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Parazole is another fenbendazole product, and commonly available from petshops and chemists. What is the duration of treatment for lungworm anniehoo? Five days at 1ml per kg bodyweight? Angeldaisy you'll need a syringe to measure it. My guys will lap it up if mixed in well with yoghurt or mushed sardines in tomato sauce.

boomerang wrote: »
    Parazole is another fenbendazole product, and commonly available from petshops and chemists. What is the duration of treatment for lungworm anniehoo? Five days at 1ml per kg bodyweight? .
    We use Norworm sachets but same principle yeah. If diagnosed with Lungworm it's a single dose for 5 days in a row. This is the treatment though and not just a routine dosage if you know what I mean.
    wrote:
    Routine treatment of Adult Dogs: Administer 1g Norworm
    granules 220mg/g per 2.2kg (5 lbs) bodyweight as a single
    dose (= 100mg fenbendazole per kg bodyweight). The dose
    should be administered by mixing into the feed.
    Practical dosage recommendations:
    2.2 to 4.4kg (5-10 lbs) 2g
    4.5 to 8.8kg (10-20 lbs) 4g
    8.9 to 13.2kg (20-30 lbs) 6g
    13.3 to 22kg (30-50 lbs) 10g
    22.1 to 35.2kg (50-80 lbs) 16g
    35.3 to 50kg (80-110 lbs) 22g
    For dogs weighing over 50kg (110 lbs), an extra 1g is required
    for each additional 2.2kg bodyweight. The dose should be
    administered by mixing into the feed.
    Treatment should be repeated when natural reinfection with
    parasitic worms occurs.

Even that hasn't been enough to get rid completely and it's taken a second round of treatment and up to 3 weeks to see no larvae in faecal samples.

Well, he's just had a dose of wormer and hopefully we'll be able to get him to the vet tomorrow at some point.

Thanks for all advice given

• Advertisement
Advertisement