Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-letting during a Part 4 Tenancy??

Options
  • 07-04-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all

Myself and other half are finding it difficult to meet the monthly rent in our rented house and were thinking of getting someone else in to take 1 of the 2 spare rooms. We have a part 4 tenancy - I assume we would have to let the management agency know about this plan but would this be a case of sub-letting & more importantly would the request give them grounds to kick us out??
    We want to be careful before making that phone call!

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yes you must ask them for permission (not just inform them you are going to do it) and yes it is subletting.

The request in itself isn't grounds for eviction, but if they ask that a new lease be signed between the three parties or that you are not permitted to sublet and you ignore them, they are likely to do anything.

Did your original lease mention anything about subletting? Usually it is forbidden without the express consent of the landlord/agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miryan

Many thanks The_Morrigan for the reply on that, I will indeed let them know if going to bring in another person - and yes it is actually specified in the original lease that no sub-letting allowed- hah, I should have read this first before posting!!
    Thanks again for your reply.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

miryan wrote: »
    Many thanks The_Morrigan for the reply on that, I will indeed let them know if going to bring in another person - and yes it is actually specified in the original lease that no sub-letting allowed- hah, I should have read this first before posting!!
    Thanks again for your reply.

If the lease says no then ask first, don't organise another person and 'let them know'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This isn't sub letting as you plan to stay in the property. The person renting the room would be a licensee. You still need to clarify if that's allowed under the lease.

Advertisement