Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Unfinished House

Options
  • 07-04-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I am considering buying an unfinished house which the builder will finish (just kitchen, fireplace and wardrobes). The estate is about 70% occupied and the unoccupied houses all appear to be somewhat maintained (lawns are cut etc.) The estate is completely finished (all green areas, pathways etc. all perfect) We have driven around the estate late at night and it seems quite and we didn't spot any problems.

The house we are interested in is a semi-detached and the house next door will be unoccupied. I'm wondering what problems we might run into? or am I completely mad even considering it? I know it's a risk but the house is in the perfect location for us, has a huge back garden and is in a nice area. Not sure if the risk is too high though :) We plan on staying here for years to come

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Unless you're buying second hand or a show house aren't the majority of new builds unfinished when you buy them?
    I know mine was - I slept on a camp bed on concrete floors for the first few weeks, used a camping fridge and stove until my appliances were installed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 katief101

Yeah that's true but my main worry is the vacant properties in the estate, there are about 12-15 empty houses in total so it's about 70% occupied at the moment. Also it's semi-detached and the house next door will be unoccupied.

katief101 wrote: »
    Yeah that's true but my main worry is the vacant properties in the estate, there are about 12-15 empty houses in total so it's about 70% occupied at the moment. Also it's semi-detached and the house next door will be unoccupied.

12-15 empty houses is not a high amount and for all you know they could be in the process of being finished and sold.

Try talking to the builder/developer/estate agents about the estate.

I guess so, I asked the EA if there was much interest in the other houses etc. and he said there was but didn't give much more information and I wasn't terribly convinced! I guess the upside is we might be able to get the house at a good price at this stage and the estate is well maintained. There was supposed to be another phase but obviously that hasn't happened but in years to come they could build more.

I guess we will try and get as much info as possible first and then make a decision. I can't help but worry about the empty houses though!

katief101 wrote: »
    I guess so, I asked the EA if there was much interest in the other houses etc. and he said there was but didn't give much more information and I wasn't terribly convinced! I guess the upside is we might be able to get the house at a good price at this stage and the estate is well maintained. There was supposed to be another phase but obviously that hasn't happened but in years to come they could build more.

I guess we will try and get as much info as possible first and then make a decision. I can't help but worry about the empty houses though!

Why? It's not a ghost estate if it's well maintained and there is a 70% occupancy.

• Advertisement

Seems to me there is very little interest in the other houses though. The full row of houses adjacent the house we are interested in is empty. These houses have been vacant for the past 8 years! Also because it's a semidetached house what if there are issues with the house next door? Somebody mentioned about damp coming through etc. because of the heat from our house vs the cold from next door. There are lots of things to consider.

The houses may not be finished to a saleable state though. There has been an unfinished/empty block in my estate for nearly six years now - it doesn't impact me at all as the rest of the estate is full and well maintained.

The impact on being next to an unoccupied house should be discussed with a structural engineer/surveyor. When I moved in, I was the first occupant in my block, I had no immediate neighbours for nearly two years and I had no damp problems from cold unoccupied apts surrounding me.

Nobody here is going to be able to remove your fears as they don't know where you are buying. You need to talk to the people involved in the estate, the builder, developer, estate agent, neighbours

Advertisement