Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: RTE 1 TV to rebroadcast 'Dear Daughter' tonight @ 11.05PM

Options
  • 07-04-2014 3:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

RTE to broadcast Louis Lentin's Dear Daughter, chronicling the experiences of the late Christine Buckley and others at Goldenbridge Orphanage, tonight @ 11.05. This was the forerunner to the late Mary Raftery's 'States of Fear' series.

The Irish Times have an excellent article about the documentary here.

RTE 1 tonight @ 11.05PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I stumbled across this on TV. I have never seen anything so disturbing in my life. I feel compelled to watch, but know I will have nightmares for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Gheebag

Very disturbing

Well thank God there was a slightly happy ending for the poor woman. Jeepers, that was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I recorded this the other night and I'm only just watching it now. I've never been so disturbed in my life. I actually feel physically sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

I had to turn it off, the cruelty of it all...........those poor people

• Advertisement

I had to turn it off, the cruelty of it all...........those poor people

I felt I owed it to them to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jackal756

I don't know why but I watched it on player tonight
    God Almighty I mean unless your a mentally deranged sadist what sort of person
    Beats a baby because they laugh
    Pours boiling water on a child's leg
    Where does such evil come from I mean it's one thing saying they did it because they got away with it but unless you were seriously screwed up in the head you wouldn't do it
    A belt is one thing but to devote your life to inflicting misery on an innocent child

Jackal756 wrote: »
    I don't know why but I watched it on player tonight
    God Almighty I mean unless your a mentally deranged sadist what sort of person
    Beats a baby because they laugh
    Pours boiling water on a child's leg
    Where does such evil come from I mean it's one thing saying they did it because they got away with it but unless you were seriously screwed up in the head you wouldn't do it
    A belt is one thing but to devote your life to inflicting misery on an innocent child

Ireland doesn't have serial killers. Mammies put the 'strange one' into the church. :rolleyes:

sopretty wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't have serial killers. Mammies put the 'strange one' into the church. :rolleyes:

I think you might have something there either that or the regimented lifestyle and isolation makes them bitter and evil

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

It has to be the God complex when powerless humans are given a complete free hand in a powerful position not answerable to a single soul then you see the true dark side in this case we were hidden behind walls that no one cared enough to look inside many people are very cruel to their children but can't hide any religion that hides are the ones that are rarely caught it is sickening and leaves you despising the concept of organised religion
    Terri

• Advertisement

It has to be the God complex when powerless humans are given a complete free hand in a powerful position not answerable to a single soul then you see the true dark side in this case we were hidden behind walls that no one cared enough to look inside many people are very cruel to their children but can't hide any religion that hides are the ones that are rarely caught it is sickening and leaves you despising the concept of organised religion
    Terri

Maybe these people who claim to represent God would do well to read the part of the bible where it says
    Anyone who harms a hair on a child's head shall have a millstone tied around their neck and be cast into the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Sorry for bumping an old thread but could anyone help me find a way of watching this?

It's not on youtube or anything. Would love to watch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you e-mail 'tapes@rte.ie' they may be in a position to help.
    I've sent them an e-mail this evening myself (regarding both 'Dear Daughter'- and the 3 part 'States of Fear' documentaries- whether they are available- and whether there are any plans to show them again.........

Will revert if/when I have an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

If you e-mail 'tapes@rte.ie' they may be in a position to help.
    I've sent them an e-mail this evening myself (regarding both 'Dear Daughter'- and the 3 part 'States of Fear' documentaries- whether they are available- and whether there are any plans to show them again.........

Will revert if/when I have an update.

Thanks!

Both of those series were ground breaking eye openers. Everyone should have access to them. I'm still horrified at how little that's been done about the abuse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got an e-mail back from RTE- apologising, but stating that as they were only rebroadcast in April 2014- there are no plans to show them again in the near future. I was directed to tape sales- who may be in a position to sell a copy of the programmes- I didn't go down that road (my finances are shot at the moment.........)

If you get any further than I did- do please update us here.

Advertisement