Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 First Batch

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LtCustard

I'm currently getting a lot of pressure to why I'm leaving my current career, but to me the police is the best career, it's a complete different ball game :) excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jontkd

Does anybody have kids and things. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat of not seeing them for the duration of the training? Going to be hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

jontkd wrote: »
    Does anybody have kids and things. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat of not seeing them for the duration of the training? Going to be hard!

I've 2 kids going to be hard not seeing them as much. But harder for the Mrs not getting any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭El_Triboy

Don't have kids but I'd imagine the first 4 weeks will be the hardest and then it'll get a bit easier after that for ye! In the long run lads it's going to be worth it for you and them!

Don't have mortgage or dependents so its an easy decision in that regard, bit of bitch leaving all the friends, teammates, etc behind. No point looking at it negatively though! Go in, give it 100% and see where it takes ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jontkd

The next thing is deciding to tell them what the new job is. I can imagine playground arguments. I might just tell them I am doing the same job in a different place

• Advertisement

The next thing is deciding to tell them what the new job is. I can imagine playground arguments. I might just tell them I am doing the same job in a different place

Oh I'm not telling mine anything. They can't keep anything secret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Constablemaybe

Anybody else receive an email?

Anybody else receive an email?

Yeah I did

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jobforlife

Yes got an email too. Not sure if I'll take them up on that offer?

I think the Mrs will want to come see.

• Advertisement

It's only because I live an hour away she would have to come up in a separate car. Bit too much hassle for me I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Jobforlife wrote: »
    It's only because I live an hour away she would have to come up in a separate car. Bit too much hassle for me I think

Same for me, except Iv a bit further to travel! Anyone any ideas on how long the induction lasts?

We're the same and 2 kids to sort out

• Registered Users Posts: 26 policehopeful

I wouldn't be shouting the job change around folks, fewer people actually know the better. I'm 25 by the way, male, and leaving a good job for this. Something i've always wanted to do though

• Registered Users Posts: 26 policehopeful

Jobforlife wrote: »
    Yes got an email too. Not sure if I'll take them up on that offer?

is the email offering your spouses the chance to come along? would explain why I haven't received on, not married

Yeah it is. Or a friend it said. I'm not married but have two kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ransha

Good luck to you all embarking on your new career!!!! You will find Garnerville probably one of the most challenging and stressful yet fun and rewarding things you ever do especially on the day you are standing in that parade square when you pass out. It really is a once in a lifetime experience that so very few of us are fortunate enough to go through. You will laugh and cry but work hard and you will enjoy it. I'm in my 8th year of the job and have to say I love every second of it.

Ransha wrote: »
    Good luck to you all embarking on your new career!!!! You will find Garnerville probably one of the most challenging and stressful yet fun and rewarding things you ever do especially on the day you are standing in that parade square when you pass out. It really is a once in a lifetime experience that so very few of us are fortunate enough to go through. You will laugh and cry but work hard and you will enjoy it. I'm in my 8th year of the job and have to say I love every second of it.

no regrets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ransha

None at all!!!! Love it!!! There are of course days you would love a 9-5 job for example when you've went in to do a 10 hour shift and coming to the 17th or 18th hour there's still so sign of going home anytime soon. You will see the best and worst of society, help people when they are at their lowest and most vulnerable but I wouldn't change my job for the world. I feel lucky to have a job that I love and also affords me a good standard of living

Ransha wrote: »
    None at all!!!! Love it!!! There are of course days you would love a 9-5 job for example when you've went in to do a 10 hour shift and coming to the 17th or 18th hour there's still so sign of going home anytime soon. You will see the best and worst of society, help people when they are at their lowest and most vulnerable but I wouldn't change my job for the world. I feel lucky to have a job that I love and also affords me a good standard of living

Im so excited to start !! still has hit me that ive pretty much made it and ill actually get to do this sorta work, its nice to hear from someone that after 8 years they still love it ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Good luck guys!
    Jealous of you lot hopefully will be in after
    Give us loads of tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Came across this news article and thought this would be the most appropriate thread for it:

http://www.impartialreporter.com/news/roundup/articles/2014/04/26/404899-mla-says-f-district-understrength-by-40-police-officers/
    “We will have our first new students coming to the district in September or October.”

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

Any of the people in the first intake know how big it is? I understand it is usually in multiples of 16 due to class sizes so I am guessing maybe 32 or 48?

Maverick89 wrote: »
    Any of the people in the first intake know how big it is? I understand it is usually in multiples of 16 due to class sizes so I am guessing maybe 32 or 48?

There is as far as I know 41

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Banti

Guys - hope all is goin well - will see you soon as I am in the second squad. Does anyone know if the NI allowance is still paid? Think it's about £260? If you don't want to comment on here a PM would be great. Thanks in advance

Advertisement