Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nooob, what bike

• 07-04-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

You probably get asked this question all the time but... I am looking to do bike lessons and get a license. I have messed around on bikes in the past but nothing licensed or on public roads. So my question is would I be better off to have a bigger bike like a 600 and restrict it down until I have my license or go with say a 250 bandit while I learn. I believe it isn't like it used to be where you had to have a 33kw motor on your provisional. The restriction would only be so I can get used to it as its been a long while since Ive even been a passenger.

About me, I'm 35 male and drive a van for work and a car for home. Don't think a ncb can be used from a car across though.

Thanks for all helpful replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At 35 you can go unrestricted after doing the IBT. I would take a gander through the sticky at the top of the thread.

I'd start with a normal twin cylinder 600, they are a good mix of power and weight. Honestly, I've been driving for 6 years now and the 600cc sports are too quick for me. The 1000cc bikes are monsters most of the time.

I'm going to caveat this by saying you should factor in by saying you should think about forking out for some 1 to 1 advanced training. As a former van driver, you undoubtedly have some bad driving habits for a bike. And you're heading into that danger group of late thirties/forties back to bike people who have a very high risk of a single vehicle accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get a sensible 600/650, that said I started on a 250. It sounds like you are being sensible about it as you're considering a 250 or restricting a 600 even though it's not necessary. Once you do the IBT and get some careful miles under your belt you'll be fine.

Car NCB doesn't go across to your bike policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Thanks for replies Guys, Last thing I want to do is end up as road kill. There is an off public road training center near to where I have just moved to so I'll be heading up there for some decent training. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I started as a teen and went 50-> 125-> 250-> 600.

Your height and weight will be factors in which bike suits you, but above all else do your (ibt) training and if you can, find a instructor with a few bikes (so you can see what you like).
    A good instructor will also be able to recommend and maybe even look at a prospect bike for you if you ask him kindly or compensate him.
    If is was going to give a blanket answer I'd say buy a faser, bandit or an sv650.
    just remember if you are looking at 600s that they are not all created equal a cbr600 or a Kawasaki 636 are completely different animals to the sv650 or dragsters or Harleys of this world.

If you have not booked your training yet I did my ibt with Mick Finlay, from http://roadtraining.ie/
    And he got me through my full test fist time.
    He is on the forum his user name is lookbehindyou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

For my first bike (never ridden anything before) I got a restricted Bandit 600 (only restricted cos i couldnt get insurance otherwise, i was 25 at the time). Between that and a good instructor for your IBT (18 hours) i dont think you'll need anything else and you should do fine. I found the restricted 600 perfect and glad that i didnt get something smaller (not too big not too small), took out the restricter kit after i got the full licence.

Also dont buy a bike before you have the IBT completed. The IBT will give you an invaluable insight into which bike suits you. Good luck mate.

• Advertisement

I started as a teen and went 50-> 125-> 250-> 600.

Your height and weight will be factors in which bike suits you, but above all else do your (ibt) training and if you can, find a instructor with a few bikes (so you can see what you like).
    A good instructor will also be able to recommend and maybe even look at a prospect bike for you if you ask him kindly or compensate him.
    If is was going to give a blanket answer I'd say buy a faser, bandit or an sv650.
    just remember if you are looking at 600s that they are not all created equal a cbr600 or a Kawasaki 636 are completely different animals to the sv650 or dragsters or Harleys of this world.

If you have not booked your training yet I did my ibt with Mick Finlay, from http://roadtraining.ie/
    And he got me through my full test fist time.
    He is on the forum his user name is lookbehindyou

Thanks for the reply, I'm 6'4" and 15 stone. I'm not really looking for something that can tear my skin off just something that is quick enough to get around and I do like the style of the bandit, ( street fighter?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ElKavo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I'm 6'4" and 15 stone. I'm not really looking for something that can tear my skin off just something that is quick enough to get around and I do like the style of the bandit, ( street fighter?)
    You're going to be a little cramped on a few bikes. Bandit shouldn't be too bad.

Have a look at the Honda Transalp and the BMW F650GS. They're both great bikes and are a littler taller than some of the others.

Theres always demand for these sort of bikes so even if you decide you don't like what you get you should be able to sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

Kawasaki er6f great bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Vstrom 650 would ideal for you with your weight and height....very good all rounder to start out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

another vote for the Vstrom 650, but as said above, get lessons from someone who has a few bikes, try out a load, see how comfortable they are, i have recently had to get rid of my gsxr600 as it was just too uncomfortable and i bought it with my heart not my head.. so am back to my vstrom for the moment..

• Advertisement

Is there a bike the same size as the vstorm but in the bandit style? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

The Bandit 650 (2005-) is quite a big bike but not as tall as the V-Strom.
    It's a 4-cyl though instead of a twin.
    2012-suzuki-bandit-650-sa_800x0w.jpg

The SV650 has the same V-Twin engine but is not as tall.

HOWEVER, after a recent call with the Licencing department, it turns out that an SV650 DOES NOT NEED TO BE REStRICTED for the purposes of taking the A2 test as they have it listed as 25kW.

The SV650S (Same engine, just with a bikini fairing and slightly more sporty position) on the other hand is listed as 51KW and so MAY NOT BE RESTRICTED TO THE USUAL 33BHP/25kW for the A2 as 51kW is more than double 25kW.

EDIT:As Roadcraft points out in his reply to this post, it CAN be used if it is restricted to somewhere between 26-35kW.

To be clear, they BOTH have 51.5kW.

Now, I have the 'S' version so I'm screwed on the A2 bit (as far as taking the test goes, at least).

I wasn't gonna tell them their mistake and mess up those with the naked bike.

BTW, this was confirmed and double confirmed by officialdom. That's what they have written down somewhere and that's what they refer to when deciding whether a bike is acceptable for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Pique wrote: »

HOWEVER, after a recent call with the Licencing department, it turns out that an SV650 DOES NOT NEED TO BE REStRICTED for the purposes of taking the A2 test as they have it listed as 25kW.

The SV650S (Same engine, just with a bikini fairing and slightly more sporty position) on the other hand is listed as 51KW and so MAY NOT BE RESTRICTED for the A2 as 51kW is more than double 25kW.

Now, I have the 'S' version so I'm screwed on the A2 bit (as far as taking the test goes, at least).

BTW, this was confirmed and double confirmed by officialdom. That's what they have written down somewhere and that's what they refer to when deciding whether a bike is acceptable for the test.

SV650 & SV650S can be restricted for the 'A2' category as the restriction for 'A2' is 35kw not 25kw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Roadcraft wrote: »
    SV650 & SV650S can be restricted for the 'A2' category as the restriction for 'A2' is 35kw not 25kw.

True. Thanks for the clarification.

I should edit my post above, I was speaking on the basis of the norm up until recently when restrictions were to 33bhp/25kW (now if only suzuki released a 35kw restricted ecu!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There are, but Wendy Boy is right in pointing you towards a Vstrom.. They're a damn fine bike.

At 6'4'' you're gonna find a Bandit and the like fairly cramped & unless you get a faired one at your height you're gonna take a lot of wind blast.. I'm 6'2'' and find the Bandits tiny.

There are, but Wendy Boy is right in pointing you towards a Vstrom.. They're a damn fine bike.

At 6'4'' you're gonna find a Bandit and the like fairly cramped & unless you get a faired one at your height you're gonna take a lot of wind blast.. I'm 6'2'' and find the Bandits tiny.

Spot on MICKEY-MI, see what riding a wet day does for ya. For the record seen as its fashionable to tell everyone the vital statistics, I am 6ft 1 and 18 stone I dont find the Bandits "Tiny". They are a large bike, not tiny by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Spot on MICKEY-MI, see what riding a wet day does for ya. For the record seen as its fashionable to tell everyone the vital statistics, I am 6ft 1 and 18 stone I dont find the Bandits "Tiny". They are a large bike, not tiny by any means.

Cool, try a BMX and a calorie controlled diet for size then.

MICKY-MI think of my feelings m8.

And you of all people should know that muscle is heavier then fat.....and you know what they says about people in glass house's????????????

They should **** in the basement!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

versys 650?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll be doing my IBT in the summer so I'll get a place that has a few of the bikes mentioned to try them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I'm 6"3 and 12.5 stone :)

I rode a ninja 250cc for a while and i did not think it was cramped (not amazingly comfy either), I do how ever think that the sv650 and fazer are very comfy and have driven both for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Feck sake, it's like a AA type meeting in this thread! Hi, my name is Rosie and I'm a fat b*stard :(

OP, have a play around on this site for how you'd fit on a motorbike. http://cycle-ergo.com/

Height and weight do play a role in choosing a motorbike.

Pique wrote: »

The SV650S (Same engine, just with a bikini fairing and slightly more sporty position) on the other hand is listed as 51KW and so MAY NOT BE RESTRICTED TO THE USUAL 33BHP/25kW for the A2 as 51kW is more than double 25kW.

EDIT:As Roadcraft points out in his reply to this post, it CAN be used if it is restricted to somewhere between 26-35kW.

Please excuse my ignorance on this but what is the difference between the 2 and 4 cylinder? Is the 4 more tourqey? As I say I'm not after crazy speed. Just comfort and enough poke to get me out of trouble and pass what ever is required.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

twin is more torqey, inline 4 is smoother, and will rev higher (so higher power)

both will get you in, and out of trouble plenty quick, so dont worry about that

Alot of people would say that a v-twin is easier to learn on as the bike does alot of the braking for you (engine braking). I certainly found that the SV650 was alot easier to ride then my previous FZ6 as you are either on the throttle (accelerating) or off the throttle and the v-twin slows you down alot faster, more so then the inline 4. Just my own 2 cents....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

sv650 will be a lighter bike too afaik - something that should definitely be considered for a first bike imo..!

Thanks a million guys, great advice. You are all a fountain of knowledge. Cheers

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Feck sake, it's like a AA type meeting in this thread! Hi, my name is Rosie and I'm a fat b*stard :(

OP, have a play around on this site for how you'd fit on a motorbike. http://cycle-ergo.com/

Thanks, that is a very handy site. Although I think I'm going to look like a moose on any of the bikes I've picked LOL. Hopefully the ultra realistic person figure wont be reflective of me on a the bike.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Height and weight do play a role in choosing a motorbike.

Clearly

fat-girl-rides-motorcycle.jpg

Advertisement