Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[STOLEN BIKE] - Cannondale in Portobello

Options
  • 07-04-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Spotted on Facebook:

This bike -

302129.jpg

was stolen from Portobello at 8pm on Saturday night.

Not something that any of us like to see happening so please keep and eye out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    Spotted on Facebook:

This bike -

302129.jpg

was stolen from Portobello at 8pm on Saturday night.

Not something that any of us like to see happening so please keep and eye out.

FRom a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I don't honestly know where it was stolen from. Hoping it wasn't left outside a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the bike does not quite look like on the pic modifications are;

-White Ism Saddle
    -Handle bar and tri bar tape, not white, but dark blue
    -training wheels (distinctive see here for pic) http://www.viaciclante.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?search=2976
    -frame size 54.

and i was told it was not stolen from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Makes me mad reading something like this. Hope she has insurance on wherever it was stolen from.

Will keep a look out.

Always makes me wonder what they do with a bike like this - probably take it asunder and sell for parts. I certainly hope that anyone offered the bike who would actually use it would report the seller!

Podge83 wrote: »
    Makes me mad reading something like this. Hope she has insurance on wherever it was stolen from.

Will keep a look out.

Always makes me wonder what they do with a bike like this - probably take it asunder and sell for parts. I certainly hope that anyone offered the bike who would actually use it would report the seller!

You have more faith in people than I do.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    You have more faith in people than I do.

Hope, not faith!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

on twitter this morning that it was stolen out of the back of a car

I always found that people forget how insecure their houses actually are.

A front door/back can be opened quickly and if the thief knows what they want its in and out and feck the alarm. By the time anyone reacts the bike/wheels are gone.

Even if your bike is in a house/apartment it should be locked to an immovable object - ideally a big ass ground anchor. Also put an unlocked (poorly locked) cheaper bike (commuter) near them "feck that shiney bike, I'll just take this one".

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/All-Products/c-1-73/

Give them a call and tell them your set up and they can recommend appropriate chain/anchors. I think there's a few on here that have their chains/anchors.

Have a look at the video on their homepage too.

Notwitch wrote: »
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/All-Products/c-1-73/

Give them a call and tell them your set up and they can recommend appropriate chain/anchors. I think there's a few on here that have their chains/anchors.

Have a look at the video on their homepage too.

+100000 for this crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

+100000 for this crowd.
    I'm chiming in again here with a +1 for this crowd. I'm a student and have lived in rented accommodation around Dublin for the last few years and this gives a little bit of extra peace of mind leaving my nice bike in my room. Even if you live in a shared apartment/house etc, this meant that I knew nobody would be messing on my good bike. I lock my commuter to the bottom of a radiator pipe most nights too, using my regular kyrptonite.

You're always going to get people replying with ridiculous scenarios trying to take from your security measures... "Oh sure you could just drive a jeep through your front window and use an oxy-fuel setup to clear out any chains...."

The way I see it, every little thing you can do to make it more difficult for theft is worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Would you recommend these locks over something like the Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit lock? My current lock to bike value ratio isn't great so have been looking for a good upgrade. Just a lock mind, none of this drilling into floors/walls stuff.

Would you recommend these locks over something like the Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit lock? My current lock to bike value ratio isn't great so have been looking for a good upgrade. Just a lock mind, none of this drilling into floors/walls stuff.

Fahgeddaboutit is a nice lock. I have one and use it on my cheap "who really cares" commuter.

The Fahgeddaboutit is a minor inconvenience to a determined bike thief. A minute at most.

If you want a lock for a race bike or a decent bike then you need to get a proper "big boy" lock..

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Fahgeddaboutit is a nice lock. I have one and use it on my cheap "who really cares" commuter.

The Fahgeddaboutit is a minor inconvenience to a determined bike thief. A minute at most.

If you want a lock for a race bike or a decent bike then you need to get a proper "big boy" lock..

Well the Fahgeddabout it lock it 100 Euro on chain reaction. So for an extra 50 quid I could get something like this:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=73&CAT_ID=73&P_ID=123&btnProduct=More+Details

Is it worth the few quid extra do you think? At the minute i've an Abus lock I paid 30 quid for 3 years ago so anything is probably an improvement!

Well the Fahgeddabout it lock it 100 Euro on chain reaction. So for an extra 50 quid I could get something like this:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=73&CAT_ID=73&P_ID=123&btnProduct=More+Details

Is it worth the few quid extra do you think? At the minute i've an Abus lock I paid 30 quid for 3 years ago so anything is probably an improvement!

Make sure you don't lose the key

Factor in shipping as well! those locks are HEAVY.

I have a IV with a Squire padlock, the padlock is fantastic, you can see security was the main concern when making it.

I'm actually going to get a III with a squire for my when I commute with a good bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the cannondale bike is back with the owner.
    thanks

peter kern wrote: »
    the cannondale bike is back with the owner.
    thanks

Nice One!

Advertisement