Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DynDNS finally kills free service

Options
  • 07-04-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭

The free DynDNS service ends next month. For the last while you have to log into your account every 30 days to keep it active. I guess too many ppl were doing this to they are now pushing everybody towards the paid service. I would use another free service if I could the only problem being my router only offers DynDNS DDNS as an option. Bit pee'd off by this move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hmm i haven't gotten any communication about this.. I've a reminder set to login every 30 days, its been working well up to now. Like yourself my router only offers dyndns as an option. Looks like I'll have to do some research tonight on alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Occasionally I need access to my NAS, Im going to try this.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1998500

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Have you tried noip.com then instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Ok I get my email last night telling me to start paying up. After a bit of research I've registered with noip.com but rather than go for another free account like I did with dyndns (which also requires logging in every 30 days and might end up discontinued like dyndns eventually) I've registered a .com domain and signed up for a years service. About 25 euro for both registration and dns services for the year. As it turns out my router does actually support noip.com for dynamic dns so once my registered domain propagates I should be up and running again. Dyndns can go eat a bowl of dicks with their 10% discount! I'll keep T-K-O's suggestion in mind for emergency planning. And I always have teamviewer if I'm really stuck and need to figure out my current IP. Time to start updating my bookmarks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Got rid of them ages ago. It was a dick move: Get big by being free. Force charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Khannie wrote: »
    Got rid of them ages ago. It was a dick move: Get big by being free. Force charges.

Exactly. So many router FWs only support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

****e, this is a real pain in the arse. I was looking at getting vodafone to lease me a static IP, €6 per month! Feckers! I might just upgrade to DynDNS pro for €18 for the year.

I know there are other free solutions available but it would involve changing alot of DNS entries, better worth my while to pay the €18 id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I think eircom is 50 once off for a static ip. I couldn't live without one now!

Advertisement