Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Seedlings

• 07-04-2014 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Last Autumn we trial planted a couple of hundred beech seeds with a view to using these as part of our hedge in our new build. We used as researched a number of containers and pushed the seeds in quite close together so as best to up the chances of good coverage.
    Well over the last two weeks a lot of seedlings have jumped up, so much so im worried they wont have enough space to last another year before they are transplanted. That they will overcrowd each other!

Any advice? Do I leave as is or risk moving some to other containers for more space to develop?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would usually expect to transplant seedlings anyway. Provided the seedlings have grown some actual leaves (the first two leaves that come up are not 'real' leaves and will not look like beech leaves) you can prepare some more containers, or a strip of space in the garden (with some of the same compost that they are in, in the channel) then, depending on the size of the container they are in, tip out the entire contents gently and separate the seedlings. As you separate them, drop the long tap-root into a deep enough hole to take the root straight and push soil around each plant.

Handle by holding leaves rather than the stem, it is easy to crush the stem at this stage. If the containers are too big for that, lift out a clump of seedlings, taking care not to break the roots. Do not separate a few and leave them lying before potting them, they will quickly dry out, pot each one as you separate it. Put them about 6 inches apart and they should be ok till you want to transplant them into their final places.

Don't forget to water them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Thank you Looksee...

The majority are up about two inches now and have the appearance of two leaves unfurling in top. When is best to start transplanting to ensure wider coverage? Right now or as you mention wait until more leaves appear?

Your help is much appreciated....

Thanks

Give them a little bit longer, you should see 'real' leaves soon, then you can transplant them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

I'd recommending waiting 'til the end of the growing season before transplanting (when they're dormant).

I'd recommending waiting 'til the end of the growing season before transplanting (when they're dormant).

I think that new shrub/tree seedlings can be treated the same as any other seedlings, thinned out as soon as they are big enough to handle. It would be advisable to plant them out as dormant plants when they are to be put in their permanent site though.

• Advertisement

This is the overcrowded situation as it is!!! Are the thoughts the same still of leaving them until dormant to replant/seperate

2014-04-22130643_zpscbfaf234.jpg[/URL

The advice on them being dormant is for well grown trees, you need to separate them out as soon as those little buds have turned into actual leaves. Transplant into deeper trays or a well prepared bed, hold them by a (seed) leaf, not the stem as you transplant them, handle them gently. Take up a handful of compost with seedlings at a time and gently shake and tease each seedling free from the others, leave a bit of compost if you can. Water them in well. They look great!

looksee wrote: »
    The advice on them being dormant is for well grown trees, you need to separate them out as soon as those little buds have turned into actual leaves. Transplant into deeper trays or a well prepared bed, hold them by a (seed) leaf, not the stem as you transplant them, handle them gently. Take up a handful of compost with seedlings at a time and gently shake and tease each seedling free from the others, leave a bit of compost if you can. Water them in well. They look great!

Will they be too young to go directly into their final resting place? Is the risk too great? When is dormant season for these, Summer end?

looksee wrote: »

Right, I think its time these were separated, the buds are all into leaves now. Im going to create a temporary home/trench until they are ready for their final resting place. I presume 200/300mm apart should be plenty for worst case scenario 2 years resting?

2014-05-08112847_zps1929bad6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

They look great. More success than I've ever had. Must try again later this year...

• Advertisement

Oh they look lovely! Yes that should be ok for spacing. I would tip out the entire block and carefully tease off the individual plants.

Bit of work for me then this weekend so!

2014-05-08112852_zps796ab1bd.jpg

Advertisement